Any Thor Wizards out there want to make $20? Help me solve this impossible problem!

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo....

So I'm pretty damn competent when it comes to Thor... I have enough experience with analog gear to have a fundamental understanding of CV and the various functions of Thor's routing matrix... Anyone who doubts this can feel free to check out my YouTube channel (SirSedricMusic)... but that's not important...

What's important is what I'm trying to accomplish... I don't even know if it's possible yet...

So, first I set out to create a way to program a ReDrum pattern that would be chained via CV Gate Outs to several NN-XTs with large sample banks of individual hits... for example, Channel 1 in ReDrum would be hooked up to an "All Kicks" NN-XT set to alternate all the samples on one key.

That was fairly easy, but required some coaxing from Redrum and a Thor to accomplish. I had to put Channel 1 Gate CV Out to Thor CV 1 In, then route CV 1 In to CV 1 Out scaled by the Sequencer Note in Thor... the percentage of the scaling would determine the exact note being sent and would only work properly if a sample was loaded in that ReDrum channel and the Gate mode was set to position 0 (the same setting for toggling release parameters when working in Redrum alone)...

Then I could take that CV 1 Out from Thor and put it through a CV splitter into NN-XT's Gate and CV Ins. Then, by turning the Attack all the way down and the Release all the way up on the NN-XT, I could play back my kick drum pattern from ReDrum on an NN-XT full of randomly alternating samples...

Still with me?

So now, after programming each channel and making it's own little Redrum Gate Out-->Thor CV In-->Thor CV Out scaled by Seq. Note-->Spider CV-->NN-XT setup I realized that the different velocities in ReDrum were not being played. I could play Medium no problem, but Soft and Hard were just not coming through...

I've tried endless options for scaling in Thor's matrix... I've tried setting it to send Sequencer Velocity to the same CV as the Gate... that just disrupts the flow of proper CV... I've tried programming the pattern on a different ReDrum with a higher/lower volume... but that is way complicated, not user-friendly and defeats the purpose of easy, front-end ReDrum pattern sequencing with round robin NN-XT "modules" being triggered by the pattern. I want other people to be able to use this in an intuitive manner...

Any suggestions?

How the fuck do I get the different velocities to play through as well?

I will seriously PayPal anyone who comes up with a solution $20 and a free copy of both of my upcoming, for-sale ReFills.... seriously....

In the end, all I want is to program a ReDrum pattern (not a Matrix, because only 1 note per step per Matrix can be sent and I just want to program 1 pattern) and have that pattern play through on my NN-XTs which are set to alternate between multiple samples. It would be extraordinarily useful in testing out large libraries and exploring various drum sample packs very quickly for usable sounds... plus, it's just fuckin fun to do this stuff...

Seriously though, $20 + 2 ReFills for anyone who has a real solution.... Unsolved Mysteries style, only will pay if it leads to a conviction...

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I would like to see a screen shot if possible of what you have so far.

So the current signal path in this setup is Redrum CV Gate Outs-->Thor CV 1 In-->Thor routing matrix-->Thor CV 1 Out scaled by Sequencer Note-->Spider CV splitters-->NN-XTs-->Mixer-->Combi Out

In order from left to right, the screenshots are showing;

1) Redrum to Thor CV routing

2) Thor to Spider CV splitter routings

3) Spider to NN-XT routings and NN-XT outs

4) Settings in Thor's routing Matrix

5) NN-XT setup to enable "round robin" triggered by key C 1

If you have any questions on why I did it the way I did it so far... please feel free to ask, there's probably a reason which you may or may not discover while trying to do this. : )

There have been several versions of this project spanning multiple weeks... I've tried a lot of different things, none with the results I'd like...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.18.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.18.26 PM.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.18.51 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.18.51 PM.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.19.03 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.19.03 PM.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.21.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.21.30 PM.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.21.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-24 at 9.21.49 PM.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 158

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
this might find stupid but have you checked the velocity knobs on the NNXTs and Redrum channels are not in the middle.... if you can only play one velocity per se, it is generally because those knobs are stright down the middle....

members online