Akon: fabricated life story (from The Smoking Gun)

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Akon - lies/fabricates life story (from "The Smoking Gun")

The full story and evidence located here:
The Smoking Gun
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0416081akon1.html

Here's part of what they have posted on the site -- enjoy!

Akon's Con Job
The platinum-selling R&B artist has fabricated a past as ringleader of a "notorious" car theft ring who spent 4 1/2 years in jail.

APRIL 16--In the hip-hop world, a performer's street cred can often be gauged by the number of entries on their rap sheet, the time they have spent behind bars, or the gritty details of their illicit escapades.

By any of those metrics, the chart-topping R&B singer Akon appears to have compiled an exemplary outlaw resume, one brimming with scrapes from a hard knock life.

As recounted in scores of interviews since his first album, the platinum-selling "Trouble," debuted in 2004, Akon was incarcerated for a total of four-and-a-half years, including a long stretch for his role as the "ringleader of a notorious car theft operation." Akon's gang specialized in boosting Porsches, Lamborghinis, and Mercedeses, he owned four chop shops catering to "celebrities and drug dealers," and he frequently escaped from cops in high-speed pursuits. His criminal empire collapsed, though, after underlings--who "felt like they deserved more than they were getting"--cut deals and ratted him out to law enforcement. As a result of that betrayal, Akon spent the next three years in a Georgia prison. While inside, the 150-pound inmate "fought almost every day for two years," in the process becoming a "champion" who prevailed over both big and small inmates because, "I knew where to hit you to knock you out, so I didn't fear you."

When not brutally schooling fellow convicts, Akon was writing songs, including "Locked Up," his autobiographical account of prison desolation, from dwindling commissary accounts to friends and family that no longer visited or accepted collect calls. The song, he recalled, "was like an anthem in there" and corrections officers would often ask him to sing its chorus ("I'm locked up/They won't let me out"). After his release in 2002, Akon recorded "Locked Up," adding to the song what would become his audio trademark: the clanging sound of a cell door closing. The single later became a hit, but did little to erase the memories of his time on lockdown, which "felt like 300 years, not three."

Compared to most of hip-hop's leading figures past and present--50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Diddy, Tupac Shakur, Jay-Z, Notorious B.I.G.--Akon, 35, seems to have logged more time behind bars and, consequently, gained a better understanding of the average convict's plight (both in and out of custody) than any of his musical peers. The New York Times has referred to him as the "prison-obsessed R&B singer" who "wants it known that crooners can evoke prison life just as effectively as rappers." In fact, the singer not only named his company Konvict Music, but he settled on "Konvicted" for the title of his second album, which sold nearly three million copies last year.

As it turns out, however, "Kontrived" might have been a more accurate choice.

Akon's ad nauseum claims about his criminal career and resulting prison time have been, to an overwhelming extent, exaggerated, embellished, or wholly fabricated, an investigation by The Smoking Gun has revealed. Police, court, and corrections records reveal that the entertainer has created a fictionalized backstory that serves as the narrative anchor for his recorded tales of isolation, violence, woe, and regret. Akon has overdubbed his biography with the kind of grit and menace that he apparently believes music consumers desire from their hip-hop stars.

While the performer's rap sheet does include a half-dozen arrests, Akon has only been convicted of one felony, for gun possession. That 1998 New Jersey case ended with a guilty plea, for which the singer was sentenced to three years probation. Another 1998 bust, this one in suburban Atlanta, has been seized upon by Akon and transformed into the big case that purportedly sent him to prison (thanks to his snitching cohorts) for three fight-filled years. In reality, Akon was arrested for possession of a single stolen BMW and held in the DeKalb County jail for several months before prosecutors dropped all charges against him.

So there was no conviction. There was no prison term between 1999 and 2002. And he was never "facing 75 years," as the singer claimed in one videotaped interview.

Akon's invented tales appear to be part of a cynical marketing plan, but one that has met with remarkable success. Few press interviews conclude without Akon being asked about his criminal exploits and his prison days. He obliges with canned and well-rehearsed claims, false as they may be, and compares his supposed nationwide operation to those depicted in the movies "Gone in 60 Seconds" and "New Jersey Drive." And in interview after interview over the years, he always makes sure to point out the "notorious" nature of his theft ring (as if the adjective's inclusion makes him sound even more felonious). Akon repeats the phrase "notorious car theft operation" so frequently it seems like he is reading it from a sheet of talking points.

