What's with the "selling beats" nowadays?

• beat this! voting starts in...

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
Hi!

What am I missing? I see people selling beats on their website for $50 or so. Is it how it's done nowadays?

I used to think (and still do, actually) that good music comes when people put their balls on the line together, with the will to produce good music for the sake of nothing else but music.

To me, the whole "beat selling trend" is like when most photographers, in order to become "pro", just do wedding photography, so they can say they're "pro", and make a few bucks.

I may be wrong here, but I'd like to understand. if my objective is, first and foremost to make good music with people, why would I want to sell my beats to people I don't know, people I don't necessarily appreciate?

What am I missing here? is this how it's done today?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I know what you mean. It's always been a big debate about selling beats versus working with an artist. They both have their upsides, but I can see where selling beats is more attractive today. You get quick cash and don't have to work with anyone else, so it's like your beat is a product.

On the other hand, working with an artist is a great path as well, but let's face it - it's much more difficult to find an artist that you want to work with and wants to work with you.

Years ago it was more common to find a rapper and you make music together, and most of the time if was a friend anyway. But today? A lot more different. Plus, many rappers today aren't looking for anything long term either, so it comes back to the quick cash option.

If I had my choice, I would go with working with an artist, but in today's world, selling beats seems more ideal.

Selling beats is nothing new. People have been selling beats in the internet for years. I think it's great to have your own website where you can showcase your music and sell it. As a producer you deserve money from the beats that you make. Selling beats is good way to get money from the beats that you have produced. I am not sure how it goes when you are working with some particular artist, do they sign a deal about the income? If you are a beat maker who doesn't get any money from his music why don't you try to sell beats?

I think that finding a artist isn't a hard thing to do but it demands that you are actively reaching out to people on internet and in the real world. There are so many facebook groups and soundcloud groups for independent rap artists. Send them a message and make relationships.

Hadoq

I do understand the perspective of "making money for my work". However, in my particular situation, I don't really *need* to make money with my music. I have a small -and growing- retail business, which is not much, but pays the bills, and is relatively satisfying on a more personal level.

so regarding beats, my position is the following: I don't need, nor really want the money

However, my goal is to make the best music I possibly can. And that involves going along with my music until it reaches it's "end product" stage.
I don't really want to let go of my music.

I don't judge those who want to sell beats, but I do believe it has to be not as good as a real, full on collaboration, it can't be. or at least I don't see how it could be, or maybe out of sheer luck. hell I don't know.

I mean, I understand, many people do it, maybe even most. but most people vote, most people go to macdonalds and drink coke, most people are afraid, most people look for shortcuts in life etc... you get my point.

maybe I should try and reach out to some artists I appreciate, and there are plenty of talented people everywhere.

anyway, thanks for your input, it's appreciated to gain new perspectives

Spuntastic

cinephile/beatmaker
Battle Points: 82
so regarding beats, my position is the following: I don't need, nor really want the money

I personally need the money but I don't want any for my beats.
My position is: as soon as money is involved your beats will sound differently. Cause then you don't think about what sounds best for you, but for everyone else. This doesn't have to be a bad thing but in my opinion there's no creativity involved anymore then. So, naturally I can't take people seriously who are writing on their soundcloud "License for each beat: 50$. Master-license 150$ .... blabla" That's just wack and to me you're not an artist then. You're just another manager. One of those who made the music industry what it is nowadays, a fucking joke.

And I think I made a few enemys right now...

Money corrupts everything. That's just my piece

Hadoq

Well, @Spuntastic I don't think people who do that are not artists, but I do believe that they believe it's the best way for them to "get there".

Money is a marker, you can quantify money, and if you make money out of something you do, you can then, socialy, "legitimize" it to your peers. like in "look, I'm a professional, I make money". So you're not your family's little loser black sheep anymore: you got a "job"

At least it was that for me, a few years ago. I wanted to "make it". This is also why, I personnaly don't like the term "producer". I consider myself a composer, not a producer, I don't put out a product, I put out whatever I find in the depths of my soul, this is, to me, the antithesis of a "product". I don't do it to sell it, I do it because I want people to enjoy it, hear it, share it. It comes down to a very primal need, the need to feel loved.
My music is the most accurate expression of who I truly am.

but then again, we all come from different places, and we're all here for different reasons. The choices I make for myself are my own, and I wouldn't question the choices others made for themselves. Although I would want to understand them better. Maybe I'm missing something important.

