anyone here ever mad etheir own drum sounds? drum synthesis type ish?

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
anyone here ever made their own drum sounds? drum synthesis type ish?

if so... how's you go about doing it and did you get decent results?

holla

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
N.U.G. said:
if so... how's you go about doing it and did you get decent results?

holla

Yes i always Create my own drums either recording them lively then Tweaking them or Making them from household everyday sounds and tweaking

More than Decent Results get on aim i can show ya some stuff

< Sound Designer

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yeah I do too... I haven't done it in a while but I used to love to just fuck with shit in front of the mic and turn it out... I used to do everything from tapping a book to rubbing my hands together to having a group of people snap, clap.... I like the outcome u get, very original sounding and yet you can still layer them with other sounds and get a good outcome... I actually shot some over to fade and there in the Illmuzik store... There on the second page of the drumkits section...

J-UK

Um........
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Yeah i've synthesized my own drums before, it's not that hard to do but it is hard to get good results from it. If your looking to make a good 909 or 808 sounding kit then using synthesis is a good way to go about doing it.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Word, Im using these for synth drums

Virus B, it has any waveform to create drums plus a trillion options to edit and/or route... I mean, it has 32 knobs already, not counting the buttons. Has 6 outs too! I hook this up to either an MPC or Logic, sample it and drop it into FL.

Novation Drumstation, almost exact copy of 808/909 but with asm modeling, designed by Novation, owned by...roland ( I always wondered why they never re-issued or updated the 808,909 or 303 untill I knew this ) . It sounds very good, this is a common tool in our studio for just about everything and beats any samplekit, cuz they shit compared to a simpel drumstation and you have all the hands on fun to design or kits together. The distortion on it is crap in it works in 12 stages which you hear very well when switching between them 12, it doesnt sound impressing either. On club tracks I route out seperate drums over a max of 6 channels and give them each their own comp on kick, snare, hat o/c, rides and percussion. This makes it clean with a lot of room for sonic booms and miami like audible pressure. Then I start tweaking out the kit in harmonie with the rest of the track, stuff like setting drumhits in pitch with the rest of the track's instruments and setting the releases of the vca's on all the used drums. Another way I beef the shit up is to simply route all the drum via stereo out (chnls 1/2), hooked to a stereo-linked dbx 166xl with a full gate/limiter on it. I control levels by midi to level out the gain which becomes heavily influenced when the treshold is starting to go nuts and rides become sucked up by the 808's boom and ear sharp snapy snares aimed at your head. Shit there's millions of tricks with this set, using side chains etc its up to you whats gonna happen.

TR606, just charming little toy, which sounds amazing with nice compression on it. I leave it original for now, but you can do a lot of cool modifications on it. It's is closely related the 808/909, you can mod a kick to an 808 sub and the tom to a 909 kick for example.

Linplug RMIV, this is simply the best vst drumsynth I've come across, im talking sonic richness and clarity. You can hook this up mpc as it has 18 assignable drumpads, each drumpad can be set for either a selection of drumhits, all in there including claps. The selection sounds a bit biased around the 808/909, it's not worse or better, just different but suits the same genres that use the 808/909. You can also just load wav files into it and then use it's filters and envelopes. Might seem unneccesary, but the engine of the program pumps out a nice pristine sound and has an ass whoopin compressor,variation & spectrum parameters, distortion, bitcrusher per pad either sample or synth. Each pad is assignable to notes, which can be hooked up with the mpc (as slave or master)'s pads. Each pad kan be assigned to enough outputs and has vairous cutting options.

I use some analog monophonic synths like the Kawai F100 and a Moog Prodigy to create synth drums. There's no difference between a drumsynth and a monosynth, in fact, each drum on a 808 is a synth, but has one note option only and is monophonic. What is important is that the vca envelope in the synth is fast. A HP filter is also usefull to create hat's and a noise generator to gove hiss for hats and body for snares. The kick is a trick with a good envelope and proper filtering.