When It Comes To Digging...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I've been digging real hard lately and I'm curious if this has crossed anyone else's mind? There's not only a ton of jewels out there that popular and even rare artist make, but some of the ish I find while digging is borderline insane. It doesn't even really have a genre imo (or none that I know of)...lol. I don't really want to call any artist out but dayum! I've found some weird ish and my question is...What was the state of mind when the labels signed these cats from the jump?

I can't even imagine somebody listening to some of this stuff and thinking it would be a big seller. I know that there is music for everyone but geeez. Do you think the labels was experimenting with some of this ish? Were they desperate? I can't put any logic behind some of these albums. People who dig a lot know what I'm talking about. Then to look at the way labels "pick and choose", it amazes me when I hear some of this stuff. What do you all think?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Some signees are tax write offs. Maybe they all were coked up and it sounded good at the time lol idk

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
But to be honest, imagine what people who dug back in the 60's and 70's would have thought about finding a Wocka Flocka LP, or a Shorty Shitstain LP haha. There's some weird shit out there for sure!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
But to be honest, imagine what people who dug back in the 60's and 70's would have thought about finding a Wocka Flocka LP, or a Shorty Shitstain LP haha. There's some weird shit out there for sure!

@ Pug - Hey I feel that way today about Wocka Flocka! Im in a few record pools that provide only radio edits, i'll take them any day over the originals. I'm just not into all the swearing.

@ dp - now thats amazing to me. Times surely were good back in those days (as far as getting a deal).

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well kinda, the big problem is that you really could not build a following on your own. And even if the record flopped the label still owned you and I mean OWNED you even if the band breaks up, the members are still owned by the label. It was crazy back then. Shady stuff for sure!

But now you can build your own following, self publish. ETC its a much better system.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
That's what happens when the industry begins to make millions upon millions of dollars, everyone wants to get into the action and when big business gets involved, so do their methods of keeping their investments flourishing, hence the birth of the cookie cutter music industry that is among us.

And it's not just hip-hop...it's nearly every genre that's experiencing this.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
The business model for major labels for years was throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. One hit will pay for a thousand misses.

That business model does not really work anymore.

Thats a good point, think about how many motown artist there were that we never heard about that didnt make it. We only hear about the popular ones, or as DP says "the ones that stick".

Padrino Stackz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yeah man dome of these records I can't play more than 10 seconds lol. But some if them have sone crazy useable sounds still

members online