Weekly Workshop #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I figured we could try something new and see how it pans out.

What is the Weekly Workshop?
  • Each Monday we'll start a new workshop thread.
  • The purpose is for anyone to post any music production questions they may have.
  • The goal is to help all those that have questions, so all members are encouraged to ask questions and also answer other members.
  • Even if you think it's a stupid question, ask anyway!
The difference with a regular thread and the Weekly Workshop is this encourages all members to ask questions and to also help one another.

So - who needs help?

dBtheProducer

Autism Dad, I Use FL Studio
Battle Points: 89
heres a question?

for producers who make money off there beats...
is it better to give up performance rights to join BMI and publish my beats?
or is it better to sell beats online for a flat rate of exclusive rights?

i am interested in monetizing my music but i would like to hear your opinions and shit especialy if you experience already making money off your music..

@dBtheProducer , you don't have to give up your performance rights at all. i'm with BMI, I choose not to perform and just be the producer..i also sell my beats 2 ways: Exclusive and NON-EXCLUSIVE. There are a lot of artists that just want to buy beats but only have a small budget so they buy the NON-EXCLUSIVE because it's cheaper. And the artists that have a little fame will buy the beat outright(Exclusive) because they do shows and radio promos and they don't want another artist with the same beat. i have monetization on my soundcloud & Youtube and have made over $100.00 so far, so if someone uploads my music to their page or something i get a little kick back

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Mic choices for vocals is the issue for me. Beginner w/a budget under $1000. Condenser wanted as USB is said to not be ideal.

Mic choices for vocals is the issue for me. Beginner w/a budget under $1000. Condenser wanted as USB is said to not be ideal.
@OGBama , the best and cheapest mic would be the MXL 770x multi-pattern vocal condenser microphone package for $200 -250. A lot of the artists I produce use this. I think it's on sale at Amazon.com

ATR360

ReZoUnD
Battle Points: 42
I recently recorded in my garage with a cheap Presonus PRM1 (a Calibration Mic). Heres a sample.
But if you can make that $1000 budget, then I suggest from experience and huge reviews and records all ready done professionally with this mic...StevenSlates VMS. it comes with a preamp, mic and software needed. Could be the last mic you need or until you make enough money to have a mic locker. Good news is, any mic below this budget is doable. But even so here are some recommendations..mxl mogami v69 u can also change tube to improve harmonics, next SM7b great dynamic mic that can be used with or with out filter for different color, and last but not least The Almighty SM57 or 58...none has lasted nor surpass its professional uses in the past and still to this present day. All these mics starting from the mxl v69, Sure SM7b, SM57 and 58 can be bought together with out reaching $1000...and the crowd goes wild aHaaaa hAAAAh, thank you thank you, your so kind...I'm just a humble servant. lol hope that helps, any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I think the one I have is the AT4040. I only use it for voice work (as you can hear on AOTB or in YouTube videos) but I love the sound of it. I was aiming for something else at the time (this was years ago) but after I discussed it more with the sales guy at the store, the 4040 seemed more ideal for me.

Kron Zilla

The rapper that became a producer.
Battle Points: 22
@OGBama , the best and cheapest mic would be the MXL 770x multi-pattern vocal condenser microphone package for $200 -250. A lot of the artists I produce use this. I think it's on sale at Amazon.com
If you're gonna go with the 200 ti 250 price range, I'd say you should try a Rode Nt1a. The warm sound you get from it is crazy for the price point.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I would like to know how you promote your music? What are the best ways to promote the music? Any thoughts? :)
It can be very hard today since you're competing with tons of other beatmakers. Quick answer is: have a main site where people can find your music and link to that site as much as possible. Like here in your signature (then you'd have to post regularly so people see your signature more), Twitter, FB, YouTube, etc. It could be a beat-selling website or your own site, as long as you drive as many people there as possible.

But there's other options. I'm tagging @DEEZ BEATZ on this one.

How do you start making a beat?
Does the cohesiveness of the beat depend on the theory that you begin making your beat with?
I'm new to making beats so I've always wondered...
Oh and who has the new omniverse? Does it have any features worth jumping the purchase of the original?
To start making a beat, it can be long to explain but I did do a video about that not long ago. Maybe it give you ideas and point you in the right direction:

Is wix website builder a good place to sell beats?
It could be, however I'm not sure how much control WIX has over your site. Do they keep their strip at the top and bottom of everyone's sites? But you could still make a site with them and use that solely to promote your beats. Like what I mentioned in my answer above. If you mean to set up a storefront on WIX, I don't know if they allow that, but you could always embed a store in your site. For example if you signup with Airbit, you can embed your "store" player on your site.

Status
Not open for further replies.