How do beat makers get signed?

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
O-H-TEN said:
I agree with just about everything that was said so far except that sometimes it's the the ideas that sells also. I have a friend who is a very well known producer here in europe. One day we were sitting in the studio going over another one of his over 50 top ten hits; and I asked him how in the hell did he get so far so fast in just producing. Now this guy has a major studio with all the bells and whistles; he said to me look around do you see all of this shit? Do you think I know how to use any of it? I said hell I would think that you would have to know something. He says hell naw dog. That's the problem with most cats tryin' to break into this producing game. They are too busy worrying about being technical and how to make their beats sound like some record that they heard. First of all, you have to have an idea or an original concept and then you can take it from there. He said , I am not a technician or even a good musician. I can play a few keys and what not; but the reason that I have all these hits is that I'm the man with the fresh ideas! If I need some type of instrument played then I bring in a musician and tell him what I want to hear and he plays it for me. If I want one of my beats to sound super professional or whatever then I take it to good mastering studio and get it tightened up! Protools?!! I got a cat that can turn protools inside out. Why should I rack my brain trying to master all that shit? I concentrate on the music. I have my ideas and I have in my head exactly how they should sound and I just use these technicians to bring that shit to life! I put my ideas where they can be heard and bam there's another one! I do just what a producer should do "I produce hit ideas that make hit songs!" Okay now, I laughed at him at first too; but I could'nt laugh at all of the gold and platinum records hanging on the wall. His concept made it seem so simple it was funny.
ONE

Eaxactly... That's what a 'Producer' does.... A producer doesn't even always makes the beat.... How you think puffy , irv gotti, and sug knight is considered "hit producers"... The thing is most don't have the resourses and luxury to just be the "idea man" ... We have to be everthing. The beat maker, the producer, the engineer etc..... , which to me works in your favor in the long run.... But its al about building your name as a brand and like ur friend said being known as the idea man... A good example is Pharell from neptunes... He can stop making beats altogether and still be 1 of the hottest producers... Cause he makes songs, concepts, ideas, hooks, etc......

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Like Class said make sure your shit is hot. That's it. Once u r confident your beats are hot, then u gotta worry about selling and getting signed. Play your beats to everyone, always promote. Alchemist was saying in one interview he would always have demo CDs with him cuz u never know when u meet someone. Go to studios, get an internship at a studio where u know they record hip hop. Tell them u wanna learn, no pay, doing the dirty work. Once u get on that u r already in the industry. Thats how Puffy started. He aint my idol but his life is definitely an example. Check out radio stations too. Say u wanna learn n shit. If they cool they'll take u to bring coffee and then it's up to u.

pirell

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i guess there are many routes to securing a foot in the door, there are also basic prinicples : discipline and respect, amongst others..

ill o.g.
i agree with what mostly every1 said... like classic said even if u create a hot track, a professional producer OD's u gotta always be ready to drop something new...

a way u could come up tho like peopel said mixtapes, talk to people especiallyy if ur frome or close to a big city like ny, evenetually u might get sum connects....now days it seems to be not what u kno but WHO u kno thatll get u in, from there its all on u to go beyond creating a buzz n go all out