But yea, money does tend to corrupt things. But money is also an enabler, it gives you choices. Like choice to do what you like. the kind of music you like, because you like music.

For money, I do stuff that I enjoy, but more on a hobby level. And it's great that way. But for music, as said, I don't have to sell it, and I feel free to do just however I please with my music.

it's been a while since it happened last, maybe I was still a young child when I felt that free, musically. And I'm grateful for that.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Spritejohnson You're right - there are a lot of rappers that you can connect with, however I think what @Spuntastic is saying about how money is fucking everything up, plays a big part in it. Sure, rappers are a dime a dozen but the hard part is finding someone that you really want to work with. For example, if you make mellow beats, it won't work if you hook up with someone that wants Trap beats, obviously.

I think that because money is the driving force for a lot of beatmakers and rappers, then the music WILL change to a certain degree. I would love to work with some rappers but I, like many of you, am picky as to what kind of rapper I would want on my beats. I could sell my beats for $50 a pop but I'd rather sell them for much more to a rapper that I actually like.

P

Peaks94

Hi Guys,

Really interesting convo about selling beats. It seems as if music producers are being pushed this way to do so.

However it seems as if there isn't platform for the best makers to really connect with rappers unless there seems to be a giant big machine behind it.

Would it be more beneficial to both parties for their to be a medium which can help producers and artists to get in touch with each other to really increase the artistic creativity on both sides?

What Im trying to say is a personalised directory for beat makers to approach artists and vice versa. I know sound cloud does exist it's a bit hit and miss.

What are people's thoughts ?

Hadoq

Hi Guys,

Really interesting convo about selling beats. It seems as if music producers are being pushed this way to do so.

However it seems as if there isn't platform for the best makers to really connect with rappers unless there seems to be a giant big machine behind it.

Would it be more beneficial to both parties for their to be a medium which can help producers and artists to get in touch with each other to really increase the artistic creativity on both sides?

What Im trying to say is a personalised directory for beat makers to approach artists and vice versa. I know sound cloud does exist it's a bit hit and miss.

What are people's thoughts ?

sounds like a good business idea. Although this seems like a good enough platform, this forum.

I remember ten years ago, there was this very dynamic, yet fairly small hip hop forum, a little bit like this one, higher than average skill level, more mature and open minded than average. I know this is where I got my best collaborations from. Maybe some of you remember the old neblina forum (no trace left online now, tho)

on another note, words create reality. And I believe this "selling beats" situation comes, at least partially, from people calling themselves "producers" rather than "composers". Introducing the concept of "product". A product is something you produce, then sell. A composition is something you compose, then share. They are two very different approaches.

I believe people began to sell beats in the mid 2000s (on the form we know now, websites, $50ish a pop and what have you).
But I never saw successful "producers" (god I hate that word with all my soul) selling beats for 50 a pop online.
Yes they do make money out of beats, but it still ends up being a full on collaboration, within a larger business endeavour.

Our music can only be as good as we see it. if we see it as a product, it can be a very good product, but it won't ever be as good as if we saw it as a piece of art, an expression of who we truly are deep within our own soul and heart.

I never thought I'd remove the outcome in my music. I always hoped I'd make money with it. but now I have my company, so I don't depend on my music for my hopes and dreams, nor do I depend on it for living. I effectively "freed" my music from outside influence, pressure, deadlines etc...

and my music became deeper, better, it allowed it to go in so many more directions artistically, stylistically. All because I removed the outcome from my creative process. I don't need it to appeal to others, I don't have to find out what is trending, I can just create whatever I feel.

For that reason, I feel it has an unlocked potential that commercial producers may have lost. It doesn't have to be "drake style" or "trap", so it will sell better.

