Getting a good headphone mix on Live

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Anyone have any pointers for getting a solid headphone mix with live?

Ive got an m-audio producer usb mic

1# make sure that the headphones have the word "monitors" on the packaging and if you paid less than $60 for them (unless they were on sale) they're probably not very good for headphone mixing.

2# don't think you can get a "professional" mix with only headphones. Studio monitors and the right "treated" listening environment is the only place you can get that unless you have some seriously trained ears plus years of experience and know the "do's and don'ts".

3# You can get a pretty good mid to hi mix in headphones. If the highs are too high or anything sticks out too far headphones (good ones) won't lie to you about that. Things in the mid range to hi department too loud and getting various sounds and instruments into there own space (stereo field) is what I use them for. When it comes to the low end I don't trust in headphones at all.

p.s. what does you having that mic have to do with this question? lol

Olio Cad

ill o.g.
p.s. what does you having that mic have to do with this question? lol

haha yea thats what i was wondering. i thought i missed something.

and i agree with ldb. i would say don't ever mix with headphones alone. if you do that your gonna hear surprises once you play it through monitors. i usually do a "pre-mix" with headphones, bring the song over to my desktop and mix with my monitors. then i listen to it in every possible environment i can. ill bring a cd with the wav on it to various friends, and listen to it out of whatever system they got. i keep a little notepad in my back pocket, and ill write down whatever i think need to be changed.

and of course i do the whip test, as flylo calls it. drive around smoking weed and bumping your beats.