Your vocal chain...

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
I'm looking to upgrade my vocal chain.

Currently it goes SM58 into MartiAudioBoostBarrel (an in-line preamp much like a Triton FetHead) into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

I have a FatMan valve compressor coming back to me soon (been on loan to a friend) and thinking of upgrading (or having an alternative) my mic.

As my room is untreated I've been looking at Large Diaphragm Dynamic microphones as opposed to Condensers with the Shure SM7b at the top of the list with the Rode Procaster coming in a close second.

I'm interested to hear about your vocal chain, mic/preamp/outboard choices; especially in poorly/untreated rooms...
(Low budget set ups that work well are of particular interest, I don't have thousands or even hundreds to blow)

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Ok the rode podcaster is a pile of shit compared to the sm7b , also in that range the sennheiser md421 is fantastic. The focusrite has a better preamp than that inline you are using, so you would be better off without it. I do like the Fatman but I doubt I would track to it. Oh did I mention I hate the sm58?? My signal path these days is a nice mic (421 or u87 whatever the studio has) to a nice pre amp, I am liking the chandler and true sound stuff these days to a nice a/d at home I have a focusrite at the studio it's lynx or apogee depending on where I am. Pretty much all the processing happens in the box as tracking vocals with a compressor can be scary if you mess up anything. Sadly I live in pro tools land a fair bit and use the waves ssl in pt, but I love me some reason at home and use the ssl console in reason for most processing.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Oh and seriously, best way to save money is buy quality stuff that last forever like that sm7b or md421, my 421 is 8 years old, I used it on every session I have done since I got it and tons of field recordings, and live shows. It's never needed repaired or anything. Buy cheap buy twice. You don't need every toy that comes along but you sure do need something that lasts.

OriginalNoGuru

The focusrite has a better preamp than that inline you are using, so you would be better off without it.

The Boost Barrel just gives a 20(ish)db boost of clean gain, meaning I'm able to drive the preamps in the 2i2 less when using the mic I have (the hated SM58!) meaning less noise (of the unwanted) variety in the recording.
At the moment - it's a definite boon!

I'm interested to hear about your vocal chain, mic/preamp/outboard choices; especially in poorly/untreated rooms...
(Low budget set ups that work well are of particular interest, I don't have thousands or even hundreds to blow)

OriginalNoGuru

The whole point on an in-line preamp is that it means you don't have to drive the pres on the soundcard so hard.

Mine is just a British made version of the Triton FetHead and built for use with Dynamic mics... Read (or watch) the reviews for the FetHead...

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Did you know that 2-3dB is a perceived double in volume. The focusrite has all the gain you need.

Do you understand how phantom power works? That FEThead does stuff with phantom, that is cool but makes no sense in your usage scenario.

The point of an inline pre amp is if your current pre doesnt have enough gain, and yours does and more to spare.

Anyway, lets get back on topic. How much do you have to spend and we can help.

Last edited:

OriginalNoGuru

I'll have about £150 which is why the SM7b (although I'd really like it) is probably a no... I can get the Rode Procaster and a shockmount for £150...
I've tried a friends NT1 and a Rode M3 (from work) but my room is tiny (3m x 3.4m), untreated (and as we are selling - which could take a year in current market, is unlikely to get treated) and these condensers seem to just 'suck up' unwanted room noise, so I normally go back to the 58 for vocals...

Other Large Diaphragm Dynamics I've considered have been the EV-RE20 and a Heil something or other (both of which are out of price range) and just worried that any LDC is going to give similar results to the NT1 in my room...

Another bonus I see in using a dynamic is that I can often get away with putting my own vox down using my monitors instead of headphones with minimal/to no spill in the mic when using a 58. I definitely 'perform' better this way than using headphones but that's probably a confidence thing!!

OriginalNoGuru

Is this mainly for hip hop vocals?

Mainly yes, although my missus has a voice and if I bully her enough she'll sing on tracks. She's sung live with groups as B-vox in the past

OriginalNoGuru

Ha!

Way too much info fella!

Still plannin' on a large diaphragm dynamic in the next few weeks but also just picked up a Superlux R102 (phantom powered) ribbon mic for very cheap on that auction site...

OriginalNoGuru

I'm actually really enjoying the R102. I do have to hang a duvet up when recording vocals (waiting for the arrival of a reflection filter) but it's a big improvement on the SM58.

I've also started recording my vocals (in fact all my instruments) straight into Maschine rather than into the DAW which has massively sped up my work flow. Only really using Studio One as mixer now.