Blowing Up From The Basement

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
Very nice articles . . .

Very informative and well written articles, they actually got me motivated to go get up and do something after reading because I was being a bit lazy lately lol. Overall I enjoyed reading them and hope to see alot more in the future.

Thanks

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
H&R said:
Very nice articles . . .

Very informative and well written articles, they actually got me motivated to go get up and do something after reading because I was being a bit lazy lately lol. Overall I enjoyed reading them and hope to see alot more in the future.
Thanks

I'm glad to provide that shot in the arm to get you up and on that grind--->
Blowing Up From the Basement contains some VERY helpful stuff and those who follow it in some variation, will have more success than they previously had. I would make it more complex with details and actual examples, but I think its simplicity is what makes it unique.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
shadeed said:
I'm glad to provide that shot in the arm to get you up and on that grind--->
Blowing Up From the Basement contains some VERY helpful stuff and those who follow it in some variation, will have more success than they previously had. I would make it more complex with details and actual examples, but I think its simplicity is what makes it unique.

Shadeed, good stuff. Most of the people on this site have a decent chance of selling their beats up front to a production house. Major producers will buy the rights to a beat that's hot for $10,000 for all rights. Then they take it, and resell it at a price that's significantly higher. There's a lot of assistants combing the net right now looking for hot beats or getting cd's through intermediaries. This is the quickest way to make money.

A lot of people would sell a beat outright for 10K.

-G

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
God said:
Shadeed, good stuff. Most of the people on this site have a decent chance of selling their beats up front to a production house. Major producers will buy the rights to a beat that's hot for $10,000 for all rights. Then they take it, and resell it at a price that's significantly higher. There's a lot of assistants combing the net right now looking for hot beats or getting cd's through intermediaries. This is the quickest way to make money.

A lot of people would sell a beat outright for 10K.

-G

Yeah, G -- I agree with you 100%, but the target audience for Blowing Up From the Basement is definitely NOT people who are selling 10 beats a month via production houses, lawyers, and managers.
There are about 5-10 producers on this site, that if they had the entreprenuerial
spirit (or a good manager) they would be working producers RIGHT NOW,
that is something I'm sure we both agree on.
The problem is YOU know it, and I know it, but THEY don't know it!
My writing is slanted towards independent promotion and marketing for the artists and producers of this site because many artists neglect simple things that they could do in their hometown to build leverage and a fanbase and make a major come to them (eventually).
If you buy a bootleg copy of Fruity Loops, you are a "producer" in this day and age,
so I provide a basic guide for today's generation that they could actually use to help them get working!

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
classic said:
Great shit man, espically bout the barber shop, for those who talk to me on a regular basis know that i take ALL my tracks to the barber shop an get honest feedback. The shop is the heart of the hood which equals the heart of hip hop.... if cats is feeling u in the shop, u can go anywhere.

class...

Yeah, Classic I'm tryin to hit people with the unexpected but highly effective techniques---
If I was rapper, I would do all my "in-store" signings in barber shops in every city, as well as build solid relationships with the top shops in every hood that I could afford to travel to (on an indie budget).
ALL hood barber shops sell mixtapes and DVD and they are largely responsible for breaking new artists (believe it or not!)

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey I feel both of you on that, but I have to say that the barber shop is not the heart of hip hop ...more like a part of it....LOL, I know that Imma catch flack, but that's the truth but anyhow on another note I know a few barbers that rap, but the barber I go too is too busy playing ESPN or playstation, BET or some other artists for me to play tracks in there, even though I have also been able to do that before too though but there is bootleggers that come thru, I even remember the owner had his own lil display case with bootleg everything......but the vibe in the barber aint always gonna be honest though....truth is people you see and know in that setting aint gonna want to hurt ya feelings either though.....The Streets are the heart of hip hop not the barber shop....you gotta see the streets baby! but it definitely fits into your marketing in the hood as a whole if you have a hood to market too, I am lucky enuff to have lots of family that ie lil cousins and family all over the metro area that help me out sort of like a lil street team.....and of course 1 or 2 rappers usually can hook you up with other rappers, labels events etc.....networking, doing mixtapes, working with area artist thats the key man......you have to have the full grind on to get yourself out there....the late nights staying up editing vocals,trimming stuff, copying and pasting man I could go on and on, that's the part of production that transcends even just making the beats that a lot people underestimate unless you got an engineer....MC's a lot of times only see the beat....LOL they have no clue of the amount of time into a production....but anyhow I do ascribe to brute force marketing or a street team that will do it for you!

