What Makes a Classic Rap Album?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Too many "classics" nowadays. I think it's thrown around too much today but people are used to using that word on a daily basis. For example, instead of saying "this album is dope", more people today will say "this album is classic". Doesn't mean it's necessarily an actual classic, but people may not realize that actually mean it's just a GOOD album.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Too many "classics" nowadays. I think it's thrown around too much today but people are used to using that word on a daily basis. For example, instead of saying "this album is dope", more people today will say "this album is classic". Doesn't mean it's necessarily an actual classic, but people may not realize that actually mean it's just a GOOD album.
True indeed. I remember Illmatic,Ready to Die and Chronic coming out.At the time, the word classic didn't pop into my mind. I just would listen to them all day long. It wasn't until 5-10 years later that I associated the word classic to those albums. To go deeper, it wasn't til The Chronic and Doggy Style came out that my peers and myself consciously acknowledged Paid in Full as a "classic". To us, Paid in Full was the standard, so if an album wasn't better or as good as Paid in Full, it wasn't a classic.