Bass Guitar Loops - What do the people want?

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Hey all. I'll cut to the chase with this:

The Situation
The bass lines/loops I create are not selling….I don’t just mean selling as in paying, I mean the free promotional downloads I offer are also not moving much.

I am getting some visits to my site (358 from Jan 23 until now) using various marketing techniques including creating them live on YouTube each weekday, posting clips to TikTok, FB and insta. There has been nothing but time invested into the marketing. But those visits have translated into one cash sale, and around 7 free downloads from promotional periods. No repeat free downloads or sales.

What do I want from this thread
I would like to know...am I missing something? Is there something wrong with the site when people go there…is the user experience complicated and so people think ‘shit man I’d rather browse TikTok than work this out…’

Are the loops good? I have a ton of fun making them but, are like that beat you make at 3am, then come back the next day and think ‘haha…I was on one. I have to stop with the tequila while I make music…’

Is chopping your own groove (and variations) from a 10-minute recording too much work or too much choice? I thought it was The Ultimate in choice and flexibility, based on my own experience with loops in the past...

** I offer two unique bass recordings, in two different key signatures at 10 minutes a pop, per package. You chop from that, the particular variations of the groove you like and spread them throughout your track, making it dynamic and have some movement. I also add a variation in some packages where if I have played shorter notes, I'd begin playing longer notes of the same groove, so you could use it for a chorus or something. **

I use chord progressions…. Is this off-putting to people who don’t know what they are or how they are used? Is it off-putting full stop?

I use various tempos for each package. From around 80-110 BPM. Is this not favourable for you guys n girls?

That’s all I can think of right now so, I will ask the more open question: What do you all want or, what do you look for in a bass guitar sample/loop? (I offer bass guitar only loops...my bass is isolated from the other sounds.)

Whilst of course I want sales, most importantly I want to understand. I had to stop (at episode 95…so close to 100!!) because of a wrist injury that I am healing from. I plan to get back at it asap, so any changes to the lines themselves I can make later. But any suggestions about what I already have such as, choosing a 16 bar loop and making that available as well as the longer 10 minute version (on all packages), I can do now. The site is here in my signature and the full 10-minute recordings are on YouTube under live on my unaufadox productions channel. Just skip the handsome guy at the start of each video...keep skipping until the bottom of the screen turns red. That's when I am in record and am recording what is latter posted to the site.

Thanks in advance for your time

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Maybe @unaufadox you should find you a vocalist or an emcee and team up w/them like how Brady Watt has done/does w/Ras Kass.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Who is your target market, who are you primarily marketing to now?

Also, what's your goal, to create side hustle income? Just have fun and attract an audience? Trying to form a band/group or find folks to work with regularly?

Just trying to think how to best help by "begining with the end in mind."

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Who is your target market, who are you primarily marketing to now?

Also, what's your goal, to create side hustle income? Just have fun and attract an audience? Trying to form a band/group or find folks to work with regularly?

Just trying to think how to best help by "begining with the end in mind."
My target market are people who like to sample music. They are the ones whole have the skills and patience to listen and edit something like what I’m offering. Also young or new music producers who need some ideas, want an authentic sounding bass sample, and who are finding themselves still. The need for a real bass sound it real (for the above people too) and it reminds me of me when I first started out, where more complete ideas were attractive.

I see this being a main income. It has that potential. I do have fun with it. I love playing bass but when I go live, it’s a lot of fun also. I see that as a way to promote but, inevitably that would develop an audience which I’m cool with.

I’m not looking to create a band but if the opportunity came up I’d explore it. I am looking to work with people regularly...as they buy the loops and develop as musicians/producers, they’ll naturally begin to want more individual bass lines so they’ll book me for that due to the relationship we have created and they kinda ‘know’ me from the live videos on youtube. I’ll grow with them.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
My target market are people who like to sample music. They are the ones whole have the skills and patience to listen and edit something like what I’m offering. Also young or new music producers who need some ideas, want an authentic sounding bass sample, and who are finding themselves still. The need for a real bass sound it real (for the above people too) and it reminds me of me when I first started out, where more complete ideas were attractive.

I see this being a main income. It has that potential. I do have fun with it. I love playing bass but when I go live, it’s a lot of fun also. I see that as a way to promote but, inevitably that would develop an audience which I’m cool with.

