Did They Stop Making the MPC 2000xl?

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
My cousin told me that, but I was doubting him, did they really stop it?

SyN

SUICYCO MANIA
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
formant... just out of curiousity... what do you need 2 MPC2KXL's for? seperate setups, or running together in the same?

as far as the blue... at least it is something different... i have been working with many mpc's over the years... everyone brings one in and its always the same... the blue is not that bad... it could be worse... look at the Special Edition MPC 3000 they put out a few years ago... THAT WAS UGLY AS "FUG"!!!!! who the hell had the idea to put the damn musical notes all over it... looked sorta fisher price like to me even...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I 've been thinking about getting mine done camouflage or plain army color ( mash steelo ).

2?
I use them for a million different purposes, I dont have a stationary production kit so I switch setups quite frequently and I dont rely on the mpc only to produce either.

At the moment I've put both of them to rest in the control room, one is sync'd to logic and works standalone with 8 out going in the patchbays. The other functions as mpd16 with note repeat, which works nicely on the ESI4K, S750, EXS24 and actually everything in the control room which is connected with midi. Sometimes I take one out the controlroom and hook it up the office desktop where I have a ESI4k, FL etc on NAD amp and B&W602's.

I've also used it a lot in midi thru mode between a set of hardware and logic in which I write the tracks to be recorded on the mpc. This comes in handy because my intended use of the mpc was for a live sequencer for basicly techno biased music to go along 2 portable midi riggs of gear. I'd part one mpc for drums and the other for synths so we both have a seperate focus on a live set. Arranging/producing a liveset with the mpc in midi thru mode gives some real nice convenience and ez editing opposed to flipping function buttons. It really makes a nice stationary setup if you add a masterboard to it.

The MPC is like a tapedeck but then it records midi and has some real handy playback realtime seq. features. Production wise it's good too, we've had some midi productions recorded onto the mpc simply for some tight timing when recording. Using 2 gives me some advantages and certainly gets some weird creativity into progression when 2 peeps are situated smoking on the studiocouch producing trax with the mpc in their laps. Sometimes we set ourselves with the musicians in the studio and both will pick a module or sampler something, make ouselves comfortable and start jamming with the pack/customer. Sometimes in a intensive setup, sometimes with whatever midi instrument I'm using over a speaker cabinet from a mic records. I've done livesets with one and two mpc's being sync'd to oneanother, in most cases that would be a liveset by 2 people, but not neccesarly if one is sampling only and the other midi only. It just depends on how I want to set up and approach a live set for which are also a million different options I have at hand.

So yeah, sometimes it's different setups at the same time and sometimes both at the same time in the same setup but on different purposes. That's what you get when things become portable.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I making plans on doing so, but I still have little time these days. I think in a month or 2 untill I give some indepth topics on pretty much anything.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I saw a mpc once in my life, but never used it. I always wondered, is there sounds in? Like piano patch like in Reason? Or you buy them?

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
So....what's the point of having a mpc? Couldn't I just load these cds, put them in wav, and use them in Reason or any software?

And where can I find these cds??

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Go to google, type sample cd in the search bar. Then filter the content on wav or akai format.

There are many points why you could want to purchase a mpc, but it's impossible to make you see why if you havent covered the basics of composing electronic music/samplism. If you cant read specs than there no point in explaining why this machine is good. Indeed, I'd say the same, why bother and stick to software. However, to give some basic key features;

1. Timing is better since the workstation has an embedded sampler, via midi means more latency.
2. Drumpads
3. Operates like a cassette recorder, but records midi/sysex instead.
4. Intuitive and Realtime sequence options.
5. Easy, but intuitive approach on producing songs.
6. Portable.
7. Doesnt crash or freeze ( OS 1.14 anyway ).
8. Etc, etc, etc.

I cant really say that I would recommend a mpc to anyone starting out, it's really up to your budget and idea's on your setup. On a low budget it can actualy just be a luxury or even unneccesary to have an mpc, but if you do have one and know how it works, well... just ask anyone in here... really, it figures why so many work with it and unexplainable why people would sell it ( noobs probably ).

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
What do you mean by "filter" the content on wav or akai format? You mean like typing this: sample cd filetype:wav ?

Also are there programs to convert akai format into wav??

Thanks for you help Formant

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
nah, just look for " akai sample cd ".

I know of cdextract being released with somekind of audiocard sometime ago. It can convert programs of many formats to other format and also extract formats to wav.

Other programs use import functions.

members online