The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
changeups.jpg

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
that's a common bit of "feedback" on hip hop sites, but if you listen to the music that everyone considers, nice, tight, the shit, whatever you want to call it, there's no fucking change-ups in any of it!

maybe people are referring to the instrumental needs more change-ups to be used as an instrumental. if you have an artist on it, that shit doesn't matter as much. i've literally sat down and listened to songs and counted change-ups.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ya I know, that's the thing. It's just I always thought it was funny how it got to the point where it was common for people to simply say "it needs more changeups", rather than give actual feedback. Like you said though, some HAVE no changeups, so ya they need them.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
depends .... sometimes 1 loop is strong enough to carry an entire song, sometimes it just sounds plain boring. Ex: CREAM by Wu Tang (a pretty good sample in that case). Also I agree with Wrightboy = many classic hip hop instrumentals sound empty and repetitive as standalone music compositions...but obviously sound fantastic with their respective vocals. My 2 cents.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Ya, it's difficult to make a 3-4 minute hip-hop composition without it getting tedious. I love Apollo Brown's - Clouds album as an instrumental album that does it right. Most songs are 2 minutes long give or take. Perfect length for not getting to boring.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I mean, I know most Hip Hop is loops pieced together with stuff thrown in for changeups, but some are just straight up loops. But then again, a lot of old school shit was 2-bar loops and it's just dope:

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
But that track without Kane is like the earth without oxygen, it just doesn't last. It's CLASSIC, but the two need each other!

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
But that track without Kane is like the earth without oxygen, it just doesn't last. It's CLASSIC, but the two need each other!
this is my point. i don't make beats for instrumental albums, i make beats for artists to rhyme, sing, cough, whatever over. so most of my stuff, "needs more change ups." you get a beat with a bunch of change ups, and an artist trying to rhyme over it, if it's not done right, which it rarely is, it easily turns into garbage. change ups for the sake of change ups.

not that i'm against change ups at all. hell, one of my favorite scarface songs was 2 beats from 2 producers, pasted together. a little more than the typical change up that we're referring to though. anyway...as pug said earlier, this shit is sloppy, it needs more change ups. i'm out.