And I believe this is how the best music is made, free of commercial incentive. At least this seems to be true to me

MaseedProd

www.maseedproductions.com
When you get into this game called "the music business", it's just that...THE BUSINESS OF MUSIC which implies that for the most part, you're in it to make money. I used to think like you @Spuntastic. I was emotionally attached to my beats and only wanted the perfect artists to appear on them. I didn't want to sell them unless I could sell them for major money. Since in most cases, the artists that I would want to feature on my tracks were either not within my reach or signed to record deals already, I was only left with the "local talent" which in many cases just didn't have the gusto to take my music to where I felt it needed to go. So I found myself stacking up all these beats that I was making on my hard drive. Had all these beats that were going unheard, unreleased, and not making me any money at all.

It was at that point when I made a very important decision. I could keep doing what I was doing and not get anything out of it other than a few bragging rights here and there or I could position myself to get a little cheese here and there for my efforts. See dog, while you may frown on a so-called "wack artist" rapping or singing over your beat, you never know what kind of reach that person may have. That person could actually blow you up in ways you never thought of, so don't be so quick to undermine or down play someone else's creativity. To me, when someone actually buys a beat or a lease from me, it's paying me the greatest respect as a producer and I am truly honored because in these times where it's so easy to get free beats, they thought so highly of mine that they were willing to pay the price that I was asking for it.

I actually sell beats and leases a lot and have been since the early 90's long before myflashstore, soundgine, soundclick, ect ever came into play, so another thing you might wanna ask yourself is..."Am I making the kind of music that people would actually buy in the first place?"

Hadoq

"Am I making the kind of music that people would actually buy in the first place?"

I do respect your position, I really do. But this is a position I do not want for myself.
As said above, the sole reason why I do music, and always have, is because I have something I want to express. it has nothing to do with money and making a living.
But I thought, 20 or so years ago, that I could, and I wanted to make a living out of my music. Then it became a job.
Of course I what I wanted, was my music to be known, and at the same time, I wanted financial security.

So I quickly realized, as in many businesses (even tho, as a long time business owner and entrepreneur, I don't believe it today), I had to "sell", in that I had to make it so my music would be liked by as many people as possible.

and my music became poor, it wasn't about expressing something buried deep within my very soul anymore, it was about the business and making a buck.

There's nothing wrong with making a buck with music, there's nothing wrong to be wanting that either.

What I can tell by personal experience, for me, is that music will never be a business to me. I don't care if I make money with it or not, I wouldn't mind making money with it, but not because I'm good at doing popular music, but rather, because my music tells stories that resonnate with many people on a spiritual level.

Now this is my position, I'm not saying it's the right position, and selling beats is wrong, but it's the right position for me. not the best position if I want to make a quick buck, but the best position if I want to make the best music that I can.

Besides, you say you are selling beats for over 20 years, obviously, it's fair to say it's not the best way if you want to become the next Dr Dre.

Dr Dre or Premier or all the biggest artists did not do their music because they thought it would be popular, they became popular because their music resonnated with many people.

This is what "popular" means. And either you are at the origin of the popularity, your music resonnates, and then you're a big game, either you are more like a "follower of popularity", in which case the true nature of the music you will do, will not be *your* true and deepest nature.

This is a trade-off I'm not willing to make, and I'm in a position that allows me not to make it.

there's a difference here between the "music I do", and "my music". If I'm getting paid, it'll be for my music, not for the music I do. And it won't be $50 a pop either. but then again, I can afford that, not everybody can.
Maybe one day I'll change my mind on that, but as for now, I'm perfectly happy and fine trying to find like minded artists to collab with for virtually free

D

DHood

I feel like if your goal is to make great music, selling beats is just one way of getting there. With the money that you make from that, you can invest in equipment and even into getting features/placements. I agree that it should not only be about the money, but a lot of times that money can help the bigger purpose (making great music).

