Academy Of Dark Arts [The Prodigy Style EP]

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Hey All,

Here's an a collection of tunes I had planned to release as an an EP. Due to computer crashes, lost project files, and a variety of other reasons, I couldn't get the stems together for mixing/mastering.

Heavily influenced by new-rave, big beat, and more specifically The Prodigy.

It's been on my Soundcloud for a while. Figured, I'd post it here and see what the feedback is.

First Year Alchemy. I dont really get Prodigy vibes until the switch up right at the end, the four to the floor beat doesnt really suit the big beat breaks style of Prodigy.
Euclids Revenge is much more like it, Liam is a fucking beast when it comes to arranging breakbeats.

Ghost In The Machine. Yes, this is the vibe, closest to Prodigy so far. When I think Prodigy I think very aggressive drums and aggressive basses and synths.

Fear the Living. No Prodigy vibes here but I think it stands on its own merit, dope beat. Make it a bit longer man.
Ahhh, extended mix, you did make it longer. Prefer this one. Same applies to the first track, a little short IMO.

Fear The Dead. Once again not so much Prodigy vibes, but again I think it stands on its own merit.

Overall I think the beats are a bit short for the genre, from a Dj's perspective, by the time I would have beat mixed these in the tune would be finished.

Heres a DnB remix I did of one of their newer tracks....

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Thanks for the feedback @2GooD Productions

To clarify, by Prodigy influence I was referring mostly to the blend of breakbeats, guitars/rock, and synths. It's worth noting that I was listening to a lot of Justice at this time too.

These tracks all started as proofs of concept and a personal exploration away from the style of music I typically make. The idea was to flesh out the tunes, stretch out the arrangements, get them mixed/mastered - but as mentioned computer crashes and lost project files got in the way.

That DnB remix of yours is FIRE!!!!!!

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Sounds great to me man. Admittedly I don't know too much about this genre but it sounds very well produced and something that could be marketed.

My personal fav was ghost in the machine - loved the drums! Is this the genre you have most experience producing or was this something new for you?

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Thanks for the feedback @Dusty B

This is definitely not a genre I was accustomed to making. I've always been a big fan of this music, and in the past years gotten a bit deeper into enjoying purely as a listener. My typical style is chill-lofi, jazzy, bluesy, type hip hop...boom-bap even.

That being said, 90% of the time when I'm playing guitar, strictly for enjoyment, it's hard rock or metal. This was fun to make as I got to use denser, heavier, and faster elements in my music.

members online