[A compilation of video clips in which Akon touts his purported criminal past may be viewed above.]

Akon's manager, Robert Carnes, declined to discuss any aspect of the criminal history of the R&B singer, who is currently touring in Africa. Carnes directed a reporter to Sharonda Smalls, Akon's publicist at Universal Motown Records. After being apprised of the nature of TSG's story, Smalls said she would seek replies to our questions, but had not called back at press time. Darrick "Devyne" Stephens, Akon's longtime collaborator and business partner, did not return several messages left at his Atlanta office.

Akon's deceptions have gone unchallenged and unexamined by the music press, which has been happy to promote him as one of the beleaguered recording industry's few bright lights. He was named "Top Artist of 2007" by Billboard and dubbed "The Last Hit-Maker" in an April 2007 Vibe cover story. His two albums combined have sold about 10 million copies worldwide, while ring tone sales have exceeded 6.5 million downloads. He has also collaborated on songs with a wide array of musical superstars, including Gwen Stefani, Eminem, Michael Jackson, and Whitney Houston.

With the single exception of a Washington Post reporter who wrote last March that some of the "bullet points in Akon's biography" sounded "like the stuff of creation myth," entertainment journalists have played right into the manipulation. In a February 2007 story in Creative Loafing, Atlanta's weekly newspaper, readers were assured that "Akon doesn't need to embellish, since he's already lived an unusual and turbulent life." And an August 2007 Interview magazine story was headlined, "Akon: In a hip-hop world where everyone's always straining for street cred, here's one guy who has it."

For his part, the performer appears so confident that nobody will challenge his fables that he has recently embellished them even further. In an interview for a February 2008 episode of VH1's "Rags to Riches," the R&B performer claimed that he actually was a carjacker who "used to literally snatch cars from people. And they would be traumatized for months." He claimed to be ashamed of this behavior (which he never previously mentioned) and remarked that he could not believe he once "had the heart to do that stuff." A VH1 graphic duly noted that this wanton activity "landed him three years in prison for carjacking."

This m.o., of course, might seem familiar to readers of these pages. An artist inflates his criminal history to create an image of himself as a public menace who tangles with law enforcement and pays for his transgressions with a stiff prison sentence. He cleaves to these bogus biographical details in public appearances and media interviews and carefully weaves them into the art he peddles to the public. Because without the embellishments and fabrications, without the havoc and heartache, what separates him from every other wannabe clawing for commercial success? Why chance having your work judged solely on its merits when a little artistic license can make you so much more distinctive and marketable?

Akon, as it turns out, is James Frey with catchy hooks and an American Music Award.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
HAHAHAHAHA!!! WOW ! what happens next will be funny to watch!

I remember when Me and Sanova got out of the joint after servin 50 years for murderin all those kids at that rodeo!

Thats where we would get em see? At the rodeo..I dont know why rodeos..Sanova just likes em see? So we go and light em up with our 50 cal machine guns we had mounted on our ford probes right...

We were lucky we only did 50 years...And we RAN the WHOLE system while we were in there..

What do you mean traffic ticket for not having a baby secured correctly?? We kill you for saying that!

Great Read

T

Th3_SnOwMan

I wonder what Akon is going to have to say to this.

The industry is fuckin crazy. After reading all the shit yall post here in the industry forums, my eyes have been opened to the crazy and sometimes stupid shit that happens man.

I want to hear what Akon has to say to this...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Fukin fake as Hatian

lol..u better hope like hell Solace don't read that. He'll be in your ass like cellulite!

Akon produces hits! People should have known once he went the way of Pop music that he was faking his life. Hardcore hoodlums don't fuck with anything Pop, they stay immersed in the hood even when they get money and really have no business there anymore....which is also a prime example of keeping it "fake" as opposed to real.

If you're truly from the hood you know that once you reach a certain financial status you got to get up outta there or you life expectancy will be cut in half. The have nots will be at you 24/7! The hood only loves you when you're as broke as the majority. Start coming up and you're no longer one of them. It's the "crabs in the barrel" syndrome.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
these cats are just ignorant children crushing their own futures. that 'gangsta" mentality keeps them confined within other dumbass circle of wanna-be-criminals, sluts/bitches, 30y yr'old kids -> 40 yr'old alcolholics, and the list goes on. No woman I would date would ever touch any of these rap-ass material-icedout storytelling muthauckaz... i'd laugh at them but i just dont care enough to

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Lesson:

1. Marketing is key. Akon and "Devyne" knew this.
2. They understood the "target" consumer.
3. They catered to the target consumer.

