How should i promote a female aritst

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The kid is tired of just making beats so i decided to get my hands a lil dirty and kick off my production company "Block Akademy Music". Im gona keep it small and focus on just two aritst. A male and a female... The male artist has kind of already put his name out there so the job is to take things from ground zero on up. I have this sexy 20 year female artist that needs a lil work but in today music if you can find a girl that looks good and can write her own shyt you got something. I got a few connects with mix tape dj's. Nobody too big but everybody starts off with the lil dj's and work they way up. My problem is with my male artist i know how to attack the market with.....(hit the streets/ the mixtape dj's the the radio and clubs) But i dont want to use the same tactics with ol girl. I need to know what is maybe the best way to promote a female artist....how should i go at it with her. should i try to take here right to local radio. I know its hard but i made a few bangers and the djs will give me the time of day. Should i put shorty in talent shows or something. Im new to all of this but i have a hunger for getting people names out there so im willing to do what is needed. If anybody has push a female artist what was your game plan as far as what direction you was gona take with her.

nasir jones

The Perfectionist!!
ill o.g.
She must fuck with the arista' Boss!!:)

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
As with any artist male or female, she has to get recognition and gain the publics respect first. Yes talent shows are good BUT I wouldn't suggest that until she has a following. It would really be terrible to her self-esteem if she flops {and I've seen some good talent flop}. It sounds like you are thinking of managing her as well as producing her music ( in other words, you want to hit it!..lol). Whatever the case, make sure that she is ready for "the crowd", start small with some airplay on the local radio stations, do some promoting thru the local dj's on the mixtapes and maybe letting her do her thing live on the mic. Make some 3 song sample CD's and put that out on the street. Also, let your male do a little promoting too, give her a few lines in one of his joints. If all goes well, take her to the next level by doing the talent shows and subjecting her more to the publics eye. Just take your time and guide her in the right directions.

good luck,--dacal

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dacalion...i respect that alot. its not that i want to manage them but i have that "Record company Ceo" in me so i like to take a lot of the load on my back but right now aint the time to try to do something like record company if anything simi like what violator do ever year. im not gona lie shorty is right ( when my boy came in the studio and seen her laying on the couch while i was mixing he was like HMMMMMM) but i got to learn now to keep things at a pro level. but im gona take your advice and give all that you said a shot cause it made a lot of sense.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Cope, I was getting at that...lol { I actually was gonna suggest that he post some of her work here for some feedback and to add a pic.} But I'm gonna keep it professional ;).

--dacal

nasir jones

The Perfectionist!!
ill o.g.
Yeah when you gonna drop something Fame?

T-Dash

Fo-net-ic-ly Spee-kin
ill o.g.
Just wanted to find out something...is she an RnB singer or a rapper. Cause in todays market, you gotta use the right image to sell.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
fame_keyz:

This is a serious question needing an apt answer. Hopefully I can give you some more information on this subject of artist promotion.

What Are You?
Do you have contracts with the female? Is it worth for you to commit yourself to these people through a legal agreement? If they signed with you, did they seek the advice of an attorney, and have you closed many of the loopholes involved in said agreements?

The reason I ask you this, is that there are differences in what your range of abilities regarding a commitment if you are a manager, a production company, or a record label. Of these three, what do you classify yourself?

If you're a manager, and you help this person out, it is very easy for them to fire you, because there are so many loopholes regarding a management agreement. Usually, managers sue after they are wronged, hoping for a settlement.

If you are a production company, and I'm Arista records, I can easily buy you out for a small sum, from your production agreement, which generally has a "walk away payment," basically ensuring you that you can get some money in the event that a larger entity wants to pay you off.

Finally, having a record company is the best way to bind the artist to you, in the case she wants to leave, guaranteeing a larger buyout clause than the production company. Furthermore, you have more leverage to sell your artist to another company because of the constraints on the artists placed by a recording agreement. Make sure these things are rock-solid.

Figure which is best for you. Consult a lawyer. I'm not a lawyer, so everything in this post is not legal advice. If I'm a major, I can move you out of the way faster than you know it. Even if you think you have a contract with the artist "ensuring" you something, you'll be without an artist quicker than you know it. There are a lot of loopholes in production and management agreements.

Production Company
If you're a production company (which you said you were), the buyout clause generally is where the money comes in, unless you can make the beats, and have an "in" with a record company through contacts, which will then look at you as a quality supplier of artists for an A&R rep. An A&R rep generally looks for a relationship like this, using quality production companies, because if the rep gets a series of good artists (like 2 or 3) signed, and all make money for the label, the rep can move up the corporate ladder to a better position like VP, etc. However, it doesn't sound like you have these type of big connections yet, and therefore, there are many "production companies" like you out there all trying to guide an artists' career.

If I was an A&R rep though, and you were a 'nobody,' but I liked the artist, I would seperate you from the project as fast as possible, and use people from the production companies that have already given me hits. You don't have their track record. So how do you get "in" then? Relationships. It's that simple.

