Vocal PreAmps

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Greetings Ill,

I currently use the M-Audio Firewire 410 as a preamp and use a KSM-27 to record, with protools 8.01.

I use a few nice processors to finely calibrate the vocal waveforms BUT... I'd rather make these adjustments live with a nice PreAmp.

Therefore, the pricing of PreAmps begin at the TubePRE for $129.99 and extend into, and beyond, the AD 2022 for $2970.00.

I am assuming that my Firewire 410 is very compatible to the TubePre; although, for vocal recording my Firewire does not utilize tubes.

So... I am okay with spending $200.00 on a PreAMP, but only if it will deliver a 30-50% increase of quality over the Firewire 410 in overall recording/liveOption quality.

So.. I think I need someone to set me straight on my situation.

I'm okay with using processors and my vocal techniques are getting better with every joint.. but if can I invest in a PreAmp that would do me great justice under 300 (close to 200) then I would be on point with new hardware.

Much Respect,
-Chrono T

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What I would recommend is to go to a music store somewhere and tell them you're interested in buying a preamp and have them demo a few for you. Of course, you won't buy it there because I'm sure there's a cheaper one online... but at least you'll get an idea of what a good preamp will do to your vocals.

If you try to think of sound in terms of percentages... you will only find yourself confused and lost. Sound is not math... well it kinda is... but that's not the point. Your ears determine quality, not mathematical equations and waveforms.

I've used a $100 tube pre from PreSonus for over 4 years and it works great for vocals or miking instruments. I've also used a $1000 MKII from Universal Audio that worked just allright for vocals, but worked miracles on some stuff... It all depends on your ears. I would have to say, try to aim for a tube-based preamp rather than a digital one. Tube is generally warmer and more forgiving of inconsistencies.. although, you may find a digital one that fits your budget a little better and sounds good...

Stick with things that make a difference that you can hear and that you like and you'll be all set.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Balling on a budget grab this one http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMIC2200

I own it and I have no complaints. Really warms up my vocals. When I bout mine it was around $200 and now there under a bill. I don't think u can go wrong with it and if it's not what you want with it being under a bill it shouldn't set u back much.

I wouldn't go by how things sound at the store because they never sound the same in your studio!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Save up for a few more, even 99 bucks on a cheap solution is 99 bucks wasted on getting something usefull. Best bang for the buck would be the FMR, if you want tube try the vtb ( the mic2200 is a fake btw but who cares at 99 bucks lol)

Doc Vigilanti

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So... I am okay with spending $200.00 on a PreAMP, but only if it will deliver a 30-50% increase of quality......

Much Respect,
-Chrono T

Is your room acoustically treated? If it isn't then I suggest putting that 200 bucks into acoustic treatment. The reason why is because even if you were to go out and spend 3 grand on a mic-pre an improperly treated room is going to make it sound like crap.

My suggestion is to drop some bank into acoustically treating your room and then save up and get a high-end pre-amp. That way you aren't wasting money and you will actually get the percentage of gain in quality that you are looking for.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
( the mic2200 is a fake btw but who cares at 99 bucks lol)

You're a funny guy!

Chrono if the $99 joint sounds good to you go with it. I'm speaking from the stand point of actually owning this. For what I do it's just fine. If you're pretty good at mixing vocals you can damn near make anything work. U said you're on a budget and for dropping hip hop vocals you don't need a $1000 pre or a $500 one. You may not need one at all based on what you already have. Nobody does a lot to hip hop vocals. If you can record it hot and clean you can make them sound like anything on the radio today. Hollar at Stresswon, his vocals always sound good to me. I don't think he spent much at all on what he uses. Fancy mic and pre's only make a significant difference if you're recording Rnb or Pop vocals or if you record live instruments. If that's the case keep saving and get what you think you need.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Its really a fake lol the tube doesnt light up, but the leds behind it do and it even fakes ramp up of the tube. Aside from that, 12ax7 nos is costly, if its an original you would be lookin roughly 99 bucks lol. I'd say that this is ideal for anyone not being critical at all lol.

Doc also made a good point, if you want any quality at all from your mic chain than room conditions come prior to the actual gear. When it comes down to gear you can have a great sound from a good pre with a mediocre mic but NOT vice versa.

Something that must be said when judging on what sounds good when talking about preamps is that, indeed, most of us cant ever really tell what makes the difference between a good mic pre and a budget one in a home studio. Which means that most of us will always be doubting their recordings untill they hit a good controlroom to hear the flaws of the budget gear. It helps if you have a good pre amp but only because it would come out alright if used neutral, in that case it wont destroy a recording and can be editable in an environment suitable for mixing.

Macky

ill o.g.
Behringer tube's are not fake actually... Some preamp tubes just do not light up. They are working but don't light up. Tubes behringer is using are not made to light (idk to save money i guess) but they are working. Now those leds are made just for suckers who can hear warmness of the sound when light goes on...lol

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I run logic and use the m audio 410, just recently got a lil presonus mic pre...nothin serious just gain and drive control...The difference is night and day for me. The key was having an idea of how I wanted the vox to sound and understanding my gear enough to bring it to life...just about any well tuned pre will improve your vocal recording, IF you have a quiet room.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Behringer tube's are not fake actually... Some preamp tubes just do not light up. They are working but don't light up. Tubes behringer is using are not made to light (idk to save money i guess) but they are working. Now those leds are made just for suckers who can hear warmness of the sound when light goes on...lol

... tubes emit light, period, a tube that doesn't light up is broken, its that simple.
But hell, if you believe it...awesome...it has tubes which might be working but probably not connected...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Greetings Ill,

I'd rather make these adjustments live with a nice PreAmp.

So... I am okay with spending $200.00 on a PreAMP, but only if it will deliver a 30-50% increase of quality over the Firewire 410 in overall recording/liveOption quality.

Everyone is making very good points. This is thedreampolice material right here but I dont think you will get your 30-50% increase in quality over the Firewire 410 for under $300 and thats what it appears that youre looking for (unless you're interested in used gear).

dac

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ha ha thanks, Macky is correct but Behringer is just such a unethical company I wont even look at there products. I do like presonus allot but I don't know if it will be enough of an improvement over your 410 to justify the money. I do agree that the RNP is amazing for the money. I actually have an Firewire 1814 and I think the pres are about the same, so I guess the advice is save up your money!

Macky

ill o.g.
... tubes emit light, period, a tube that doesn't light up is broken, its that simple.
But hell, if you believe it...awesome...it has tubes which might be working but probably not connected...

hm ill not go there again but pls don't write "period" if u don't know... And u don't...

Anyway if RNP is mentioned so much u know what u should get... On the other hand RNP is great and really clean but im worried just "clean" is not something ull be happy with...
But for that money its basically ur only option. U could stay with ur 410 and save lil more money...