I've been posting about stuff like this since I first joined this forum. Things are calculated for a reason. PR is created for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. No such thing as coincidence when millions of dollars are on the line.

More power to Akon -- I think his music stands alone as good pop. But, would he have gotten a head up with a dumb A&R head who was also considering signing other artists -- but Akon's "gangsta" appeal was the kicker? Who knows.

Learn from this -- learn how to market yourselves.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Lesson:

1. Marketing is key. Akon and "Devyne" knew this.
2. They understood the "target" consumer.
3. They catered to the target consumer.

I've been posting about stuff like this since I first joined this forum. Things are calculated for a reason. PR is created for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. No such thing as coincidence when millions of dollars are on the line.

More power to Akon -- I think his music stands alone as good pop. But, would he have gotten a head up with a dumb A&R head who was also considering signing other artists -- but Akon's "gangsta" appeal was the kicker? Who knows.

Learn from this -- learn how to market yourselves.

hey but god, isnt the resulting fallout from this going to be similar to the Milli Vanilli fiasco?
I mean I get the concept of marketing and all but if your caught in not just embelishing the facts but an outright lie about your entire image(not to say most of them arent lies) isnt the fallout from that going to be pretty bad? (although controversey is good , Im not sure Id want this if I were Akon)

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Relic...I don't think so. It's actually not similar at all imo. Akon really does have that crazy ass voice and he really can produce hitz. Though his suppose it life and up bringing was "fake" his artist and production skills are not! I really don't think the labels or artist that want to work with him because of his "hit making" potential will hold it against him. Remember, the people behind the scenes/labels are the ones that create this shit so they know how it goes. He's a hit maker now so nobody on the "inside" will give it a second thought. Not to mention he's under contract and I'm sure his life story being real or fake is not in the small print!

Hardcore rap "black" music fans may be like "fuck u Akon" but at the end of the day where's is the bulk of his money coming from? NOT THEM!

I know you need a marketing plan/scheme like G said but I just don't think I can do something as extreme as portray a fake negative image which can possibly result in getting me merk'd for the sake of stardom. I've lived the street life to a certain extent (drugs, sex, bling and the violence that goes with it) but I'm at a point in my life where I'm far from that now. There is no way for the sake money will I falsely portray that image now. We talk about it in our songs but it's from a whole other angle. Though we rap about it we're not glorifying it because to be honest....that shit took a decade of peace out of my life and sometimes it shows! Not knowing if it's the jump out boyz, them ski mask boyz or just someone who wants your clientèle and willing to merk you for it, kept me on edge 24/7. There's no way I would relive that image for fame!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
No doubt the guy makes hits, and I believe that he owns his own label now yes? So hes good on that end, but I just wonder if the public backlash will have an effect.
Certainly his street cred is shot.
Ive done dumb shit too, to the point that I dont care if it never gets brought up, Im not even trying to make it on that shit, its best forgotten. lol
REAL bad boys move in silence!
I GOT to hear what Akons response is though!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
hey but god, isnt the resulting fallout from this going to be similar to the Milli Vanilli fiasco?
I mean I get the concept of marketing and all but if your caught in not just embelishing the facts but an outright lie about your entire image(not to say most of them arent lies) isnt the fallout from that going to be pretty bad? (although controversey is good , Im not sure Id want this if I were Akon)

When I say "learn how to market yourselves" I immediately get hit up with "well-- are you saying fabricating your life story? Embellishing truths?"

Reality check-- the shit about Akon you are now being "exposed" to happens all the time in the music biz. Some of the rappers that are so near and dear to your heart are studio gangsters. Or in rock -- the "drug addled struggling artist" is often fabricated to get sympathy from their buying demographic. I mean-- I posted cynical, cold, ruthless stuff on this site before, on how the industry operates-- this deal with Akon is just an example of cynical marketing. It happens, it's calculated, and who gets duped -- the buying public. It happens in every cycle. The thing is - you don't know you're being duped bc the labels usually shut the fuck up about it, especially when it's one of their cash cows.

There are PR strategies developed, focus groups created -- marketing a pop act becomes a social science. I posted that a couple years ago, I think it's in this section somewhere.

I'm not saying you guys should DO this -- by no means -- since you do what you want to do. The thing is be AWARE that this shit happens ALL the time. Know this happens, and it's a fact of life in this industry you want to be a part of (if you don't, more power to you.)

