Where do you see the hip hop in 5 years? How will it evolve? In your opinion/hopes

Was discussing hip hop with some friends yesterday, and was speaking about hip hop coming back around to the boom bap style. Im not sure yet if hip hop is coming around full circle yet, but I really hope it does.
I would really like to hear some energy from the emcees, most of what I hear these days has me wanting to go to sleep. I have heard the occasional track or artist that gives me hope for the future.
Just was wondering what you think hip hop will sound like in 5 years from now, or hope it will sound like.
I really need to get my ears back on the ground, Ive been in a cave for about 2 years.
So, what do you think?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm just hoping that both the music and the lyrics get simpler. That's the main drawback for me when it comes to the current stuff. Either the music has too much going on in it or the MC is talking shit I can't understand.

I'd rather hear something I can relate to, instead of trying to decipher each lyrics like it's a fucking Cold War code.

I'd rather hear something I can relate to, instead of trying to decipher each lyrics like it's a fucking Cold War code.

LMFAO.
Id like the emcees to be high energy, or even just a lot more diversity in styles, there should be a little something for everyone. I would like the music to sound like mine in five years, lol.
I always liked "crew" tracks, or big collaborations. The Wake Up Show Anthem comes to mind.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I think hip-hop today is certainly a lot better than the shit that came out between 2000-2010 for the most part. I can't remember many albums from that period where I was like "OH SHIT I HAVE TO GET THAT". I've bought quite a few albums in the last 2-3 years and have genuinely been excited for new records coming out. So I am definitely excited, and there's a lot of talent, young and old that have amazing stuff to contribute.

Honestly I think hip hop is going the way of electronic music...the whole dubstep thing is taking over. Trap is doing the same thing. Not a big fan of either but I'm not stuck up, I make what ppl will buy. Hip hop is a business. The sooner we accept that the better.

Haha I know this well...I teach hip hop dance and produce hip hop, I even do stencils. Hip hop IS my life. Lol what I mean is that whether we like it or not, because it is a business, it's going to go in a million different WRONG directions forever haha it's up to us as producers and artists to keep it full of heart and as fans to keep it real.

Plus since my job is all hip hop, for me it to be a business and i have to be businesswoman and bite the bullet and make the kinda music people wanna buy. Which sometimes includes things I'm not a big fan of lol which kina contradicts what I just said above...and that my friends is exactly what I believe is wrong with hip hop. We all got bills to pay.

That shit has my ❤ no matter what is does regardless

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
Hola, illmuzik first lady! :):) yeah, we got bills to pay. You got all my respect.. Just for fun; -i guess im just a nerd, but ive been bboying almost all my life, i see this as an art form, the same way i see swing dance as an art form, in my eyes, you dont nececerry have to be Hip Hop to do bboying, the same way you can be a real Hip hop head an still love doing swing dance. I dont understand what is actually hip hop dance? I think i know what you mean, guess again im just beeing a bit nerd here, like what is Hip hop music? Music is music, hip hop is hip hop. Rap is an artform alot of hip hop heads are using.. Hip hop for me is open to everybody, its a way of life, you do not need to do any of the so called elements. We still put things in boxes, like this is hip hop, that is not. Hehe.. I would just want Hip hop to expand as an culture, and rap as an art form got alot of ways to go i think. I love the style, just think it still can go places.. In 5 years, i dont know, hope something cool will happend.. :))

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
I think there will always be creative underground cats that make some SICK music regardless of crowd or record label backing. That's just the way it's been and will remain, though I think they will get a little more shine than normal if they're smart about it and use the internet to get out there. That's the biggest difference. Now you can put your music up on the net and it could be better than a Kanye West but no one big supports it or cares, but who cares as long as you enjoy doing what you do and some people dig it

Hola, illmuzik first lady! :):) yeah, we got bills to pay. You got all my respect.. Just for fun; -i guess im just a nerd, but ive been bboying almost all my life, i see this as an art form, the same way i see swing dance as an art form, in my eyes, you dont nececerry have to be Hip Hop to do bboying, the same way you can be a real Hip hop head an still love doing swing dance. I dont understand what is actually hip hop dance? I think i know what you mean, guess again im just beeing a bit nerd here, like what is Hip hop music? Music is music, hip hop is hip hop. Rap is an artform alot of hip hop heads are using.. Hip hop for me is open to everybody, its a way of life, you do not need to do any of the so called elements. We still put things in boxes, like this is hip hop, that is not. Hehe.. I would just want Hip hop to expand as an culture, and rap as an art form got alot of ways to go i think. I love the style, just think it still can go places.. In 5 years, i dont know, hope something cool will happend.. :))

Awwww u called me First Lady ❤ Brownie points for you! Extra brownie points for being a bboy! I love you swing dancing analogy lol See for me, hip hop is all about the elements and the elements r what is the difference between hip hop and other music genres (that have NONE). For me there is a distance line between hip hop and rap, I NEVER use the word "rap". Rap to me is all that bling bling blast blast bullshit. Hip hop is deeper than that. People listen to rap, ppl LIVE hip hop. I'm very happy and impressed to hear ur a dancer, I ❤ Bboys.

Awwww u called me First Lady ❤ Brownie points for you! Extra brownie points for being a bboy! I love you swing dancing analogy lol See for me, hip hop is all about the elements and the elements r what is the difference between hip hop and other music genres (that have NONE). For me there is a distance line between hip hop and rap, I NEVER use the word "rap". Rap to me is all that bling bling blast blast bullshit. Hip hop is deeper than that. People listen to rap, ppl LIVE hip hop. I'm very happy and impressed to hear ur a dancer, I ❤ Bboys.

Technically Rap is just an element of hip hop. Rap is the spoken word of hip hop beats.
Hip Hop = Rap + Graffiti + BBoy/BGirl + Dj'ing + Beat Boxing + Beatmakers

If you belong to any of those disciplines then you are hip hop.
One of the "commandments" of hip hop is originality, along with dopeness.

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
(i need to learn were i can get this, you said, thing, haha) 2good: Hip Hop is : Peace, Love, Unity and having fun, the elements are there to help us achive this, these elements are options, not something you have to do. -for many years i was this hip hop head thinking you have to do atleast one of the elements or you simply cant call yourself Hip Hop. First when i grew up i understood these elements are there for people to come closer to the main thing. Peace, love, UNITY and having fun. The elements are options we got, we do not have to do them to be part of this wonderfull unity. Maybe it is easier to connect if we do the same thing, but this is still an option. if we have a hard time connectng with someone who do not do the same thing we do, then i think we need to put in some work sir. :) . I do not have to tell you this i think, but just to get it out there; The elements were ment in the start for people that had a hard time, fighting and getting in to problems etc so they could see things in a different way, in a non violence way. But yeah, wanted to say something on the matter, i think we do alot of good things in and for hip hop, but its going in alot of crazy directions if you ask me. Oh, and in 5 years, im hoping Bambaataa gets a new monster hit! :):)

Technically Rap is just an element of hip hop. Rap is the spoken word of hip hop beats.
Hip Hop = Rap + Graffiti + BBoy/BGirl + Dj'ing + Beat Boxing + Beatmakers

If you belong to any of those disciplines then you are hip hop.
One of the "commandments" of hip hop is originality, along with dopeness.

In this example I would referr to it as emceeing...but whatever it's all semantics lol I'm proud to belong to all of the above, I'm a hip hop bunny through and through. ❤