how do i get melody?

S

screwd-n-choppd

im new to this shit i been messing with beats for about a month and i got FL studio. its easy find a rhythm but i can get a melody. it sounds like a 80's joint. my samples are aight but i need to get more. but i messed with all the fx and options, i just end up with a rolling bass line. its aight but its not the sound i got in my head. i try to visualize a beat then make it. i've even been emulating some commercial beats just to learn how to get a sound. i reached a ceiling, help me out.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
its just sort of an awareness you get. you have to get to the point where you're not making a melody for the sake of making a melody, you're using melody to accent the rest of the track (if that makes sense). start simple...maybe build the melody off a sample you're using...hip hop tracks by nature are more rhythmic than melodic (since a meloy sometimes competes with the mc so it's gonna have to sit like that in the mix anyway. also, my advice to you, LEARN CHORDS and chord progessions (if you have a midi keyboard. and if you don't, get one). just listen to your favorite hip hop tracks and notice that the melody is usually not just one instrument, its the sample or a few instruments playing together...

hope this helps a little.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
i think how you are making your music is important. somepeople prefer software, others it's hardware. whatsoever as long as you can flow with it and it doesn't hold you back in the creation process

T

The Bastard

classic said:
Personally i think its something ur born with, either u got it or u dont. Thats just my opionion

class....
and u just happen to have it right playa ;)

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
classic said:
Personally i think its something ur born with, either u got it or u dont. Thats just my opionion

class....

Word

But maybe you should just get rid of FL Studio and try Reason 3.0, i don't know how they improve from the Fruity Loop 2 or 3 whatever version I was messing with back in the days, but that software totally sucks. my opinion and many people's opinion

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think this isn't quite the truth some people have a larger capacity for musical expression but everyone in order to progress needs to increase their melodic, rhythmic etc. vocabulary and understand new concepts in relation to playing and composition.

you can try basic things like following your kick drum with your bass and using accent sounds at the end of however long phrase you want to use and using pad sounds with chords using different inversions etc. of chords and some basic chord changes

just get a good scale chord book and go into piano roll and try out some different scales, progressions etc.

S

screwd-n-choppd

as for talent, we all born with it we just gotta find the median to express it with. if you got melody in your head then you gotta get the program to make it. if you tone deaf then shit stick to coloring.

word on that feedback. i got reason sitting on my cpu but that shit is a little bit hard to walk right into being wet behind the ears. with FL, its easy for me to get started. im new to this shit and i tried chopping on the piano roll last night and its was progress. but shit my samples for melody are weak, anyone know where to get some good piano, strings and flute samples? what it do

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
I have used reason v1 and every version of fruity since 2.7 and i have stuck with fruity thru it all. reason was definitly dope but the interface didnt really spark my creativity. the only other problem i had with reason was solved via rewire but anyways.

fl studio can do all the same shit all the other programs can do. which all goes back to the same shit everyone says time and time again. learn what you got.

and with that said. you need to learn some sort of musical thoery or else making a melody is going to be like forcing yourself to grow taller.

once you understand scales and chord progressions and all that shit
you can say ok now i got the tools so i can start building.

your stepping up to the plate with no bat.

members online