I’m not looking to create a band but if the opportunity came up I’d explore it. I am looking to work with people regularly...as they buy the loops and develop as musicians/producers, they’ll naturally begin to want more individual bass lines so they’ll book me for that due to the relationship we have created and they kinda ‘know’ me from the live videos on youtube. I’ll grow with them.
As a heavy sampler myself i would say bass is the last thing i would look to sample as its generally a single note instrument, alot of samplers sample cause we arent the best musicians so the complex chords and playing are what we are looking for, but that may just be me.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
As a heavy sampler myself i would say bass is the last thing i would look to sample as its generally a single note instrument, alot of samplers sample cause we arent the best musicians so the complex chords and playing are what we are looking for, but that may just be me.
Would you say that most samplers know what chord progressions and key signatures are?

I had to include that info but if someone doesn’t know what I’m talking about it’s off putting right away. I did think about creating a free video that came with every purchase or free download where I explained what chord progressions and a key signatures are, to help bridge that gap if it existed...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I'm wondering if it's because in sampling, a lot of people are happy to play some shitty bass in the accompany the samples.

And doing that is probably a lot more straight forward than finding samples or playing music to fit the bass.

Personally if there was a good bass hook I'd jump all over that. Used to love making them, maybe I should get back to that.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
I'm wondering if it's because in sampling, a lot of people are happy to play some shitty bass in the accompany the samples.

And doing that is probably a lot more straight forward than finding samples or playing music to fit the bass.

Personally if there was a good bass hook I'd jump all over that. Used to love making them, maybe I should get back to that.
Well maybe if Dre ever releases a new album you will find inspiration, but youre probably better than him anyway and he copied your style

Would you say that most samplers know what chord progressions and key signatures are?

I had to include that info but if someone doesn’t know what I’m talking about it’s off putting right away. I did think about creating a free video that came with every purchase or free download where I explained what chord progressions and a key signatures are, to help bridge that gap if it existed...
I would say that information is actually good to have, i did notice everything seems to be played in major more variety and some jazzy stuff would probably be better selling, its not likely to be chopped up and rearranged
Using youtube to draw people to the site would be good, maybe a video making a beat with the products instead of the playing

unaufadox

ILLIEN
I’m here to (save the day!) change that if they know the key, and even if they want to play it relatively safe, the info I give can spice things up massively. As long as they high pass the sample to some degree - or not! Miguel’s Adorn has lots going on man.

So maybe the audience is less about the youngsters who want the quick fix hit/beat. It’ll take some focus to match and chop the bass with their sample(s). I really dislike the idea that attention is short these days though. Anything you get good at requires lots of attention. A short attention span is a recipe for disaster

This is my thinking! Bass is such a huge part of the equation. Motown thrived on great bass lines. With the variations in my lines, a track could be so dynamic and interesting, with fills and the feeling like it’s beyond a simpler loop...like someone played this.

I’m so biased but, honestly, I thought it was a great idea.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
i did notice everything seems to be played in major more variety and some jazzy stuff would probably be better selling
I hear you on the jazzy stuff. I can add more styles like jazz and funk and make them more obviously that. A funk course has just been released on the site I learn from which looks and sounds pretty awesome. Wouldn't mind getting that under my fingers.

My understanding of major and minor is that all key signatures are written in major. It's not that all songs are in major...for example, in episode 84, I create a groove in A Major, but the first chord progression is 6433. I don't want to get too heady with theory but, the starting chord and ending chords are minor so it has that minor moody vibe to it. I could say it is in F# minor being that it is using the same notes and that it starts and ends using minor chords.

Since you asked this I have been watching a course on minor tonality just to make sure I am clear on this. It's great that you questioned it.

its not likely to be chopped up and rearranged
What makes you say that? That would be a damn shame :D

Using youtube to draw people to the site would be good, maybe a video making a beat with the products instead of the playing
This is a good idea !

Ys Man

ILLIEN
I hear you on the jazzy stuff. I can add more styles like jazz and funk and make them more obviously that. A funk course has just been released on the site I learn from which looks and sounds pretty awesome. Wouldn't mind getting that under my fingers.
Would be good and drop names of styles and artists that would use them in the description along with the other info
My understanding of major and minor is that all key signatures are written in major. It's not that all songs are in major...for example, in episode 84, I create a groove in A Major, but the first chord progression is 6433. I don't want to get too heady with theory but, the starting chord and ending chords are minor so it has that minor moody vibe to it. I could say it is in F# minor being that it is using the same notes and that it starts and ends using minor chords.
Theory kind of baffles me and after i said it i actually went to see if what i said was dumb, i think there is minor keys but they are also major? like you say
What makes you say that? That would be a damn shame :D
Just the lack of theory with samplers, and the fact that it is rare to find someone that chops single notes generally not saying it wont happen just not expected, people will want the phrase ready to go.

