yamaha AN1 synth

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

ANYTHING is worth buying at the right price. Don't pay more than $500 US for it, you can get more powerful synths at that price new nowadays.

If I remember correctly, it is Yamaha's answer to the Nord Lead 1 and Roland JP-8000, it is a virtual analogue, 6 or 8 voices, 2 part multi timbral...I've got the JP-8000 and it is my favorite synth, I'm sure the AN1X is pretty sweet too.

Nick

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

It's a synthesizer that uses digital chips to emulate old analogue oscillators, filters, and other modulation sources like envelopes and LFO's to create new sounds from scratch.

What's nice about this that it is supposed to sound more like an older synth like a Moog or old Roland Jupiter/Juno (which were analogue) and less like one of the newer PCM based synths like the JV series or a sampler.

While PCM based synths use pre-sampled waveforms as their source sounds, virtual analogue synths generate brand new oscillators from the ground up, this helps prevent problems that PCM synths present such as bad multisampling and the effects of pitching samples up or down across the keyboard.

Because all the oscillators are generated from the ground up instead of simply triggering PCM files from ROM, you have a lot more options over how the sounds can be modulated, and the knobs give you much more real-time control over these options.

With it you can make some off-the-wall sounds that have a more 'organic' feel to them. This means that it feels like a real live instrument like a sax or guitar where things like temperature, humidity, what you had for breakfast, etc. can change the timbre of the notes played...these factors specifically won't effect the sound from the AN1x, but it will have more variation to its sound than if you just fired off some samples from a sampler.

And what's also so satisfying about a synth like this is that you are able to more easily make your own sounds from scratch which will set you apart from the rest. My JP-8000 is used more frequently in my tracks than any other synth because it is so much fun to program and because it sounds so good, I can make all sorts of weird noises that you just can't get out of a sampler

$250, provided it's in good condition, is a STEAL. You should definitely get it!

Nick

members online