Off Topic This Is Why Most Rappers Today Suck

rakim.jpg

They all sound the same.

Obviously the headline to this article is going to get a lot of people talking, but it had to be said. Most rappers today just suck. I can't believe that I'm actually writing about this topic because I never thought it would get to this point, but Rap music today has gone way off course that everyone needs to regroup, refocus, and start from scratch.

Here's why.

Rap Music Is All About Being Unique

One of the greatest things about Rap music and Hip Hop as a whole, is that anyone can be whatever they want to be. If you're a rapper, you can be funny, political, angry, philosophical, or even walk on stage wearing a clown outfit. Producers can take a beat wherever they want, turning it into a hard-hitting track or a mellow jazzy tune. The world is yours. (Nas, 1994).

However, many rappers today forgot about the unique aspect of Rap music and instead focus on other things such as sounding and looking like a popular rapper, and most of it is because of popularity and money.

It doesn't help that the record labels, music fans, and just the music industry overall are pushing a certain style of Rap upon everyone's ears (think Jay-Z and Kanye West), so of course any up and coming rapper will naturally end up sounding like someone else.

Do you remember a Rap group from the early 90's called the UMC's?

Their first album was really good, and their style was fun and uptempo. They wore colorful clothes and rapped about just regular things, and it was that type of style that made me go out and buy their cassette. Unfortunately, they didn't last. Around 1994 they resurfaced with a brand new look, dressed all in black with hoodies and saying they had a street sound.

That was the last anyone heard of the UMC's.

So what went wrong? They were no longer unique.

When they came out with their happy and fun style, it made them unique and they had a style that fit them. When they switched to a hardcore street style, it felt completely forced and they also looked and sounded like every other hardcore group at the time. Wu Tang, Group Home, and Gangstarr were some of the names that came to mind.

It's All About the Influence

Humans are easily influenced. I think it's actually ingrained in our DNA and we're suckers for a shiny new thing from a big advertisement with gold trim. This is why there have been so many times where I heard a rapper sound like someone else.

For example, back in the 90's I had a friend that was a rapper and loved to freestyle. One day we're freestyling and when it was his turn I had to stop him. He was wondering what was going on and I simply said to him, "you sound like DMX". This is because he was heavily into DMX and was so influenced by his style that he blended it into his own.

Now I completely understand if someone gets influenced enough that it becomes part of their everyday life, but it can't happen in Rap music. There are lots of rappers that sound like Jay Z or Kanye, and they most likely do it because they know that style is what is popular and what will sell. You can be inspired by another artist, but don't try to sound like them just because they're popular.

I'm sure there are record labels that have been searching for unsigned acts that sound like Jay Z, this way the label can have their own version of him at a fraction of the cost. I wouldn't be surprised.

What I Miss the Most in Rap

Years ago, Rap music had it all. There was the political rapper (Public Enemy), the funny rapper (Fresh Prince), the philosopher (KRS-One), with the list going on and on.

Why don't we have that today? The sad part about all of this is that I'm not just referring to the mainstream rappers, this mainly applies to the underground ones.

Underground rappers used to always have a certain style, one where they would brag non stop about dominating other emcees. But because of all the influence surrounding them 24/7, it's no longer about that. Yes, there are some underground rappers that are still true, but there are many others that are on the borderline of being underground and rapping about owning a Bentley. This is influence.

Rappers of all levels need to focus solely on themselves. It's the same with beatmaking. I'm always reviewing beats and the same thing applies there too - be unique. Some beatmakers will say that they make Trap beats or whatever, when in fact they should just be saying that they “make beats". That's it.

Don't label yourself because the minute you do, you're not being yourself, instead you're automatically putting yourself into a category and you'll sound like everyone else.

In Closing

Why do you think DMX was so popular? It's because he had a unique look, voice, and style.
Why do you think Rakim is always regarded as one of the best rappers ever? His voice always stood out from the rest.

I can't stress it enough about being yourself and having your own style. There are a million rappers out there today and they're all online trying to be recognized from the rest, so why would you want to sound like someone else? That makes no sense.

Just rap. Do what comes naturally and the rest will fall into place. I guarantee you that if you come out with a style that is different from the rest, you will definitely stand out. Trust me.

Last edited:

JR_

No, I disagree. The entertainment industry used to entertain, now it just rams "the latest thing" down our throats, whether we want it or not.
it’s easy to remember all the good stuff and forget the bad stuff. It’s that weird memory bias. But it’s always been the same. Again you’re just exposed to more of it because anyway can become viral quickly. But they won’t stand the test of time.

it’s easy to remember all the good stuff and forget the bad stuff. It’s that weird memory bias. But it’s always been the same. Again you’re just exposed to more of it because anyway can become viral quickly. But they won’t stand the test of time.
I cant say I disagree with this statement, there is an element of rose tinted specs, but then the late 80's and 90's provided some of the most memorable and original movies and music of my whole life. I have been blessed with a pretty decent memory, it fades with time, but I can still remember a lot.
I find it hard to think of anything thats better now than in the 90's or early 00's. Creativity IMO, took a dive around 2010-2013, thats when the globalist agenda trumped everything, and now it even trumps maintaining a profitable company, like Disney.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The political and funniness that @Fade speaks of was corny and sounded the same too.
It wasn't corny at all. The fun rap was fun and the political rap was dope!

Funny how people get all "oh member back in the day", each generation before talks shit on the next generations art.
We're not shitting on today's music, it's just that today's isn't as good. There's plenty of good music still out today but I can't say it's better than something like Gangstarr, for example.

People just get stuck inside their purist nostalgia bubble and try to argue that what they experienced was the best.
It has nothing to do with being a purist, not at all. Music years ago was literally better than today's. Every generation of music is different, but there's so much music of all genres back then that's way better than what's being put out today.

