We are at DEFCON 2!

• warzone (oct 8-12) signup begins in...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
A few months ago I was flipping thru the channels and saw ?uestlove of the ROOTS talking. So I stopped and listened to what he was saying. ?uest was talking about the future of our music, he was basically saying that "the ROOTS" was the last black band signed to a major label and it's not looking good in the future.

Also, I've noticed a large drop in "file sharing" participation. Torrents aren't what they were as little as 2 years ago. It appears that even "free" music is losing it's demand. Now I know there are some hardcore cats out there that think this is just a phase and they may be correct but I'm still concerned about "whats next?"

If something doesn't happen soon, I fear the worst... NO MUSIC! What would the world be like with no music? Imagine that! Look at the facts...in my area, ALL of the record stores have closed (ofcorse we still got Wally World). We had 4 musicians stores that sold instruments in the early 2000's, now we have one and it is literally hanging on by a thread.

No instruments = no musicians = no albums = NO MUSIC!

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
"The day the music died..."

Music will never die. There will always be musicians, there will always be songwriters, there will always be music fans.

Even if the industry did collapse, would people just stop listening to music? Nope. Its been here since the early days of Africa, and it ain't going no where in the long run. Does the near future look bright for us as artists/musicians? It doesn't look great, but hey, if making music/performing is what you love to do, then you can't go wrong doing exactly that.

Personally I think the death of major labels could be a positive thing, the power/money driven people running them could care less about how the music sounds.. things might be better if musicians had their shit in their own hands again.

And to quote Dark Knight.. "Its always the darkest before the dawn" lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I hope you guys are right! But I don't see it. Justin Bieber is the hottest new thing and I just cant see hip hoppers doing very much sampling from his stuff but hey, who knows? I don't really think that we will ever be without music and I don't even want you all to think thats what I'm suggesting, hip hop/r&b is declining at an alarming rate if you do the math. What we do doesn't even make up a formidable percentage of that 4 plus billion dollar industry that isn't going anywhere.

More Interesting facts: Top Money Artists from 6/09 to 6/10

1.The Rolling Stones
Total Earnings: $88 million

2.Jay-Z
Total Earnings: $83 million

3.Madonna
Total Earnings: $72 million

4.Bon Jovi
Total Earnings: $67 million

5.Elton John
$53 million

This is according to forbes.com, I hope you all like rock/pop ALOT! Also, take a close look at the list... Elton John? Bon Jovi? Madonna? The Rolling Stones? everyone of these cats are almost old enough to be Jay-Z's parents and some are old enough! As far as the hip hop community goes...Jay-Z is considered old school...my point is...these cats are on the out, they don't have another 20 years to give. Whats Next?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
@Dac We Are

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Off Topic

OT:

Too bad illmember God isnt around anymore to weigh in on this.
He was Micheal Jackson though so he cant be back RIP to him.

HAHAHAHAHAHhahaha! Its funny cause it's TRUE!
LMAO

I dont want to believe in this but, the dates match up. The knowledge matches up, not sure about the strip club stories tho. I was a lurker then so I didnt get to interact with him but I'd believe it

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Dude why WOULDNT Mike know about that shit?

Weather he was there or not is not the point, thats how shit works..

Imagine all the shit you would have asked if you had known then!

The dates absolutely match up btw

We should start a whole thread to debate that conspiracy, adding quotes from him and all that.

If it wasnt him then one day hes gonna come back and be amused lol

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
The language used and I cant see mike in the titty bar. But, It all couldve been a personality act. Mike was great at adapting learning and commiting so.... yea

Last activity 6-19-09 10am | MJ died 6-25-09 totally plausible. crazy to imagine though. being that close to the man himself.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Imagine if it really was...

Lol...

I think God "gave up on us".

We're not ready for the industry..