What Motivates You

S

Spen Zilla

What Motivates You?

1. What motivates you?
For awhile my motivation was just to make it and be able to eat off of music, but to be motivated off being successful is a bad thing, because it's self-destructing every minute you spend that you are not reaching this idea of success.

2. Do you have role models/people you look up to?
I look up to Jay-z as far as a business mind and a be all you can be type persepective.

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1. What motivates you?
Many things. The number one thing would have to be that I want to witness something NEW. Music is the only outlet for Me to create something that I have never heard before. I am at the point where I am saying "give me something i havent seen before". I am glad I found this website where I can listen to new producers and not have to get force fed the same recycled music on the radio.

hmmm

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
whenever somebody compliments my work, that shit just pushes me

to me its all about getting a reaction from people that arent close to me, it motivates me more when somebody that I dont know be like ya ish is hot

S

Spen Zilla

agent smith i feel the whole destined to be important, i used to feel like that a lot, i lost that feeling when my motivation changed from bettering my music to making a steady income...

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Spen Zilla said:
1. What motivates you?
For awhile my motivation was just to make it and be able to eat off of music, but to be motivated off being successful is a bad thing, because it's self-destructing every minute you spend that you are not reaching this idea of success.

I look up to Jay-z as far as a business mind and a be all you can be type persepective.

What motivates me?

Anybody who claims to be the "hottest" at what they do. Business is the only thing that can compare to the rush I used to get from athletics. Since I no longer desire to compete athletically I need an outlet for my competitive drive.

Do I have role models/people I look up to?

Certainly. I'm inspired by everyday people and life. It could be a local cat who got a production deal, or a manager who got their artist a hot collaboration--anything that YOU do I observe, take notes, and get busy.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Spen Zilla said:
1. What motivates you?

What motivates me?
Every time I her d4l.....

Role models
In the music world Jay, Jermaine Dupri, and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Jay and JD becuase of there business mind sets and Terry and Jimmy Jam becuase of ther longevity

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
I'm motivated by my music. And the reaction by others. Nothing compares to steppin out the booth after sptittin somethin ill and lookin at cats faces. Plus, when I let someone hear a beat for the first time and they immediatly start bobbin heads or want to jump on the track. Businesswise, i'll reach that bridge once I cross it. I can't let money interfer with what I do. I like amiing music and thats enuff motivation for me...if I make money then that's just a plus.

I look up to the cats that will stay indy just for the fact that they won't water down there music for radio or television. That's "real". That also inspires me to do what I do.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Bloodybastid said:
Doing something important motivates me, it's a lot better than sitting on my ass doing nothing.

Having a mutifacated life with many things going on inspires me. In the past all i really had was a job an hiphop.. but now i have school, a job, hiphop, an mpc which also inspires me, and a good life. and much less alcohol

i'm glad im a lot more than just hiphop, that's inspiring

bootl3g

ill o.g.
i'm motivated from all the listener feedback

i like hearing what people think of the music and it keeps me going when they tell me the tracks are slappin. that keeps me on the motivational tip, and keeps me trying to make new knocks.

Killah Tekniq

ill o.g.
Me & my moms never had a real good relationship growin up and have increasingly grown apart over the years so Ive always used her as my motivation. Ive never been the type to do good in school or nothing like that so I basically just want to do something that'll make her proud of me & hopefully help heal our relationship.

The RZA was a great influence on my music.

Killah Tekniq

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Killah Tekniq said:
Me & my moms never had a real good relationship growin up and have increasingly grown apart over the years so Ive always used her as my motivation. Ive never been the type to do good in school or nothing like that so I basically just want to do something that'll make my her proud of me & hopefully help heal our relationship.

The RZA was a great influence on my music.

Killah Tekniq

hey that's some sweet shit i'll make sure to check it on a Showcase

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1. My people. Everything I do is for my people and for our freedom. Every step I make as an MC and a producer is, to me, a step toward helping my people.

