Help with MIDI on FL?

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Alright, so I finally got a MIDI interface and I can use this keyboard I have on FL. The interface is an edirol UM-1SX, basically the cheapest one I could find, but when I hooked it up, there's basically no latency--solid. But I do have a couple questions that I was hoping my Illmuzik brethren could help answer.

1.) On Fl, is there any way to raise the general volume picked up by your keyboard? Mine is velocity sensitive, but unless I hit the keys like as hard as I possibly can, it's hella quiet on Fl.

2.) When I record a playing sequence onto the piano roll, the notes that show up always seem to be behind what it was and what it sounded like when i recorded it. for example, if i record some hats and it hits at the same time as the metronome function and sounds right as i record it, when i listen to it afterwards or look at the piano roll every note is on rhythm with the other notes, but they're all like one step behind. Any tips as to how i might fix this? Thanks.

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
1 dont know how your keyboard work's but mine has faderers you can assign to the volume and you should have a way to take the pressure sensitive keys off and make it all the same volume check your manual

2.when you record do you have it looping or continuosly recording mine loops. at first that happend to me to maybe its your timing or you dont have it looping.also if its looping and you recourd to much it erases the previous notes recorded

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nah, I have it on pressure sensitive on purpose, I'm just trying to make it louder in general while still being pressure sensitive. But Kenwop, on kind of another subject, what do you think is the best way to record MIDI in FL? I find it kind of tough to get the tempo right if I just open it up and start playing a little melody. Are there better ways?

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
o-a-ksavage said:
Alright, so I finally got a MIDI interface and I can use this keyboard I have on FL. The interface is an edirol UM-1SX, basically the cheapest one I could find, but when I hooked it up, there's basically no latency--solid. But I do have a couple questions that I was hoping my Illmuzik brethren could help answer.

1.) On Fl, is there any way to raise the general volume picked up by your keyboard? Mine is velocity sensitive, but unless I hit the keys like as hard as I possibly can, it's hella quiet on Fl.

2.) When I record a playing sequence onto the piano roll, the notes that show up always seem to be behind what it was and what it sounded like when i recorded it. for example, if i record some hats and it hits at the same time as the metronome function and sounds right as i record it, when i listen to it afterwards or look at the piano roll every note is on rhythm with the other notes, but they're all like one step behind. Any tips as to how i might fix this? Thanks.

Cant really answer #1, but for #2, That's called lagging or latency it's the time it takes for the info of your keyboard to be "recorded" by your program... to fix it, you need:

1. To quantize what you played, but then, you'll loose some of the feel you played
2. A better sound card... so the info are taken faster
3. A better driver for your sound card
4. More memory
5. On the Audio Setting (Option/Audio Setting), lower the buffer setting.

This is the length of the buffer FL Studio will use. Setting this buffer longer will avoid underruns that may occur while playing songs in FL Studio.
Longer buffer length = longer lag length.

But if you lower the buffer lenght, you have underruns... (looks like fruity is rushing... clipping, cutting, etc...) IF you dont have enough memory...

So you gotta find the level at which you'll have less lagging and not too much underruns.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks man, damn I thought latency was just how long it takes for it to make a sound after you hit the keys, so i thought i had no latency--Fuck! What are underruns?

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
o-a-ksavage said:

1. Are you using VST instruments or do you have a rack that gives you your sounds? Cuz with either one you can adjust the volume and in the piano roll at the bottom you can raise the velocity of it to get it sounding louder.

2. I'm sure it's a latency issue so just do what sygma suggested. Just a quick question, why do you record your drums through your keyboard? For me, it's WHOLE lot easier to just draw in the kick, snare, and hi-hat in the piano roll so I can get everything else on time like the melody on time with the drums. But if you got some good timing then just forget what I said.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Underruns? I'm not really sure, but try to put your buffer lenght to a minimum and play one of your beats where you have a lot of instruments and effect (that takes cpu power).... you'll hear reaaaaally clearly what it is...

I think it's when the soundcard isn't able to read fast enough the info fruity is sending it... so you hear blanks and clicks... snaps and pops... it's real annoying

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
savage , the best thing to do when your playing your own melodies is to find the tempo of osmething you want to keep first. I suggest laying down a basic snare just to keep you on point. Or you can do like i do.....just "key"style and record. listen to it and keep the parts you want. And about getting your notes in the right place, try quantizing and snapping ALT Q -

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I think we fixed this (via pm). There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone advised turning the mixers interpolation (via general options) from Linear to Sinc Depth 256. I had the same exact problem as o-a-kSavage and by tuning the depth down I fixed it (but don't have time to fully test out yet). This thread might be used to help others who did the same thing.. so far two people from this site afflicted.

peace fam

Retro

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
o-a-ksavage said:

1.) What if you just increase the volume of your channel (sample,vst etc) on the step sequencer or in the mixer? does your keyboard have a program or something where you can adjust the sensitivity of the keys? try a higher sensitivity.

2.) All i think of is it is a latency issue. when you record, drop the buffer length to as low as it will go or as far as your system will handle. record your inputs and stuff then when uve finished bump the buffer back up so u can listen without underruns. underruns are basically just when FL cant mix the live playback fast enuf and makes clicks and pops. using quantize on ur sequence will put it on beat but you wont always achieve desired results. learn to quantize then program the rest of your sequence manually to get what your really after.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Chrono said:
I think we fixed this (via pm). There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone advised turning the mixers interpolation (via general options) from Linear to Sinc Depth 256. I had the same exact problem as o-a-kSavage and by tuning the depth down I fixed it (but don't have time to fully test out yet). This thread might be used to help others who did the same thing.. so far two people from this site afflicted.

peace fam

It has nothing to do with the interpolation of the mixer, it's a audio driver issue. You have a midi interface that probably has less latency over the midi ports, but this latency is not your concern. There's no decent audio support for which leaves you 2ms of latency, same with normal soundblaster cards. What you need is a good audio card that supports asio, this would clear your problem. That midi usb interface has been a waste of money (unless you have more midi hardware) because any good audio interface has a midi I/O of its own.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Formant. I had that problem and apperently fixed it by changing the interpolation but I talked with someone inwhich that did not fix the problem. So I guess your right.. the interpolation wasn't the issue. Although it did fix my problem.

members online