College...

Ado

The Rappin' Dead
ill o.g.
Okay. I'm in high school still and I am now looking around for schools of higher learning that have programs that involve entertainment. I know that most of you are far away from Kansas City, Missouri and probably have better knowledge of colleges that offer good production or entertainment courses. So can a bro get some feedback?

T

The Bastard

Im Sure Theres A School Of Hard Knocks In A Hood Near You

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
wait for Class an Bluphi to reply cause they know the gauntlet better than I. Community College is all i know.. that an aun ill-type flow. peace an prosperity to your education B!

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
StressWon said:
College is over rated,,,just start sellin crack.

I agree, then 10 years down the road when you ain't got no friends start smokin it! lol..

But, yo... I would say if your looking for a College for music you may have to move around.. Full sail and Berkley are both good colleges but they are a little out of your reach..

PHV

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Berklee just started a hip hop production program... they let in like 7 people and obviously you're paying about 40gs a year, plus you gotta live in Boston.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
I dont know much about colleges with entertaiment programs.
But honestly IMO i think you would be bettter off majoring in something more stable like busniess. Then you can get a focus in business entertaiment. That way you will have many more options becasue business can be applied to anything.

Also if your black and have a decent GPA you can pretty much get a free ride to any school these days becasue there are so few going to college. They will throw money at you. Hit me up if your serious and ill put you down to some info If your white, u can apply to one of the historicly black schools(howard, FAMU) for a minority Scholarship

Here are some schools i can think of with a good business program. Most of the schools are in the south casue thats the area where i went to school.

Florida state Universitiy -my old school
Florida A&M <--- really good business program
Georigia Southern
University of FLorida
University of South Florida
University of Central Florida
Florida Internatinal Universitiy
University of Miami
University of Maryland
University of Maryland baltimore county
Howard Universitiy

classic

ill o.g.
PHV said:
Berklee just started a hip hop production program... they let in like 7 people and obviously you're paying about 40gs a year, plus you gotta live in Boston.

I dont know man, going to college for hip hop production sounds lame to me. If you gonna go to college i feel that you should spend your time & money majoring in something that is useable in the real world job enviroments....

Going to college for hip hop production sounds silly, think about it, in the real world when u need a real job, who is going to hire you with a degree in hip hop production????College is a big investment of time and money, you should use that investment wisely

Plus going to school for hip hop production is like going to school to learn how do DJ

Your suppose to learn that ish on your own

My 2 cents
class.....

P.S Id love to battle a cat with a degree in hip hop production, i would make them look silly

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
StressWon said:
College is over rated,,,just start sellin crack.

its not that overrated. depends on what you major in. some people go to college and major in math or english. i think thats pointless unless you want to be a teacher. but most people who do that end up having a cubicle job that got nothing to do with their degree. now thats pointless

classic

ill o.g.
P_1 said:
its not that overrated. depends on what you major in. some people go to college and major in math or english. i think thats pointless unless you want to be a teacher. but most people who do that end up having a cubicle job that got nothing to do with their degree. now thats pointless

Nahh a 4 year college degree in a well established field is far from worthless
the point is this , if u invest 20,000 and 4 year into a degree you want it to have some value on the job market. Yea there are lots of people that major in accounting who end up doing IT of vice versa. But the fact that they have that 4 year bacholor of science degree in accounting,CS, BIO etc..means that no matter what happens that degree will always have some value. They will always have that degree to fall back on.....

it dosent make sense if u spend the same amount of money on a hip hop production degree. What the hell can you do with that??

A. Nobody is going to hire somebody on the merit that they have a hip hop production degree from berklee(inside or outside the music biz).

B. Hip hop production is a self taught field, the only people who would major in something like hip hop production are people who have no clue what they are doing. if thats the case they should pick up a book.

C.hip hop production is a small niche, politic's driven area. A degee in hip hop production aint gonna mean squat as far as you getting work.

D. Hip hop production is based on skills, not certifications or degree's all that matters is the end product... I dont matter if u have a masters degree in hip hop production, if ur shits wack, u aint getting shit

class...

PHV

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
I dont know man, going to college for hip hop production sounds lame to me. If you gonna go to college i feel that you should spend your time & money majoring in something that is useable in the real world job enviroments....

Going to college for hip hop production sounds silly, think about it, in the real world when u need a real job, who is going to hire you with a degree in hip hop production????College is a big investment of time and money, you should use that investment wisely

Plus going to school for hip hop production is like going to school to learn how do DJ

Your suppose to learn that ish on your own

My 2 cents
class.....

P.S Id love to battle a cat with a degree in hip hop production, i would make them look silly

Class, they'd probably be a lot better than you. Berklee is the best music school in the world that doesn't deal with classical or orchestral instruments. Be assured that the people they are picking would probably know their stuff. Granted, I personally think that going to school for an artform that is meant to come from the basement, and from the street corner is pretty self contradictory, however I'm quite certain that they could come up with great sounding beats.