OK, Promoting Your Artist

You need to find music conference showcases, or conferences of the artist associations of your country, and have the money to back your artist, have a slick press package, have her prepared to do interviews through coaching, have her look as good as possible (a personal trainer) and also some acting lessons would help. Can you do this? At the music conferences, you need the money, and the clout to get a showcase with some A&R men, take them to dinner/lunch, offer some form of kickbacks (legal ones... I can't tell you what they are though) some incentive for them to get in with your female artist. There are so many beautiful, talented young women that are gunning for the same spot as the artist you represent, what can you do to differentiate your artist's sales pitch from the others. If you know how to hustle, this is where that knowledge comes in. Don't believe anything the reps tell you, unless you are REALLY good friends with them, and watch your back at all times for somebody trying to take advantage of your situation.

Getting into a music conference showcase, and all the stated wining, dining, photos, clothing for the artist (for shows), and other investments can amount to over 50,000 Euro if you really put a lot in, and don't have a lot of contacts. I've seen it done for 10,000 Euro, but that's from a person that already had an in with a certain company.

It's not that easy. I don't know a lot about radio in your country, but you have to find some legal form of payola for the artist's song to even be considered by the individuals at the radio station. Can you get the song into minor rotation? One play of the song will not garner a lot of interest, usually. What about the rotation? How much will that cost? I bet it will be more than you know (several thousand Euro.)

It's a tough game, if it would be easy, everyone would be succeeding. Money and connections matter more than you think. Unless you are a business genius and find different methods of creating income from your artist other than the said statements. If you don't have a lot of contacts and money, you're going to have to find a different way of introducing your artist, and it may be a way that is targeted toward a totally different consumer... it all depends.

Sincerely,
God

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Good looks. Right now shorty is not my number one product...i got this 19 year old thats been ready since he was 15 but i was young too back then. I know i havent never posted a beat ( because i didnt know how but i do now) but my goal is to become a Hot producer not a beat maker so i didnt see a need to just post a beat...im cool with my skils but im gona post up a full recorded song soon. Anyways like i was saying. shorty is in training camp and right now she aint ready to be put in the ring with the pitts just yet but i need to get the ball rolling on other things so a good game plan is work out. My best friend is a entertainment lawyer(im not sure if that will work) he told me if i need any contracts work out he got me. i really put this post up to get some tips so i could brainstorm a lil. My main focus is my boy M-osa aka Mafiosa. I just put shorty on the roster so we havent recorded any songs yet but we have a beat and hook and waiting for the lyrics to get done. Right now i know i will lose a lot of time hoping this or that artist hears my beat and i get put on. I like hard work and the challenge of turning someone into a star and thats my goal right now.

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Yo Fame! I'm in the same boat. I have a an 18 year old who's hot to death. Eye and ear candy. I was almost ready to throw in the towel until I saw a record show of this chick. For the first time I really feel good about what I'm doing. It's someting that is appealing about a female artist. Aside from being attractive, I find something equally as interesting.

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Shorty is 20 years old im 23. Myy older sister who is married to shorty uncle . My sister pass me a lil demoe of shorty singing and rapping. Right now i want to focus on her rapping. I hate working with females because they want to do something but dont want to work for it and i cant deal with them but me and shorty had a long talk and what i got from her was the fact she drop out of college in the pass because she was in the studio too much(thats a good and a bad thing but shes going back to school now) and she is a really focus person and can take someone telling here what to do. i like the fact that she is house broken in the studio she understands how everything go. She just got a few bad habits. I know deep down to get my self out there i must get someone else there too. I think these two artist have a lil something.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got kind of the same situation.
I got 4 "artists" 2 are my cousins. 1 is my brother. And the other a good friend.
My brother and friend are a group . My cousin(male ) is a solo rapper and beatmaker(not producer) and my other cousin( female ,22) is a singer(yes she is what is considered attractive, and she can realy sing too,like that matters lol)

Basically im in the same situation as yall.
My singer used to deal wit some other dudes around her way and she used to be in the studio so she knows how things work. She's pretty much been "developed" by the other dudes she was messing with tho so my job is easy. She's damn near commercialy ready. My rapper are another story.(more on that later).

She realized I was serious in what im doing and who better than fam to work with.

I know I should still be worried bbout someone stealing em from me cause its not my fam tryna screw me, but the other people.
But I feel like I got a lil security in working wit my fam.

Also my company is not a " legal" company yet and I don't have any contracts wit any of my "artists" my question is not should I get contracts and copy right and all that cause I know that's mandatory. But at the stage im in do I need to involve lawyers and such to produce, record, and "distribute" songs for my brother or cousins ( yall understand what I mean?)

Also god thanks for ur post man . Your the go to guy nah mean. Allways have the correct info.

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
1:record a album with a few songs,atleats 5 or 6
2:Give them out FREE!!!
3:Boom!!! There it goes she got her public respect if she's tight because,I know everybody always want to hear local talent.Know what i'm sayin'