I mean complaining in general is just annoying. I mean if you're not doing anything to change it it's kinda annoying.
LOL, I've seen this response so many times. We have the right to complain because we ARE doing something about it. We're making beats! We're in it. We're doing it. At least we're trying to make a change. Even for me, doing IllMuzik is my major contribution. How is that not change?

JR_

I cant say I disagree with this statement, there is an element of rose tinted specs, but then the late 80's and 90's provided some of the most memorable and original movies and music of my whole life. I have been blessed with a pretty decent memory, it fades with time, but I can still remember a lot.
I find it hard to think of anything thats better now than in the 90's or early 00's. Creativity IMO, took a dive around 2010-2013, thats when the globalist agenda trumped everything, and now it even trumps maintaining a profitable company, like Disney.
I agree that the quality, thought, and originality put into those at the time was way better than it is today. I guess my point is despite the increased abundance of shitty rap, I'm still able to find new stuff that I enjoy. Not necessarily because of it's musicianship, but because I can zone out and dance, shadow box, bang my head to it.

I agree that the quality, thought, and originality put into those at the time was way better than it is today. I guess my point is despite the increased abundance of shitty rap, I'm still able to find new stuff that I enjoy. Not necessarily because of it's musicianship, but because I can zone out and dance, shadow box, bang my head to it.
good music does exist yes, but its hard to find, you have to put the work in to find it, it isnt being pushed or promoted, we have to find it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
There's many things that have changed how the music is today, such as environmental, societal, etc and of course the industry itself with how labels fund their artists, plus artists not even having a label and doing it all themselves online.

But one of the biggest differences is the technology of making beats. This I think is a major contributing factor because being able to make a beat is so easy compared to what it was years ago. Like @2GooD Productions said about the creativity taking a dive around 2010-2013, a big part of that could be HOW we make beats, which is quicker by the day. I've seen countless beatmakers brag about how they just banged out 20 beats in one day. Everyone is liking their post but I'm thinking, "WHY?". What's the rush to make so many beats? Take your time, put out quality. It's not a race. I guess we've forgotten that it's about being creative and expressing yourself.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
But one of the biggest differences is the technology of making beats. This I think is a major contributing factor because being able to make a beat is so easy compared to what it was years ago. Like @2GooD Productions said about the creativity taking a dive around 2010-2013, a big part of that could be HOW we make beats, which is quicker by the day. I've seen countless beatmakers brag about how they just banged out 20 beats in one day. Everyone is liking their post but I'm thinking, "WHY?". What's the rush to make so many beats? Take your time, put out quality. It's not a race. I guess we've forgotten that it's about being creative and expressing yourself.
Yep. Is 'cause they think about music as a business in the wrong way. They think "yo bro download FL and some loop packs bro and sell type beats bro, branding bro make a logo bro"

They're trying to sell a cheap product. Like they're selling counterfeit fidget spinners or some shit. That's not how music works.

This coupled with idiots with no clue thinking they're doing pro jobs, just lile with Graphic Design, people thinking downloading Photoshop and watching some tutorials makes you a graphic designer. Then what's worse, is their idiot friends and networks who go "omg this is so good" giving them a platform for their nonsense work.

That's why music really needs a good level of gatekeeping and quality control.

People pick up Fruity Loops, download "trap loop pack" "trap template" put some same drums over a detuned sample, have a logo made and start "selling beats" after two months thinking it will make them millionaires.

It's great that music is so accessible, but it's also its biggest curse. Instead of raising the level of competition, it's lowered it and made it random amd saturated commodity that young kids camt discern whats good or bad they just listen to whats new or what theyre told it'll be forgot about after a day.

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
Yep. Is 'cause they think about music as a business in the wrong way. They think "yo bro download FL and some loop packs bro and sell type beats bro, branding bro make a logo bro"

They're trying to sell a cheap product. Like they're selling counterfeit fidget spinners or some shit. That's not how music works.

This coupled with idiots with no clue thinking they're doing pro jobs, just lile with Graphic Design, people thinking downloading Photoshop and watching some tutorials makes you a graphic designer. Then what's worse, is their idiot friends and networks who go "omg this is so good" giving them a platform for their nonsense work.

That's why music really needs a good level of gatekeeping and quality control.

People pick up Fruity Loops, download "trap loop pack" "trap template" put some same drums over a detuned sample, have a logo made and start "selling beats" after two months thinking it will make them millionaires.

It's great that music is so accessible, but it's also its biggest curse. Instead of raising the level of competition, it's lowered it and made it random amd saturated commodity that young kids camt discern whats good or bad they just listen to whats new or what theyre told it'll be forgot about after a day.
True
I'm hoping that new beatmakers understand that there is more to Hip-Hop than what they see and hear today. I understand it is tempting to look at the beatmaking scene and think "Hey, if I produce a X type beat" then my product will sell and rappers will line up to my beats store" but that is not the case. Maybe for a few who got lucky but that's not the case for the majority of us.

They should also change their approach to beatmaking. I think that also parallels with the ease of technology because some if not many see it as a "get-rich quick" process. The faster I make beats, the faster the check comes in. The Alchemist said it best in one of the interviews when he talked about cats being motivated to make music for the sole purpose of making money. He was like look, money shouldn't be a motivation to make music. That should be the icing on the cake. Get a 9 to 5 or hustle anyway you can so that you don't feel pressured to survive solely on making and selling beats because it can corrupt the way you approach music. if they go into beatmaking with that approach, the quality of music would go up I belive and the same goes for rappers.

Even if they use FL Studio or any other DAW or software, it takes years to master audio recording. It's not an overnight success and there's more to it than just downloading samples and adding beats on top of them. If they can utilize the other features of FL Studio like VSTs, then it would help increase the quality of music.