Using Samples

RezKing

Hi I wanted to see how other people use sample and also the straight proper way they are to be used. What I mean is not in the music but how it should be done in terms of giving credit to the original source, song, and musicians.

I have always used what ever I wanted because I was just making what I thought would sound cool and never really thought about it anymore than that. So now basically after making beats and instrumentals for years and I have chopped up many many little samples but don't remember where I got them from and have 3 questions.

First say I have a snare that is cut from a song that I had did 5 years ago. I still have the file but it's not labeled right and says like Snare32 so I have no clue what song it was chopped from. How do other move from there? Do you still use it or not? And does it matter if you do?

My seconds question would be say I'm chopping new stuff up now and I'm paying attention and labeling everything proper, can I even use it anyway? Never paid any mind to copyright things before.

Here's an example of what I mean and also the third question.

If I cut the entire drum pack I'm gonna use from the Charles Mingus song Trio and Group Dancers and I want to source it all, what would I do to source it? What are all the steps you have to take when using a sample proper?

I'm trying to see how others do it just themselves but also then also how it is to be done terms of copyright and the official way to handle all that.

Thanks for any help!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I know what you mean, I'm the same way too. For years I just used random samples and didn't even keep a list of what I used but I'm not worried about that. Like @thedreampolice said - if you're not selling a bunch of units don't worry about it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Definitely. Although I would say more people are not using samples since there's tons of synths out there, but samples are for sure still being used a lot. The main difference is the millionaire artists that sample can afford to pay.

members online