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Hey I feel both of you on that, but I have to say that the barber shop is not the heart of hip hop ...more like a part of it....LOL, I know that Imma catch flack, but that's the truth but anyhow on another note I know a few barbers that rap, but the barber I go too is too busy playing ESPN or playstation, BET or some other artists for me to play tracks in there, even though I have also been able to do that before too though but there is bootleggers that come thru, I even remember the owner had his own lil display case with bootleg everything......but the vibe in the barber aint always gonna be honest though....truth is people you see and know in that setting aint gonna want to hurt ya feelings either though.....The Streets are the heart of hip hop not the barber shop....you gotta see the streets baby! but it definitely fits into your marketing in the hood as a whole if you have a hood to market too, I am lucky enuff to have lots of family that ie lil cousins and family all over the metro area that help me out sort of like a lil street team.....and of course 1 or 2 rappers usually can hook you up with other rappers, labels events etc.....networking, doing mixtapes, working with area artist thats the key man......you have to have the full grind on to get yourself out there....the late nights staying up editing vocals,trimming stuff, copying and pasting man I could go on and on, that's the part of production that transcends even just making the beats that a lot people underestimate unless you got an engineer....MC's a lot of times only see the beat....LOL they have no clue of the amount of time into a production....but anyhow I do ascribe to brute force marketing or a street team that will do it for you!

Yeah the shop isn't exactly the heart of hip hop, it is an aspect but I just look at it as an under-rated resource that people (aspiring artists) go to and never think about utilizing.
It's also GREAT networking. EVERY barber I know, is cool with somebody who rhymes/
got beats, manages or whatever.

People might not wanna hurt your feelings but if you're HOT then people will tell you that,
and you can build off that for sure. It's more honest feedback in a shop than at a listening party or most "industry" boardrooms and settings like that.

I agree 200% about having that full grind to get out there. If you don't have a team, you probably won't make much noise out here.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
shadeed said:
Yeah the shop isn't exactly the heart of hip hop, it is an aspect but I just look at it as an under-rated resource that people (aspiring artists) go to and never think about utilizing.
It's also GREAT networking. EVERY barber I know, is cool with somebody who rhymes/
got beats, manages or whatever.

People might not wanna hurt your feelings but if you're HOT then people will tell you that,
and you can build off that for sure. It's more honest feedback in a shop than at a listening party or most "industry" boardrooms and settings like that.

I agree 200% about having that full grind to get out there. If you don't have a team, you probably won't make much noise out here.

Yeah man word up! but that is a very informative article though man, that was a good look and also the MIC wars, another artist I work with Jane doe has been up there to it a few times she told me its pretty hot though, anyhow thanks for sharing and also a lot of people dont know how much hip hop is in the DMV(DC, Maryland and VA)...that has not even had influenced by gogo even though a lot of it is, there was a spot that used to be really huge for hip hop and MC's called State of the Union back in the day , also how many flavors as a whole the movement is not that huge but there are some really good MC's and Producers out here though.....you have to get out of the house to see it for yourself, but here in VA we had hip hop love and sick MC's as long as I can remember, it was sort of the 2nd landing spot from NY when the movement was starting out and my cousins from Jersey and NY would come down, especially in areas like Richmond(Madd Skillz) and Tidewater(Timbo, Teddy R and the Neptunes)....Bmore always had a link to the roots too.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Yeah man word up! but that is a very informative article though man, that was a good look and also the MIC wars, another artist I work with Jane doe has been up there to it a few times she told me its pretty hot though, anyhow thanks for sharing and also a lot of people dont know how much hip hop is in the DMV(DC, Maryland and VA)...that has not even had influenced by gogo even though a lot of it is, there was a spot that used to be really huge for hip hop and MC's called State of the Union back in the day , also how many flavors as a whole the movement is not that huge but there are some really good MC's and Producers out here though.....you have to get out of the house to see it for yourself, but here in VA we had hip hop love and sick MC's as long as I can remember, it was sort of the 2nd landing spot from NY when the movement was starting out and my cousins from Jersey and NY would come down, especially in areas like Richmond(Madd Skillz) and Tidewater(Timbo, Teddy R and the Neptunes)....Bmore always had a link to the roots too.

