Ascap lisence and copywriting

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
something needs to be stressed here.

to actually get publishing royalties based on 'plays' (radio/tv/etc) from your p.r.o./p.r.s. from a licensed beat/song/track, if you meet the requirements, you must register all the people involved and the splits. i.e. you register your raw beat prior to it ever getting licensed, you get the full shares (provided it wasn't sampled), a month later you license it, it's now a new song so a couple things must be done.

deciding on split and contracts is a given, but now you and the other party must register this new song at the copyright office along with the details. you also must now register this new song at your respective p.r.o./p.r.s. with the details including the other party (they have to do the same), then depending on the % split, you detail how much shares you're entitled too...i.e. in a 50/50 split, you get 50% (this is dependent on how your p.r.o./p.r.s. defines this. if you get a 100% of your 50% they may have it listed as 100% but make you list the other parties and their share. this is something that needs to be asked and clarified so you don't get effed over or eff someone else over). you may benefit from amending the original beat with an extra name (whatever the new song is called) for situations when only the instrumental is played (i don't know the full details on this and it's also contract specific and should be agreed upon by both parties prior to signing anything)

all that being said, most will never see much, if anything, even with radio play due to how their monitored by ascap/bmi/sesac/socan/etc.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
^^
I think right now you need to just focus on what you want. Do you want to make music? or do you want to make money? You can sell the beat and be done with it. OR you can get into the business aspect which will go over publishing and licensing.

If you are into the money more then anything I suggest you take a music business class if available or get some books on it.

misch

ill o.g.
this is a great thread, very informative! should you be worried about copywriting your beats before allowing a track to be on a compilation? thanks.