Maybe try finding the inspiration to enter a Battle or get some likes on your beats.

Or maybe just find the inspiration to pull your tongue out of my ass.
Haha touche, but likes arent your thing either, i may enter a battle but its not what im here for really. Just stop hating everywhere you aint all that, try to enjoy music again

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Would be good and drop names of styles and artists that would use them in the description along with the other info
Ah I now see what people have been doing. Rick Ross kinda beat J Cole kinda beat etc blah blah. More buzz around J Cole than...an unknown producer like...Beast Monster on the Trackzz.

Theory kind of baffles me and after i said it i actually went to see if what i said was dumb, i think there is minor keys but they are also major? like you say
I am working on it too bro. It is such a massive topic full of rules and ways to break them. I am watching a video on my academy, and it's not straight forward. The numbers I have used don't work if I say it's a minor, even if it sounds minor. I remember watching this video in the past like man....I am staying away from minor (in the way that they are speaking about it) hence the strictly major names, even though the emotion leans towards minor.
Just the lack of theory with samplers, and the fact that it is rare to find someone that chops single notes generally not saying it wont happen just not expected, people will want the phrase ready to go.
That's interesting man...fuck. They have to know what key they are in or they cannot use the bass...unless they use their ears. I may have to do that free video about keys signatures and chord progressions just so people can even access my stuff. I'll have to mention it in every live. I'll have to lean on it in the beat/loop creation video too.
Haha touche, but likes arent your thing either, i may enter a battle but its not what im here for really. Just stop hating everywhere you aint all that, try to enjoy music again

Diana Prince Popcorn GIF

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Ah I now see what people have been doing. Rick Ross kinda beat J Cole kinda beat etc blah blah. More buzz around J Cole than...an unknown producer like...Beast Monster on the Trackzz.
Yeah its click bait but it works
I am working on it too bro. It is such a massive topic full of rules and ways to break them. I am watching a video on my academy, and it's not straight forward. The numbers I have used don't work if I say it's a minor, even if it sounds minor. I remember watching this video in the past like man....I am staying away from minor (in the way that they are speaking about it) hence the strictly major names, even though the emotion leans towards minor.
yeah you think you got it then someone says something to totally contradict what you thought you got lol, a guy called jacob collier is good with what he does to explain things and breaking rules, rules that never existed in the first place.
That's interesting man...fuck. They have to know what key they are in or they cannot use the bass...unless they use their ears. I may have to do that free video about keys signatures and chord progressions just so people can even access my stuff. I'll have to mention it in every live. I'll have to lean on it in the beat/loop creation video too.
I doubt alot know what key they are in but nowdays the software will tell you, ears is how samplers work, but it also brings in the fact that if they are chopping it then they can also pitch shift it, so it becomes harder to see where your sample fits in unless you already have some sick ready to go licks, its a tough one with bass.

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.

I did not once hate.
I actually supported most of the advice you gave, I just spoke separately about the downfalls of "eq charts" and you somehow took it personally like I cockslapped your mom.

It wasn't anything directed at you, just useful advice.

Then you started following me around threads like some obsession

Ys Man

ILLIEN
I did not once hate.
I actually supported most of the advice you gave, I just spoke separately about the downfalls of "eq charts" and you somehow took it personally like I cockslapped your mom.

It wasn't anything directed at you, just useful advice.

Then you started following me around threads like some obsession
It aint about your replies to my posts man your reply above is hating and you go around like your shit dont stink, be humble, not seen one positive post from you, and your response here says it all im not following you around just cant fucking avoid your bullshit

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.

Well maybe if Dre ever releases a new album you will find inspiration, but youre probably better than him anyway and he copied your style
It aint about your replies to my posts man your reply above is hating and you go around like your shit dont stink, be humble, not seen one positive post from you, and your response here says it all im not following you around just cant fucking avoid your bullshit

Tell me where your random dumb response talking about Dr Dre had anything to do with my comment helping unaufadox with his dilemma?

You also jumped on one of my threads talking about mixing/volume, making some off key comment

And I'm sure somewhere else.

For whatever reason, you can't get me out of your head.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Tell me where your random dumb response talking about Dr Dre had anything to do with my comment helping unaufadox with his dilemma?
You see it wasnt helpful at all like most of your posts that ive seen so far
You also jumped on one of my threads talking about mixing/volume, making some off key comment
That was the most arrogant dumb shit ive ever seen what point did you even make? except stroking your own ego?
For whatever reason, you can't get me out of your head.
You would like to think that but it aint true