You want to know why Kanye is so successful? He understands this truth!

• warzone (oct 8-12) signup begins in...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
In all honesty, that has nothing to do with Kanyes success. Kanye didn't make who is today all by himself...he relied on other people to get him on. The ethics of what he said carry a ton of weight I agree but in reality, he voided any ethic by saying "I hate when somebody asks me what happened to that da da da that you promised me?" Now who would Kanye be if those same people that helped him get on told him that we dont owe you ish? He would be that nicca asking that same question.

edit... Kayne is playing "it's no fun when the rabbit has the gun" .

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I agree dac, but I would say that he actively sought those people out. He networked his ass off and made things happen for himself. and yea it is WRONG if you promise someone and then don't deliver on your word. But I don't think that is what he meant.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I agree with his messege. It is kinda ironic he got on specifically by the graces of others lol (Dacs point)

Dream He had a manager that linked him with these people (No ID). I agree with you. He put himself in a position to reach who he needed to reach and rise. Both of you have points, and are right

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I dont even think KW is all that good, l feel like he emerged in the game when the game needed someone new and it just happened to be him. If you think back, KW's forte was producing, not rapping. At best, he's a mediocre MC, I'd rank his vocal skills a couple of notches below Mase. Come to think of it...he dropped out of college, which means that he was still young when he got on so when did he pay any dues busting ass and so on? Kanye had a lot of help getting on. His production game was on point at the start but thats even changed now, he doesn't make beats like he did at first. I cosign with 2Good, Fukem!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
lol, l have a cousin that was a huge KISS fan and we actually went to see them perform in concert, I think we were the only 2 black guys in a 100 mile radius...hahaha. Gene was a beast on the bass, anyway, as much as l luv hip hop, l've never desired to see KW live. That should say a lot right there. Gene and KW alike? Well that says alot too...LMAO!

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think its ironic that the majority of the anti kanye bloc are sample based boom bap producers...I have a theroy that those folks dont like him cause he has no problem letting them know that they are not and probably wont be on his level...if I cared about stuff like that I would probably hate one him too...

I think its ironic that the majority of the anti kanye bloc are sample based boom bap producers...I have a theroy that those folks dont like him cause he has no problem letting them know that they are not and probably wont be on his level...if I cared about stuff like that I would probably hate one him too...

I think Kanye is a very good producer, thats it. He is shit on the mic. He is a shit person, and I dont like him, it has nothing to do with jealousy. Cos if I never get on "his level" then I can die a happy man.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Its not a knock to any of you guys...the tenor regarding him is the same in all hip hop forums..."yeah he makes great musix but i dont like him cause he knows how good he is and wont stop reminding us"...I just think its funny cause before he dropped all the "true headz" "backpackers" or whatever thy call themselves hoped and prayed for a guy like kanye...an everyman who was pretty concious, would sample and take the focus of swiss and manny fresh with their triton 10 minute breats...he gave us college drop out but that wasnt good enough cause he wore pink polos...then he took it to another level on late registration...but wait whats all this euro fashion and buggin out at awards...its always some lil side issue...anything to distract people from his musical awesomeness...its lame. Kanye is great for hip hop, on and off the mic.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
This is how I view whats happened...roll with me if you dare (lol). Hip hop was originally born on the streets and like everything else it grew. It eventually made it's way into the mainstream thanks to "crossover" rappers (like RUN-DMC with "Walk This Way") and many others, producers and labels followed. Then came cats like Jay-Z that took it to another level of success. Then came producers like P. Diddy who couldn't rap worth a ish up the ante by getting on the mic and being accepted by the mainstream as "dope". True heads knew P. Diddy couldn't rap. But the mainstream luved him! PD introduced Craig Mack, Mase and a ton of other cats in the game. At this point, hip hop was doing very well in the mainstream BUT true hip hop heads weren't really feeling it but accepted it anyway. Even some so-called "hardcore underground heads" started crossing over. Then it just kinda died out, Dirty South cats started making some noise and hip hop was again alive with momentum. Meanwhile, boom bapp cats just kinda existed in the background (in the mainstreams eyes). Eventually labels stop signing and cats were falling off like crazy. Well when Dirty South music got corney, what was left? Nada, and after a periodof time, we hear that hip hop was dead, but that death wasn't the genre, it was from the mainstream. Hip hop was still alive on the streets but the shock really shook up the hip hop world so now "vets" (Nas, Jay-Z and others) started coming out of retirement. The damage was already done though, on top of that, it was at a time when a new generation of hip hoppers were coming up. Nas and Jay-Z never had a chance eventhough their sells were good (due mostly to the mainstream) it wasn't enough to put hip hop back where it was. Thats where we are right now, it's not that Kanye is a superdope rapper to anyone, he's still appealing to a mainstream audience. Which gives the impression that he is dope. Is that good for hip hop right now? Hell yeah it is (from a limelight perspective)! True heads look at Kanye and compare his skills to cats from back in the day and trust...Kanye, Diddy and a bunch of others would have never touched a mic if hip hop had maintained it's level. In conclusion, If you're hungry/straving, a stale piece of bread will look good! Kanye is not that great, who is his compettetion? Lil Wayne and who?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
@Dac I agree, with one exception.

Kayne is amazing at, music (we all agree) and making AMAZING hooks that get stuck in your head, this is an art in itself and something he should get props for. As far as flow goes I think he is a good rapper, not an AMAZING rapper like jay/em/gift of gab/etc but still pretty darn good. So I disagree with the "stale piece of bread" thing. But yea, hip-hop culture would do well to get honest again. I mean when you have kids living in there parents basement rapping about buying out the club or bitch's and hoe that's just lame. But that is hip-hop culture in the mainstream right now and that is TRAGIC! Because it comes from such amazing cultural roots, and the fact that the hip-hop pioneers wanted to help there community, but now its cool to be a gangster sigh......

but this brings it back to what I like about Kanye, I feel he is trying to get hip-hop accepted as the next level of art. To be great than it was, maybe to transcend it. I don't know if I can explain it well.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Kanye is tring to evolve hiphop. Yes. But in that process he has alienated alot of fans and people question why? and if what he's doing, is truly hiphop?