You say that you're supposed to learn it on your own, but the jazz "cats" of the 20s would have LOVED for juilliard to have a jazz program. All of them learned on their own, but now the best are comming out of schools. That's the evolution of the art. You say that hip hop is all skill? So is business for the most part, but look at the people managing at the fortune 500s... most of them couldn't get their MBA fast enough...

I would never go to school for something like that, but in my opinion picking something "for the real world" is loser talk. The biggest risks have the biggest rewards. A lot of people I know, including those with "real world" jobs that pay 500k-to many millions of dollars a year aren't happy with their career choices. I'd rather do something unstable and enjoy my life, but maybe because that's the luxury I have, being that my parents are fortunate.

classic

ill o.g.
I said it once and ill say it a again, going to school for hip hop production is a complete waste of time and money

Now if your going to school for orchestral arrangement, musical composition, or mixing and mastering then that’s a totally different story.

Unless Pete rock or DJ premier is going to be teaching these hip hop classes, it’s pointless. What’s going to be the curriculum going to be, Chopping drums 101?

If I did challenge a producer to a battle at Berkeley and they were better then me it wouldn’t be because they attended that school. I guarantee that.

PHV said:
I would never go to school for something like that, but in my opinion picking something "for the real world" is loser talk. .

No offense but your showing your age right here. Its easy to say that when your young and you don’t have responsibilities. Its easy to think its going to be like that for ever. But things change man people grow up and not everybody makes it in the music biz. What are you going to do if your one of the many that don’t make it. What will you say when you have car payments, kids to feed, bills etc.. What will your degree in hip hop production get you then?? Not much man… trust me.

My point is this, when going to school or doing anything of importants you gotta think long term. Call it loser talk if you want, but I know personally having my education and experience gives me a lot more freedom to take risks then most cats. I will always have a safety net… Unlike most people who think short term….

class…

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i just started university im doing creative sound & music , and its the best thing ive ever done, i used to be someone who wouldn't have dreamed of going to uni but it was coming to a point where i could see me heading into a deadend job wise and it woz a smart move going to uni ! plus the student life is great !

PHV

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
I said it once and ill say it a again, going to school for hip hop production is a complete waste of time and money

Now if your going to school for orchestral arrangement, musical composition, or mixing and mastering then that’s a totally different story.

Unless Pete rock or DJ premier is going to be teaching these hip hop classes, it’s pointless. What’s going to be the curriculum going to be, Chopping drums 101?

If I did challenge a producer to a battle at Berkeley and they were better then me it wouldn’t be because they attended that school. I guarantee that.

No offense but your showing your age right here. Its easy to say that when your young and you don’t have responsibilities. Its easy to think its going to be like that for ever. But things change man people grow up and not everybody makes it in the music biz. What are you going to do if your one of the many that don’t make it. What will you say when you have car payments, kids to feed, bills etc.. What will your degree in hip hop production get you then?? Not much man… trust me.

My point is this, when going to school or doing anything of importants you gotta think long term. Call it loser talk if you want, but I know personally having my education and experience gives me a lot more freedom to take risks then most cats. I will always have a safety net… Unlike most people who think short term….

class…

Well class, my talent allows me the luxury of talking like this. I'm only here for fun, hip hop production will definately be for enjoyment... Again, I never said I'd get a hip hop production degree... the whole idea behind it is people already good at producing going to Berklee to get exposed to jazz/funk/rock, orchestration and all other sorts of things which will enhance their abilities.

It's a matter of choice... in this day and age a hard working person can definately make it after failing.

T

The Bastard

tru that class, thats why i went to school for audio/video engineering, even if i dont make it in music, at least ill be able to work in the field. goin to school to learn music kinda defeats the purpose of makin music imo. you want yur music to be yur own not what sum teacher says it should be, if theres anything that hip hop has showed me its that theres no fuckin rules to makin music, no set way, i can bang my hands on a table and whistle a melody and thats my music, dont need a teacher to teach me that

PHV

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
BASTARD said:
tru that class, thats why i went to school for audio/video engineering, even if i dont make it in music, at least ill be able to work in the field. goin to school to learn music kinda defeats the purpose of makin music imo. you want yur music to be yur own not what sum teacher says it should be, if theres anything that hip hop has showed me its that theres no fuckin rules to makin music, no set way, i can bang my hands on a table and whistle a melody and thats my music, dont need a teacher to teach me that

These posts are typical of people who have never been to a music school. No teacher that is good tells how you to play something, they help you develop your own technique and thereby your own voice.

If you don't have the mechanics, no one will give a shit about how "musical" you are.