difference btwn ascap/bmi and emi/universal/warner chappell/sony/bmg

X

xkwest

difference btwn ascap/bmi and emi/universal/warner chappell/sony/bmg

this shit is getting me confused...

bmi and ascap are peforming rights organizations.....

emi/universal/warner chappell/sony/bmg are music publishing companies....

i was reading up on both of these things at it seems like they do the same shit.... license your copyrights as royalties and shit.....
someone with knowledge please clear this shit up.... for me...
am i supposed to sign with a (P.R.O...example ascap).... and a (music publisher...example universal)???

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
the thing is that you can make your own publishing company if you sign with a major, and then you own your publishing, like Alice In Chains' Jerry Cantrell had his own "Buttnugget Publishing." That may or may not be administered by a publishing company that you previously signed a deal with.

You can get out of it, BUT THIS IS IMMORAL.

If you are in a band, and you as "xkwest" and whatever your real name is sign to a publishing company, like Chappell, but you want out of the deal because it's bad, rather than doing a legal fight to get out of the contract, you can claim that your mom, dad, sister, or brother wrote the song, have them credited as primary writers under their own publishing company (assuming you already know the ins and outs of this complex matter) and have the money go into another account, hence, circumventing paying the publishing company that is supposedly ripping you off, if they are taking a lot (like 75% for example.)

I can think of a lot of people that did this, the most notable was Bob Marley when Blackwell made him sign his life away, essentially.

Sincerely,
God

S

slicemysta

right...

And there are advantages/disadvantages of both...You would want to be down with a publishing company in order to get your material out to a lot of different media (TV, commercials, movies, etc), and get paid for it...But the publishing company may take 50% of the money made, and/or half of your publishing, because they are helping you with getting your material out there...

You can do your own thing and just have ASCAP/BMI/SESAC, then find a publishing adminstration company to help...The best thing about administration is they usually don't want to take any of your publishing...just a percentage of whatever money made (15%-25%)...

So basically, get the ASCAP/BMI, then look into someone for administration...If they like your material, they'll more than likely put you on...

Peace,
Slicemysta

members online