Your thoughts on beat styles?

1. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Since it's being discussed right now in the shoutbox, I thought I'd create some real conversation in here.

What are your thoughts of making Trap or Boom Bap, or whatever other style?

I think it's best to make whatever you feel like, as long as you're good at it. Right now a lot of beats are Trap but that's because of the popularity. On the other hand, in the 90's it was all about Boom Bap. So it's not a matter of which is better but it's about why you make a particular style.

I just find that if you're making Trap it's most likely because it's either the popularity or the money aspect. The real problem I see is that the young ones starting out don't know any better so they just make what's hot. I've also seen countless beatmaking videos where they were using mad cheesy sounds, trying to make Trap lol.

2. OGBama

OGBama

Beatmaker
    I think a producer should make whatever moves them, commerce be damned. Also if a producer and/or artist wants to have a movement it is complicated by the fact that instant gratification doesn't allow for gestation of ideas.

With Trap the mumble rappers vocal non-performance plus repetitive beats is why I don't listen, but the part of me that is open minded will listen to some instrumental Zaytoven, Drumma Boy, etc. regarding the pioneers of Trap.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. A.R. DASUPASTAR

A.R. DASUPASTAR

Battle Points:
    I'm not knocking trap muzik, but I am a boom bap producer. I made like 2 trap beats in my life and they were nowhere near as better as my boom bap style of flipping sounds. There are different moods for different sub-genres of hip hop so there is diversification and versatility. To each it's own.

Klypse and Fade like this.
  4. Bugsy

Bugsy

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    I think that a Producer/Beatmaker should not have to confine themselves into a genre or style. After all that is what defines Hiphop, combining different elements. The best ones In my opinion is combining both giving respect to both parties.

Most people forget that when Planet Rock came out it was a mixture of disco music and Hiphop and is one of the founding foundations of our music.
    The thing that irritates most people is that most trap and mumble rap artists defines themselves as unique and that it has nothing to do with Hiphop or the other way around.
    I dont think that the music is the issue, its the disrespect that came out with it.

Dont ever forget that you are an artist and part of being one is to explore and push boundaries not to confine yourself to just one.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  5. Klypse

Klypse

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    It all depends on the mood I'm in or what I'm doing. As can you tell, I make strictly boombap and sometimes Hyphy but I used to make trap in my earlier days of producing. Like OGBama says, what give Trap a bad name is all the shitty rappers thats doing it right now and most people likes to do it for a quick buck.

6. OGBama

OGBama

Beatmaker
    @OGBama I meant what I stated about Trap and thing is I was never a purist who waxes nostalgic about "real" Hip Hop vs. "fake" Hip Hop as music is for different contexts. I always say one person's fake is another person's real.

7. Renegade Music

Renegade Music

*** ill o.g. ***
    Used to try and make beats with keyboards and synths and they never really "worked" it was very hit or miss. more miss than hit lol So I made alot of soul/boombap.etc but I've recently started making trap-ish beats and they are coming out pretty dope..In all honesty that "purist" mentality was holding me back. I've learned a lot and grown as a producer learning "trap" and I'm OPEN to explore more EDM styles of music..shyt I like some pop and dance beats. The rules are gone and I make whatever feels and sounds dope now. Best decision ever.

Klypse likes this.
  8. DJWIDEBODY

DJWIDEBODY

GO for what U know but being a producer for a whie now , i have to challege myself i never want to get in a box or be comfortable that i think yeilds having the same ol sounding beat or using the go to drums that u dont want to let go of so while the music has changed from 15 years ago everything has to evolve , i just say stay true to it and it will show with your production

9. Sucio

Sucio

Old and dirty...
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    I love trap......It's such a far cry from the boom bap I also love. It's like completely different ends of the spectrum....

I dabble in both as well as electronic music. I like to keep challenging myself to make something... And I just let it flow organically...whether it moves to the boom bap or trap, whatever I feel like doing.

Renegade Music and Fade like this.