I LOVE Go-Go, but I believe it's a separate entity and has a life of its own. RE performing
w/ Luda at the VMA's was the greatest look Go-Go has ever recieved. If I was their manager I would cut a new record and had Luda and other MC's guest spot on there,
folks gotta capitalize!!

A lot of people might not currently know whats up w/ DMV, but believe me when I tell you that's all gonna change real soon.
Style Warz ($500 MC showcase/downtown Bmore) and Mic Wars ($3,000 MC Battle/downtown Bmore) are starting to pick up steam and coverage and more and more
people will make that trip to participate.
The winner of the Mic Wars two weeks ago was a Philly dude.

Then, you got Tipsy Tuesday's, which lets MC's perform every week, and the crowds are good too and press is there. My homie White Folks (Octagon records) from DC came down and won the MC battle they hosted up in there. They actually have a lot of DC acts come down and perform --Murphy Homes Boyz, 20Bello,Conglomerate, and Contamination, C-3 from VA.
Actually, Skinny Corleone and the playas over at DC Rap TV do an excellent job of covering DMV hip hop-- you can air your video, sell your CD's/DVD's, get an interview, and promote your upcoming shows and album releases all on their site.

Man, there's so much goin on out here, I'm tellin you just stay tuned!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
shadeed said:
I LOVE Go-Go, but I believe it's a separate entity and has a life of its own. RE performing
w/ Luda at the VMA's was the greatest look Go-Go has ever recieved. If I was their manager I would cut a new record and had Luda and other MC's guest spot on there,
folks gotta capitalize!!

A lot of people might not currently know whats up w/ DMV, but believe me when I tell you that's all gonna change real soon.
Style Warz ($500 MC showcase/downtown Bmore) and Mic Wars ($3,000 MC Battle/downtown Bmore) are starting to pick up steam and coverage and more and more
people will make that trip to participate.
The winner of the Mic Wars two weeks ago was a Philly dude.

Then, you got Tipsy Tuesday's, which lets MC's perform every week, and the crowds are good too and press is there. My homie White Folks (Octagon records) from DC came down and won the MC battle they hosted up in there. They actually have a lot of DC acts come down and perform --Murphy Homes Boyz, 20Bello,Conglomerate, and Contamination, C-3 from VA.
Actually, Skinny Corleone and the playas over at DC Rap TV do an excellent job of covering DMV hip hop-- you can air your video, sell your CD's/DVD's, get an interview, and promote your upcoming shows and album releases all on their site.

Man, there's so much goin on out here, I'm tellin you just stay tuned!

Yeah I know Skinny and 20 but there are a hundreds more artists out here, I featured them and also Skinny has an artist and was writing reviews on my site I featured his artist on my site too and keep it real, keep the articles and info coming it will help anyone, I been grinding and thru a lot, the last label I was working just restructured and then the CEO's brother just got caught up, and is facing 113years over some nonsense anyhow man thanks for the info.....I know whats happening here though the world doesnt though dawg LOL.

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
dang those some real nice articles ya writing. Real thought provoking!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
shadeed said:
Yeah, G -- I agree with you 100%, but the target audience for Blowing Up From the Basement is definitely NOT people who are selling 10 beats a month via production houses, lawyers, and managers.
There are about 5-10 producers on this site, that if they had the entreprenuerial
spirit (or a good manager) they would be working producers RIGHT NOW,
that is something I'm sure we both agree on.
The problem is YOU know it, and I know it, but THEY don't know it!
My writing is slanted towards independent promotion and marketing for the artists and producers of this site because many artists neglect simple things that they could do in their hometown to build leverage and a fanbase and make a major come to them (eventually).
If you buy a bootleg copy of Fruity Loops, you are a "producer" in this day and age,
so I provide a basic guide for today's generation that they could actually use to help them get working!

The thing is that I am slanted from a major's P.O.V. I'm not being crass when I say that a producer this day and age is a dime a dozen. There are a lot of people submitting some pretty hot beats, and they're making money. I agree that with the right organization, they could do something. The thing is that some have it and some don't.

It's good to see you on the site.

-G

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
drebeatz said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: ......but it was short though!

I provide just enough to get the readers thinking about taking what they do to the next level. Blowing Up From the Basement comes directly from all the artists I come into contact with, and I just leave the names and actual situations out.

I'm meeting with a couple good publishers and I may put together one of those Independent Marketing Books for small label CEO's in the future, that will have all the info you need to get busy.