1. The next Beat This! Competition will be from December 20-21st!
  2. Listen to the latest episode of WaveFormz!

What is the lead instrumental sound in Dr. Dre's "Next Episode," "Still Dre,"?

1. " Killah! "

" Killah! "

It's this "clicking" guitar mute instrumental line with some really mild filtering on it. I heard it in "Next Episode," "Still Dre," and WC's "The Streets."

Anybody know what it is?

2. Copenhagen

Copenhagen

I think all are samples, at least the Dre songs are.

I think the original for Still Dre (Grant Green) is just a piano, sounds plucked though. The instrument in Next Episode (David Axelrod) sounds like some kind of ethnic plucked guitar...

3. HaZwaiOh

HaZwaiOh

*** ill o.g. ***
    interesting! once again david axelrod. that dude has been a source for many sample seeking producers

4. Copenhagen

Copenhagen

Yeah, and the man still makes great music today. He even did an album where he had collabos with Ras Kass etc...

In regards to old soul, did you all hear that Nina Simone died the other day, aged 70.

5. " Killah! "

" Killah! "

"The Next Episode" from the David McCallum CD, "Music Is A Part Of Me". The song sampled is called "Edge" and David McCallum is David Axelrod's real name.

6. Big La

Big La

Axelrod is the MAN!

When I heard Diamond's remix for Ras Kass' "Soul On Ice", i was obsessed with finding that sample. When I finally picked up Axelrod's "Mental Traveler" I flipped!!!

7. Copenhagen

Copenhagen

Yeah, David McCallum Axelrod has been used quite a lot. I'm into obtaining the original sample too...got a lot of well known (and not so well known) original samples by now.

Going even more off topic, Bob James has made a lot of stuff too. Maybe we should start a thread about it.

8. otniel-one

otniel-one

nice bunch of misinformation 'killah' --
    david mccallum is/was an actor (UNCLE etc) and david axelrod
    produced and arranged his albums. also, "the edge" is from
    the album "music - a bit more of me" and not the "part of me".
    as far as the original question, i don't think that the sounds
    heard on dre's album are samples. sounds more like the stuff
    is re-played with triton or something.

9. Prosper

Prosper

yea dont even lemme get started on Bob James....he has been a source for sampling in Hip-Hop since the eighties....dude is that nice...even Timbaland....a dude who uses a keyboard, sampled Bob James...1

10. worldcityceo

worldcityceo

*** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    looking back on old posts, seraching if anyone has heard the likes of Grant Green, I just hopped on the bandwagon...has anyone sampled from him lately

11. DJDRAGN9

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
    *** ill o.g. ***
    the next episode is from david mccallum.i believe its a interpolation,dre does that alot he'll get the sample replayed so he wont pay as much for the sample.

12. berserk

berserk

Monster Music
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    next episode is a replayed sample

still dre is a replayed sample

i have a similar clicking guitar mute, it's also on 50's in da club..

13. gram green

gram green

*** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    yo i dont think next episode is replayed... they used the same sample on a missin linx single a couple years before that... it sounded exactly the same... the drums were a little stronger on dres shit ... but it wasnt replayed

14. berserk

berserk

Monster Music
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    it was, because the original is a slightly different instrument... also the original goes, da da... fuck it i can't explain in text... but u get the idea...

15. gram green

gram green

*** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    i got the original too.. trust me he aint replay that

16. Copenhagen

Copenhagen

With the musicians, instruments and gear Dre has in stock, I am sure he could replay, and would replay it, to save paying the performance rights.

Tash used "The Edge" too on his solo album, just noticed that the other day.

17. Jimba Frosty

Jimba Frosty

*** ill o.g. ***
    i have dres sample mix and its replayed, its just a clean guitar muted with a lil bit phaze on it its hella ez to re-create

18. gram green

gram green

*** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    i guess you aint talkin bout the whole shit ... like the intro part is definately sampled... the muted guitar part i guess could be replayed.. but the intro is sampled... so i wouldnt see why sample the intro and replay the little riff in the verse

19. B.Hawk

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
    *** ill o.g. ***
    yea man ask scott storch he did all the keyboard work. dont jock him ya know find ya own sh.. thats the best way man experiment and you'll come across it ya feel me?

20. Jimba Frosty

Jimba Frosty

*** ill o.g. ***
    dude the the guitar is re-played and the intro/chours could be sampled but i hear some differances in the sounds abit so who knows but im listne to his sample mix (they play the sample shorty then the song dre did shorty) so trust me when i say this lol