When did bare knuckle boxing become legal?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
LOL I was JUST watching that fight the other day. Insane. It started I think last year and it's gaining a lot of momentum.

Apparently the explanation was that since it's bare knuckle, they're more like to punch the body instead of the head so they don't break their hands. Plus, the strikes to the head won't be as many as those in boxing or MMA because it would be too easy to break your hands. That makes sense though in a way because if you look at boxing and MMA, since they have gloves (especially boxing being really padded), they just punch repeatedly to the head aka they all end up DERP.

PcHA-YVgnQQKaO590moW158HiopUwtOzAGk9DHXTdH8u3EitRNq09vFFopYk9HewZtv3lVK-krExN_4t0j6iaV1dFTVEd8jcMuTMgeR-fH2cPGK7UOE0Yg2ZbOFV

LOL I was JUST watching that fight the other day. Insane. It started I think last year and it's gaining a lot of momentum.

Apparently the explanation was that since it's bare knuckle, they're more like to punch the body instead of the head so they don't break their hands. Plus, the strikes to the head won't be as many as those in boxing or MMA because it would be too easy to break your hands. That makes sense though in a way because if you look at boxing and MMA, since they have gloves (especially boxing being really padded), they just punch repeatedly to the head aka they all end up DERP.

PcHA-YVgnQQKaO590moW158HiopUwtOzAGk9DHXTdH8u3EitRNq09vFFopYk9HewZtv3lVK-krExN_4t0j6iaV1dFTVEd8jcMuTMgeR-fH2cPGK7UOE0Yg2ZbOFV
But their hands are going to be fucked, Ive watched a few illegal bare knuckle fights and one thing that evry bare knuckle fighter doesnt have much of is knuckles

Remember the Kimbo fights? That shit was crazy. There was that one guy he beat where his eyeball popped out.
obviously you are talking the pre ufc days, I saw a few of his fights way back then, didnt watch the eyeball popper one though.
One of my best mates, the one that runs FK Studio looks just like Kimbo when he has his full beard

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Oh yeah way before his UFC stint. There was another he had in a garage with a big dude that messed him up, it was hard to tell but it was even or the other guy won I think.

But yeah with these fights I can't believe it's legal either. Just that one you posted, those guys are going to take a long time to heal. Maybe one fight every 2 years lol.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Urghhh... Kimbo... long time no see.

Also, an old form of bare knuckle fighting, that is legal (even here in France where UFC/Freefight and most of these are still prohibited if I'm correct) is Kyokushinkai. But there is a rule against punching the face, probably for the aforementioned reasons.

Also these guys are clearly taking this route for the money because they wouldn't stand a round against proper boxers and have bills to pay. Reminds one of Gladiators and Ludi in ancient Rome who had to put their life in danger to entertain wealthy people.
... I thought these barbaric times were over but I guess they never are.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm all for this bare knuckle boxing because why not? Let these guys beat the crap out of each other for our entertainment. Same thing with the olympics - I think they should let them take all the steroids they want. Let's get crazy. :confusedphones:

In Poland we had the first gala with bare knuckles fights last year. But they are kept in MMA form and it was the whole tournament. Something like in The Quest with Jean Claude Van-Damme. But they modified the rules in the following way. They had an oval ring without ropes and if one of the guys pushed the other one outside of that ring he was winning the fight. But I'm not sure whether they will keep this rule in future.

I'm all for this bare knuckle boxing because why not? Let these guys beat the crap out of each other for our entertainment. Same thing with the olympics - I think they should let them take all the steroids they want. Let's get crazy. :confusedphones:
I'm thinking the same thing. If people willingly do it, then why someone should stop them from doing this or organising such fights?

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
I am not saying we should stop people doing what they want to do. I just think if you pay them the same they both rather be wearing gloves... I may be wrong.

My feeling when I watch such fights is since they're not skilled enough to make a living in the more traditional circuits (ufc, wba/wbo/wbc/ibf...), they have to be tough (mostly mentally) which they are. The promoters are selling a freak show not a boxing fight. The thrill comes from the danger, not the technique or physical abilities of the boxers...

Again just sharing my opinion which is just as valid as yours.

I am not saying we should stop people doing what they want to do. I just think if you pay them the same they both rather be wearing gloves... I may be wrong.

My feeling when I watch such fights is since they're not skilled enough to make a living in the more traditional circuits (ufc, wba/wbo/wbc/ibf...), they have to be tough (mostly mentally) which they are. The promoters are selling a freak show not a boxing fight. The thrill comes from the danger, not the technique or physical abilities of the boxers...

Again just sharing my opinion which is just as valid as yours.
Some people arent able to get a license to fight professionally, someone like Lenny Mclean and his temper issues could only ever fight in unlicensed fights.
Sometimes a criminal record will prevent them from being professional, so this is the only option they have if the have that instinct in them that they must throw down.