Do your prefer sampled or real-time hip hop production

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpnotiq

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
everything i can love a sampled beat jsut as much as i can love a composed beat, its all hiphop and it all can be dope as fuck. holla

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
real time lol ! why is there a delay on it if you sample ?!

sampled hip hop sounds better, its the 'true' hip hop sound its where it came from if you take away samples then what you have left is hip hop ! must of the crap on the radio results from too many people getting jiggy with a casio although admittedly there are crap sampled beats aswell !

Bloodybastid

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
There are real-time producers who can make beats just as good as samples. Like Mannie Fresh for one...if you listen to Juvenile's "Tha G Code" you'd know. I swear half that shit on that album sounded like sampled beats...but they weren't. But overall I have to say that sampling is one of the most essential elements in Hip-Hop. If you take away sampling...that's it...Hip-Hop won't be fun anymore.

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I gotta disagree when you guys say that samples is basically Hip-Hop and to me it isn't the "true" sound of it either cuz the samples are from many other genres. There is no Hip-Hop sample if you know what I mean cuz you can't find one and sample it again. And to me, Hip-Hop is infinite so it has no "true sound". I could bang on the table with a nice rhythm and say that's Hip-Hop.

But I prefer real-time things. Samples sound better, but it feels good to know you composed something nice and have that feeling that that beat is really your own creation.

Just my personal views.

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
All I've known is real-time. I've just scratched the surface with sampling. You just have to have the ear for both. I've always heard a song and said to myself 'Damn that would make a fiya sample.' Just realized that I was able to use samples in reason in the nn-xt about 2-3 weeks ago, so I'm looking to incorporate more sampuhlz in my music in the future. Its all about transforming what you hear in your head into reality, whether it be that loop thats off the chain, or that beat thats bangin.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Seoul P,
I agree with you completly. Its a great feeling when youve composed a beat that sounds like it was sampled. Thats the good thing about composition production. Its creativity at its finest and it gives the producer more of an outlet to shine as a musician. As for the whole idea that TRUE hip hop came from sampling other peoples music. Thats bullshit. True hip hop comes from anything you want. Just like my man said, if he was beatin on a table, thats as much hip hop as a song that has already been written and has just been chopped up in some program.

Holla Back
Cincinnatti, OH.

Holla Back!

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Elementree said:
Seoul P,
I agree with you completly. Its a great feeling when youve composed a beat that sounds like it was sampled. Thats the good thing about composition production. Its creativity at its finest and it gives the producer more of an outlet to shine as a musician. As for the whole idea that TRUE hip hop came from sampling other peoples music. Thats bullshit. True hip hop comes from anything you want. Just like my man said, if he was beatin on a table, thats as much hip hop as a song that has already been written and has just been chopped up in some program.

Holla Back
Cincinnatti, OH.

Holla Back!

true hip hop doesnt come from sampling other peoples music....lmao...gotta do ur history buddy

hip hop beats started with a DJ juggling 2 breaks (records) usually from the same song while the MC rhymed over it

if you know ur music you can always tell a composed beat from a sampled one, unless it was interpolated (replayed by musicians) and engineers tweaked it to have that old sound, but it still doesnt sound as dirty like the original (think Kanye)

not tryin to get into the war just had to drop some FACTS not opinions

.....and one more thing that I noticed, the only people that be saying that true hip hop is not sampling mess is people who compose

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
im mainly a sample based producer but i dont beleive that "true hip hop" is sample based. all that matters is the end result. true hip hop is the message and integrity of the men and women presenting it. not how it sounds.

and thats real

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MarkN said:
..... people getting jiggy with a casio !
Ha ha ha...

There's something about sitting in some old as mildew infested basement digging through old records, that never made it to the public, to find that perfect sound....It's a staple that every producer should experience. Its sort of a way to know where your roots came from.....like KRS says in that one video "You've got the visit the Bronx" to know where hip-hop came from.
Im not saying you HAVE TO DO IT.....just KNOW where hip-hop started.

I would have to agree that I prefer sampling....but people can make dope shit on a keyboard as well

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
FistFulloDollaz said:
true hip hop doesnt come from sampling other peoples music....lmao...gotta do ur history buddy

hip hop beats started with a DJ juggling 2 breaks (records) usually from the same song while the MC rhymed over it

if you know ur music you can always tell a composed beat from a sampled one, unless it was interpolated (replayed by musicians) and engineers tweaked it to have that old sound, but it still doesnt sound as dirty like the original (think Kanye)

not tryin to get into the war just had to drop some FACTS not opinions

.....and one more thing that I noticed, the only people that be saying that true hip hop is not sampling mess is people who compose

I've sampled before man, trust me.

And yeah I know that's how Hip-Hop started, but that isn't it's "true" sound cuz the actual sound is coming from other genres and I'm not saying composing is either. I said in my other post that Hip-Hop has an infinite sound, it's everything.

Not tryna get into a sampling vs.composing war, just droppin the facts haha.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I really dont get why people who sample say that composed beats are not true hiphop... Really, I like both style and samples do give a "grimmy" "rough" sound to the music... but does it really HAVE to be that way?

I like to cut drum beats and add compositions or cut a sample to use as an instrument (changing it's pitch, streching it etc...) and I also like to use generators... that what hiphop should be... a blend, a mix of different flavors.

If you stick to East Coast beats... well, you'll be labeled as a east coast beatmaker (and that's all right). But I prefer to be a beatmaker with versatility... using every tool I can use.

As for real time (I guess you mean composed beats over a midi controller), I like it a lot, but I prefer REAL real time... a live band is, to my opinion 100x better than sampling or composing on the computer... If I could do live shows with a mix of composed, sampling and live musician, that would be as great as it could be!

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
i like a mixture. I usuially have my drums and a few nice sounding wavs that help express what i'm going for in the mp and then use samples to further express where i want to go with it. It's all about the sound i'm looking for and samples definetly help

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
sampling got my true love,
most music these day aint samplebased, so in most cases i aint feelin it cos it doesnt got that vibe in it that can make me aprecciate it to the fullest extent.
so sampling to me is the truest form, that doesnt mean i cant aprecciate non sampled music, i can and i do a lot of times. but when it comes to hiphop the things i love most are samplebased.

Status
Not open for further replies.