MaseedProd

@Hadoq, I make music for the people not just for myself. If I wanted to just make music for myself then I would make it, never release it, and play it for my own personal listening pleasure. It's not about any trade-offs, popularity contests or any of that. I don't want this or that, I want this and that and because I have set up a means of funding the music I put out, the more likely I will be to getting closer to doing this full time. I have a very good 6 figure career in the IT field and my music just adds to that budget bruh. Not to mention, I also have placements on my resume' as well.

As for how Dre got into the game, he started off as a DJ (paid to spin records), you saw the movie. He used a craft he had to get him paid so that he could do the type of music he wanted to do. He came in the game with a plan to make music his business, thus spawning his alliance with Eazy-E who funded their 1st projects. Now tell me again how me making money off my beats isn't doing just that? My beats and engineering pay for my website, for equipment and advertising and my business pays for itself without me having to tap into my personal income from my job.

At the end of the day, do what you do with your music...no one can tell you any different. Make the best music you can, and keep it bangin' simple as that. I am a diverse producer and I make the best music I can no matter what genre it is and because of the fact that I have diversified my offerings, it does make my production more marketable overall. Don't get it fucc'd up and think that less talent is required to make what you make consider "popular music". The same skill I put into boombap, I also put into trap respectively.

Hadoq

I don't actually think less talent is required, I have tried, and failed at making what I call "popular music"
I'm not casting any judgement on what you do, we all have our truth and if I want you to respect mine, I must first respect yours. I realize I may have come off judgemental, but this wasn't my intention at all.
I did not understand, at my level, the concept of selling beats as we can see it flourish currently online.
now I understand it better, thanks to this discussion, and I am comforted in my own idea, for my own self and how I want to make music.

Music is something deeply, deeply personal, and we're all on our own journey. Maybe where I found "dry land", you found your treasure. We're not supposed to all take the same path, I'm not asking you to join mine, nor am I telling you you should leave yours.

by all means, as long as you do whatever makes you happy, I'll be glad for you.

OffSet

HIpHOP
ill o.g.
What's up ? I know I am probably a little late on the subject but if I may give my opinion on this. I have nothing against selling beats as long as that doesn't become your main focus, let me explain I know some of us or just myself I try to stay focus on the music and not what's hot. But sometime you might hear a new track that for some reason is what's hot so now you find yourself try to work on something similar. In hopes to sell it. That's were I don't like selling beats cause then I am not making my music , I am make it for money. If I sell a beat I want it to be just that my music. Plus getting paid for my sound is more rewarding then for what's hot on the radio.

MaseedProd

I don't know about y'all but no matter what I make, it's "MY SOUND". All music is influenced by someone or something else so stop tooting your horns as if your shit is 100% original and doesn't in some way borrow from something that came before it. If you're sampling, then your using an influence, if you're using a vst that contains vintage synths, loops, breaks, one shots, ect., then guess what? You're using a musical influence. Hate to break it to you but, it is what it is.

I can label my beats, "Drake type beat, Kanye type beat, ect. all day long. Don't get it fucked up, "type" just means that the feel of the track would be along the same lines as that artist. If you'd feel good rappin' on a "Drake beat" then you'd feel good rappin' on this "Drake type Maseed beat". It's just a point of reference and it doesn't make you a biter.

There are millions of producers and hundreds of millions of beats out there, you gotta give customers and fans some type of reference point so that they can find their way to you. Purist lose sight of that shit and as profound of a musical statement you may think you music makes, I never really hear any noise from it? Where are your fans and supporters and when I say supporters, I'm talking about people that have actually spent money with you. Where they at? Downloading your "FREE MIXTAPE" and going to your "FREE SHOWS" is not support. For those of you that go to church, when you go at the end of the service, they take up an offering from the church goers. It's how the church goers show support for the spiritual nourishment they received. My point in saying that is to get you to realize that if your movement is about anything worthwhile, then you're gonna need support, preferably, financial support.

Nothing wrong with making music just for yourself or doing it as a hobby, have fun with that but don't you dare try to put it up against cats that put in the grind to actually make a living with this shit cause we're not the same bruh.