9th Wonder and L.B.

L-LaMENT

Audio Artistic Slave
ill o.g.
The first time I heard of 9th Wonder was when Jay-Z shouted him out on a mixtape a couple of months before The Black Album was released.

When I heard about his group Little Brother (which received 5 mics in the source and other notable recognitions) I had to see what all the fuss was about. After hearing "The Listening" I fell in love with Little Brother and the Justus League. not only were they from Durahm, NC but they were the first southern act since Outkast to come out with an original sound. I HAD to get my hands on every single 9th Wonder production. (But I only was able to find Sleepers and The Listening) Though I did get to hear alot of hs tracks on the net. After about a year and a half of following 9th Wonder's production, I'm starting to wonder if he isn't wearing himself a lil to thin before his group's BIG debut album.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he is talented... But in my opinion, 9th's been everywhere and his beats arn't the most complex beats in the world... after hearing a good bit of his tracks from several albums his style tends to get a tad bit monotnous. After a while I started to notice that he uses the SAME snare for the majority of his beats...Not only that, I don't know if it's because Fruity Loops only takes samples in Wav. format or what but most of his tracks have this really airy, reverb happy feel to them. (the samples have this grocery store music type feel to it) The samples sound very distant from the rest of the beat. 9th hasn't really ventured very far from the traditional boom bap and one looped samples. I really hope that "The Minstral Show" is as uniqe of an album as L.B. claims it is, because they have sooo much potential. This new album could be a breakthrough for them and for the South sound in general, and I would hate to see them not get the praise they deserve.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I was listening to lil brother at least a year or so before Young Guru and J discovered them, they used to have a web site up, pics of 9th's setup complete with bakers mits at the turntables LOL for the hot ish, I thought the music was ok too, a lot of times there is more hype surrounding a cat when they make it to a known artists project with the status of J, but yes he is using a lot of the tru skool methods when he makes his joints, they sort of stay hip hop sample based even though they from N.C. there is still a lot of peeps down there especially on the college scene still doing music other than krunk or south beats, go back and listen to some old Jaydee or Pete Rock Joints to get some insight on what he is doing.....Kev Brown is also hot too, but if you listen to his beats, he is mimicking everything down to the bassline filtering etc like Pete or more closely resembling Jaydee's distinct sound...

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
9th has a lot of underground stuff where you have to goto hip hop site to get. Like he remixed Kaze's album 'spirit of '94: 9.0 edition', Jean Gray's next album, and Buckshot next album thats coming out next month 9th did all the tracks. He also has two tracks on Memphis bleeks album. I luv 'The Listening' as well, but the more I listen to his later beats and as my music grows myself I notice some of the flaws he has in his early work. Hes defintly gotten better since 'The Listening' in my opinion.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i guess time will tell is he can stay consistent, on another note has anyone picked up that chittline circuit 1.5 mixtape i got that the other day havent listened to it all yet but theres some dope tracks on there !

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
MarkN said:
i guess time will tell is he can stay consistent, on another note has anyone picked up that chittline circuit 1.5 mixtape i got that the other day havent listened to it all yet but theres some dope tracks on there !

The Chitlin Circut is dope i bought it the day it came put n Ive been rocking it eva since, A real hot joint on there is i think #5 cant remember the name but ill mind produced it, i think it got darrien brock on ther that shyt is hott, But on 9th, once u get past his common as snare (he do change it up though go copp the dream merchant mix tape that got fire too that dont have that same snare), ne way u gott check out his sample chapping and bass lines thats what maks his shyt bang, his drums can be questionable but thats his trademark i guess, Primo does it too he has a cetain drum sound that speaks for him, but 9th sampling is hot, ass for pooh phonte dem boyz is dope Sleepers is a tight album, he really impressed me on that n the jouint that Phonte did with Nicolay is real dope too, I hope Little Brother album does well i think the deserve too

L-LaMENT

Audio Artistic Slave
ill o.g.
I brought it this past weekend...Listening to that mixtape cd is what made me start this thread in the first place. I'm not saying it's wack...but I'm just worried that 9th wonder's beats are starting to get a little boring.

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
L-LaMENT said:
I brought it this past weekend...Listening to that mixtape cd is what made me start this thread in the first place. I'm not saying it's wack...but I'm just worried that 9th wonder's beats are starting to get a little boring.

yea i know w hat u saying they all kinda sound the same but like one dude said its the newer stuff thatrs better, the mixtape is alot of older material from the listining and some other stuff, i guess we jus gotta wait till the minstrel show come out, remeber that same shyt happed to swizz when he was everywhere for a minute, but he stuck in there now he back on ther scene hard, but on some other have u heard the other cat from the Justus league Krysis, he got soo fire too

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
^^^^^^^^
Nahh thats his style, i aint gonna lie ,9th is growing on me alot.(ive heard most of the chitlin circut) I really like the flow of his joints. I think his joints sound the simplar casue thats his style. Like somebody already mentioned he is a real throwback producer, true old school ideals. You wont hear to many change ups or fancy chnage ups or musicanship in his joints. Just old school samples chopped over snars and bass.....
If i had listeined to this 3 years ago before i started producing i would have turned it off. But since i have started sampling i have grown to appericate and dig this style. Its real mellow and chill
definaly smoking music.

Actually i would love to hear outkast or goodie mobb on one of his beats. thats 2 differnt schools of the southern hip hop. 9th is more of the east coast influced throwback and kast is modern southern. I think they would sound dope toghter

class....

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
classic said:
^^^^^^^^
Actually i would love to hear outkast or goodie mobb on one of his beats. thats 2 differnt schools of the southern hip hop. 9th is more of the east coast influced throwback and kast is modern southern. I think they would sound dope toghter
class....

Word up that would be real dope i can picture big boi n dre on that, yea u right hes a real throwback producer, Im kinda partial to his work though cuz when i dont touch the MPC, i rock on FL i been using since 2000, n thats how alot of my ish always sounded its that '94 spirit in his beats that i love,

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
trinidad said:
The Chitlin Circut is dope i bought it the day it came put n Ive been rocking it eva since, A real hot joint on there is i think #5 cant remember the name but ill mind produced it, i think it got darrien brock on ther that shyt is hott, But on 9th, once u get past his common as snare (he do change it up though go copp the dream merchant mix tape that got fire too that dont have that same snare), ne way u gott check out his sample chapping and bass lines thats what maks his shyt bang, his drums can be questionable but thats his trademark i guess, Primo does it too he has a cetain drum sound that speaks for him, but 9th sampling is hot, ass for pooh phonte dem boyz is dope Sleepers is a tight album, he really impressed me on that n the jouint that Phonte did with Nicolay is real dope too, I hope Little Brother album does well i think the deserve too

yea track 5 is nobody like me with d brock on there, real good track !

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
MarkN said:
yea track 5 is nobody like me with d brock on there, real good track !
good lookin on the name fam yea thats it that joint is hot i acctually met the producer of that track Illmind @ the last beat battle i was in dude only lives 10 mins away from me, small world huh, that beat was done on an asr dope track

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
I also bought Chittilin Circuit tha day it came out, dope fo' real. And Little Brother is a collective group...not 9th Wonder and Little Brother.

members online