Who here can read music?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
In junior high i could sight read and play. Learning the scales now.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
oh... how the sampler has stolen my gift... i havent read music in over 30 years... it was like english to me at one point... now its like reading hieroglyphics.. :-(

da relic

Yea dude, I am going through something similar. I used to be able to read a bass line and just play it, but it has been so long. I am trying to get back the skill set, but boy it's hard.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
You know, personally I think that playing by ear is soooo much more effective and actually better because your relying on a natural gift rather than notes on paper, unless you're having problems with finding the right notes...thats just my opinion though.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well, I think you need both. In an bizarre turn of events I am scoring a few video games and man to do string and horn arrangements right you just need to understand all the theory behind it you know. I mean I am a jam band bass player, so I agree with the play it by ear thing. But yea, it is cool to understand the music as well! Its certainly a fun journey.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
You know, personally I think that playing by ear is soooo much more effective and actually better because your relying on a natural gift rather than notes on paper, unless you're having problems with finding the right notes...thats just my opinion though.

There are more playing opportunities for people that can read. Learn musicality is another skillset, though very important