2. I look up to Tupac Amaru Shakur for doing what he believed in and for his people, to Aman for taking me in and working for our people, Nas for keeping it real and being insanely creative lyrically, and Jay-Z for his business sense.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
just to be able to do something fun and creative and the fact that someday if i work hard enough i can make money doing it.

and i look up to anybody that makes the sacrifices needed to make it to the big time regardless of the business they r in

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
FistFulloDollaz said:
whenever somebody compliments my work, that shit just pushes me

to me its all about getting a reaction from people that arent close to me, it motivates me more when somebody that I dont know be like ya ish is hot

I feel you. I was living in a small city that gave me amazing credit for our work, and bought hundreds of CDs from our group. But I needed to put things in perspective, so I left to find if others could appreciate my shit as well. I was happy to find a universal appreciation, including from people who I never met, and it feels SO much better when someone drives by you blastin your shit, and you have no clue who they are!

shadeed said:
Since I no longer desire to compete athletically I need an outlet for my competitive drive.

Wow. In high school I went through the SAME EXACT THING. I quit varsity baseball in 10th grade because of the [go-home-after-school-and-get-high-and-make-something-to-put-on-tape] lifestyle that took me in. It was my favorite [mistake?] I've ever made.

StressWon said:
I'm motivated by my music. And the reaction by others. Nothing compares to steppin out the booth after sptittin somethin ill and lookin at cats faces. Plus, when I let someone hear a beat for the first time and they immediatly start bobbin heads or want to jump on the track. Businesswise, i'll reach that bridge once I cross it. I can't let money interfer with what I do. I like amiing music and thats enuff motivation for me...if I make money then that's just a plus.

I look up to the cats that will stay indy just for the fact that they won't water down there music for radio or television. That's "real". That also inspires me to do what I do.

Stress, I really like your attitude.

Spen Zilla said:
1. What motivates you?

1. I'm motivated by a few things. First, the talent out there that reaches me personally. I used to be strictly hip hop, (which I thought of as shallow) but now I get inspired by ALL types of music. Second, when I'm in the studio in the middle of making a beat, or in front of the mic, or behind the console in the sweet spot between both monitors, and things are going REALLY well, and third, when I receive the feedback from others when I finish, that reinforces me to get my ass back in the studio immediately to do it again. I think we all share a sense of pride (if not we wouldn't be able to express ourselves completely) and when that sense of pride is fulfilled, we feel like gods of our own domain, creating beats like children; in seven days, and then resting on Sunday to listen to the shit. Although it may seem narcissistic of me, I still allow myself to get inspired by my own motivation and talent, and a feedback loop is made that oscillates right back into the same channel I was lighting up LEDs on in the first place.

2. I take a tiny piece from who I can, and like to create my own role models. No one is perfect, and if you put all your eggs in one basket, thinking one way is the right way to do it, then your beats will beat your eggs scrambled. I look up to Nas for his storytelling skills, Rza for his [just-touch-the-keys-and-buttons-until-something-hot-comes-out-and-don't-care-about-how-uncut-the-shit-sounds] technique. I respect Jay-Z for his business sense, not much for his message, but a little credit for his wordplay and lax attitude. I appreciated Biggie for his skill in delivery (although I hated it when the day he died, EVERYONE claimed he was their FAVORITE rapper).
I mostly look up to artists who started from scratch, poured their hearts out in rhymes or music, found a new lavish life, went through a BRIEF period of an album called "I'm The Shit, Girls Lick Me Clean, Money Is God, And I Got All In Between", then realize that it's more about content, and deliver some heartfelt shit, usually about how they fell after they thought they were on top of the world. In other words: I guess my favorite role models are yin and yang.

Lo-Key

ill o.g.
There are many motivating factors... a message I want to get out, not wanting others to think i'm laxing in my game, competition from other catz doin the same thing, other artists, everyday experiences, struggles, breaking out of this 9-5 bullshit, and sometimes I just need something to take my mind away from things for awhile.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Motivation--creating a beat that I enjoy listening to and am proud that I am responsible for bringing it into reality. Developing skill and figuring out how things work, like the software that I use.

Inspiration--Walter Payton (the man, hard-worker, proud), Ayn Rand (genius, courageous, creative), the "Robber Barons" (productive geniuses that made life better for everybody but have always been denounced for it). Musically I have to say Devin because he has a similar attitude towards making music that I do, as well as many Illmuzik producers, who bring heat out of their own bedrooms.

members online