3 month anniversary!!

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Hey guys it’s my 3 month anniversary since I made my first beat!!!!

I had 2 questions that are geared to the guys that have been doing this for awhile.

When did u start to develop your style?? I listen to my beats and it seems like im all over the place. Its cool that my shit sounds different but I still want to have a signature sound that people know. Am I pushing for to much to soon??

Second question, when did your learning curve kick in. Im getting a little restless. (especially when I hear all the talent on this site). I have so much in my head but I’m still learning how to get that out. BASICALLY when did what’s IN your head match what u actually make?

Any other feedback or newbie tips would be helpful

Thanks and much love to the illmuzik fam

Class….

P.s FYI Im workin with and MPC 2000Xl a keyboard and cubase

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Congrats!

As for me, damn we're going way back. I think I started developing my own style after about a year, but that's just me. I spent a lot of time just getting used to actually making music, and learning along the way. Then I started to develop my own style.

For the learning curve, I would say after a few months is when whatever was in my head was coming out.

It takes quite some time, and yes I can understand you being restless about it all, but my advice has always been to take your time and learn the basics. Before I started making beats, I was DJ'ing, and of course I wanted to enter competitions and all that, but I chose to learn all the basic fundamentals first, and just took my time and it eventually paid off. Then in no time I was coming up with my own routines, etc.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
just compare your last beat to your first one, and you should see how much u did grow within that short period. and in another three months you will be another giant step ahead of what u doin now.
dont forget that lots of "professional" beats would not sound the way they do without an expensive mastering process. so do not loose to much time on optimizing. arrange it as much as it needs and leave it.

you are developing your personal note right now, maybe you dont know it, but its the way you like to play with hats or the how you chop your samples, etc. there will always be a thin red line, pointing out it is you who made the beat. another thing i have learned is, get yourself a fat library of kicks, snares and hats and dont fuck to much with midi drums.
but maybe thats just an oppinion. dont stop it..... :)

peace

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
i think it was after one year that i started getting a style, movin away from the horror beats. i always compared my beats with the ones on radio and learnin from them, how drums were dun, da bass, da arrangement etc.. i did alot of listenin, even now. anywhere i go and hear music, i analyse alot, whether an OST in a film, or a rock song on an advert, im always listenin. u just gota be patient, am sure ull get to the level u want. and since u are a proficient piano player, actaully what kinda piano did u learn, classical?jazz?gospel?

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
yeah man you got plenty of time to learn if you only been doin your thing for 3 months. it'll take a lot longer than that to start beatmaking with a distinctive style.

personally, it's taken me about a year to realize what my take on hip hop production is and to notice the way i preferably make beats, as for being able to make what's in my head, about the same, a year.

blaqcyde

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
ive been in da beatmaking game for about a year and now it doesn't take me long at all to make a beat. i do the same thing afrique does and just listen to wut the pros got out there and just mentally break their beat down snare to snare, hi-hat to hi-hat etc..

so id say about a year in or even earlier u should have no problem gettin ideas down on track.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
hmmm i dont know how long it takes to develop ur style ... i guess i would cosign on evry body else and say about a year ..classic ur beats r sikk for 3 months... beatmaking although it is a skill and you have to work very hard at it... there is defintely a natural ability involved as well.. some people just have it.... as for watching the pros tbhats excelent advice ... every pro has stuff i love about their beats and things i dont really like.. i just try to take all the good things i like about my favorite producers and mesh them togther with my own personal flava...and like mik-p said defintely get as many kicks and snares and hh as you can... when i first started making beats i was all about the sythns and vsts and stuff like that...now i realize that all u need to make a beat is a break and a nice drumkit

monumental

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
hey classic i think the idea about just jammin out and sampling some of it is a good one. as far as myself i have making beats for probably about a year and a half now, my beats are all over the place too i think this is good because i shows versatility. i want to have beats in my disks that nobody would know it would be a monumetal beat. Like when hear a primo beat or a dr. dre beat, you just know, and that's cool but the odd curve ball is also sweet. good luck peace

members online