Relic...I don't think so. It's actually not similar at all imo. Akon really does have that crazy ass voice and he really can produce hitz. Though his suppose it life and up bringing was "fake" his artist and production skills are not! I really don't think the labels or artist that want to work with him because of his "hit making" potential will hold it against him. Remember, the people behind the scenes/labels are the ones that create this shit so they know how it goes. He's a hit maker now so nobody on the "inside" will give it a second thought. Not to mention he's under contract and I'm sure his life story being real or fake is not in the small print!

Hardcore rap "black" music fans may be like "fuck u Akon" but at the end of the day where's is the bulk of his money coming from? NOT THEM!

I know you need a marketing plan/scheme like G said but I just don't think I can do something as extreme as portray a fake negative image which can possibly result in getting me merk'd for the sake of stardom. I've lived the street life to a certain extent (drugs, sex, bling and the violence that goes with it) but I'm at a point in my life where I'm far from that now. There is no way for the sake money will I falsely portray that image now. We talk about it in our songs but it's from a whole other angle. Though we rap about it we're not glorifying it because to be honest....that shit took a decade of peace out of my life and sometimes it shows! Not knowing if it's the jump out boyz, them ski mask boyz or just someone who wants your clientèle and willing to merk you for it, kept me on edge 24/7. There's no way I would relive that image for fame!

Agree, but I think there are a couple things to extrapolate on:

1. "Devyne" had the connections in the biz. He saw Akon had potential. I view it as a basic "deal with the devil" routine. Akon probably agreed to let his life story become a fabricated PR stunt-- why? Because if that is what it took to make it, and any life he was going to live as a pop star, no matter how embellished, was better than being the nobody that he was, he would agree with this "deal with the devil". He made that deal, became a millionaire off of it -- but now he has to deal with this bad PR.

Let me put it in simpler terms. Someone says: "Here's $30 million, you keep it, no matter what happens, you will never have to work again. But you have to pretend to be something you're not, and if someone finds out -- you're fake career is over." Some of you may not take it-- but Akon did. His call, his problem. He keeps the money though. He can chill in a 100ft. yacht off the Florida Keys with hired B-list model "party girls" sipping Dom Perignon, calling on his satellite phone for a helicopter to pick him up to take him partying on South Beach -- I can't.

2. Akon makes hits because he has a strong ghostwriting crew. That's where his strength comes from. The question is-- will his ghostwriters stick behind him to keep creating the "hits" or will other savvy producers now go in for the "kill" and lock these ghostwriters into lucrative contracts -- or the ghostwriters may come up themselves. I don't believe at all that Akon is prolific enough to "write" all his songs. He has an awesome writing pool. That's his Achilles heel. I wouldn't be surprised to see if his production unit flounders, unless he pays them more to keep them.

3. It's my opinion that Akon will be savvy enough to NOT reply in a conventional interview to these allegations. If I was his PR guy, I would have Akon respond to controversy (again) with a song (like "Blame it on Me"). The song would probably be about struggle and trying to make it, probably blaming the "class system" for keeping people down. He'll probably fess up, because extrapolating on bad PR only makes the messaging worse, and ask for forgiveness from his fans -- he "didn't want to do this, he's made bad things in life, etc." and that song will probably be a #1 hit.

White girls across America will love it and keep buying his records. He will get paid.

No doubt the guy makes hits, and I believe that he owns his own label now yes? So hes good on that end, but I just wonder if the public backlash will have an effect.
Certainly his street cred is shot.
Ive done dumb shit too, to the point that I dont care if it never gets brought up, Im not even trying to make it on that shit, its best forgotten. lol
REAL bad boys move in silence!
I GOT to hear what Akons response is though!

Akon's "street cred" was shot when he yodeled in a Gwen Stefani video.

Conclusion:

I think someone is really pissed off at Akon. I don't know if these are enemies in the business who know he's full of shit, or enemies elsewhere. Remember -- he had that horrendous incident where he pissed off the foreign minister of some Caribbean republic -- maybe somebody hired a P.I. or something and is out to screw with Akon's career. I could be stretching it -- but I think Akon pissed off the wrong enemy here.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I agree...he ruffled the wrong Mf's feathers and now he must pay the price. Nothing last forever so if I were him I'd finish up the projects that I have going and slowly fade to black. If he's made the money and invested it wisely he'll be good. He could still roll in the same circle, just not as a "super producer". The average "gold digging" whore doesn't care either way. It's all about the MONEYYYYYY!!!!!

members online