Things that keep you from being successful and other random thoughts....

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I was just thinking about things that slowed me down and mistakes I made trying to get somewhere in this industry. And honestly I think the biggest things are life's distractions. I love RJD2 and I have to quote him here.

"from the POV of TIME, these things are your mortal enemy:

-shopping for gear online
-learning new gear
-fixing gear
"

Man been there, of course a few of these where part of my day job but still. Its so easy to worry about gear. Or spend time doing things other than what moves you closer to your goal of doing music full time. At this point I am convinced that all you need is #1 a good product (notice I said good, not amazing or brilliant) and more importantly AMAZING marketing.

So I would challenge everyone to do one or both of these two things everyday.

#1 work hard on your craft to improve your music

#2 work hard on marketing yourself and your music

if you are not consistently doing both of these things, then you have a nice hobby and that's fine but that is all it will ever be. So come on illmuzik, we have enough talent here to take over. LETS DO IT! Lets get some records out, let's let the world know we mean business!

I was just thinking about things that slowed me down and mistakes I made trying to get somewhere in this industry. And honestly I think the biggest things are life's distractions. I love RJD2 and I have to quote him here.

-learning new gear
-fixing gear
"

Man been there, of course a few of these where part of my day job but still. Its so easy to worry about gear. Or spend time doing things other than what moves you closer to your goal of doing music full time. At this point I am convinced that all you need is #1 a good product (notice I said good, not amazing or brilliant) and more importantly AMAZING marketing.

if you are not consistently doing both of these things, then you have a nice hobby and that's fine but that is all it will ever be. So come on illmuzik, we have enough talent here to take over. LETS DO IT! Lets get some records out, let's let the world know we mean business!

thats my biggest problem, Im shit at networking and marketing.
another problem I have is thinking stuff just isnt good enough.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21

I think allot of people have that problem, but I would encourage you to do your best and not worry about it. And I think getting a record done and released will #1 be an amazing learning experience that you can build on and #2 a HUGE Confidence boost, it really opens the doors to do more.

Making mistakes is human, in fact some of the most amazing music ever made has mistakes in it. So be yourself, make heat and have something to show for it. I mean it's super cool when you get down about music to fire up the itunes store and to be able to search your own name. That will encourage you to keep going, because you did it already.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
@2Good - I think a part of your problem is that you feel that hip hop has changed to something that no longer meets your expectations (I share those thoughts), but don't let that bother you like it does...You make some dope ish bruh, and I'm not just saying that. You have a dope, overall skill set (one of the best I've seen). Your beats, the quality, the sound, and your composing skills are ef'in crazy! Do your music man, don't worry about the condition of hip hop. Get it out there, look at how others are grinding and take that up a level or two. Do some projects with some MC's and attack the internet with it. I think you would do really well.

@dp - Really dope post! I think my problem is a mixture of things. I've always carried the philosophy that if you're not gonna give it your all...then don't even bother... I don't give it my all because of the real estate garbage that I'm involved in. It's really my bread and butter but I have a passion for hip hop that I just can't shake. In order for me to go all out with it would mean taking away from what has allowed me to spend as much time as I do with it now. It's a kinda ef'ed up position to be in.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Great topic.

I'm in the same situation. I'm trying to get things going but there's lots of things that get in the way such as day to day life, but also sometimes for me it's just lack of motivation. But I think the lack of motivation is caused by the life stuff lol. It's at the point where almost everything I try to do is blocked eventually by something that throws me off track.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44

-learning new gear
-fixing gear
"

YESS

thats my biggest problem, Im shit at networking and marketing.

So am I. You gotta take time to study marketing, and the way people interact. Also, there are books that can give you ideas to break out.

@2Good - I think a part of your problem is that you feel that hip hop has changed to something that no longer meets your expectations (I share those thoughts), but don't let that bother you like it does...You make some dope ish bruh, and I'm not just saying that. You have a dope, overall skill set (one of the best I've seen). Your beats, the quality, the sound, and your composing skills are ef'in crazy! Do your music man, don't worry about the condition of hip hop. Get it out there, look at how others are grinding and take that up a level or two. Do some projects with some MC's and attack the internet with it. I think you would do really well.

@dp - Really dope post! I think my problem is a mixture of things. I've always carried the philosophy that if you're not gonna give it your all...then don't even bother... I don't give it my all because of the real estate garbage that I'm involved in. It's really my bread and butter but I have a passion for hip hop that I just can't shake. In order for me to go all out with it would mean taking away from what has allowed me to spend as much time as I do with it now. It's a kinda ef'ed up position to be in.

Dedicate some of that play time to online networking, or promotion, etc. If you can make beats Im sure you can fire up the comp and tackle some marketing and promo. ...Even while you make beats

Great topic.

I'm in the same situation. I'm trying to get things going but there's lots of things that get in the way such as day to day life, but also sometimes for me it's just lack of motivation. But I think the lack of motivation is caused by the life stuff lol. It's at the point where almost everything I try to do is blocked eventually by something that throws me off track.

You gotta stay head-strong! I dont know your situation but there arent many where its impossible

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
DOX said:
Dedicate some of that play time to online networking, or promotion, etc. If you can make beats Im sure you can fire up the comp and tackle some marketing and promo. ...Even while you make beats

I think I'm one of the very few that is doing this ish just for fun and for my luv of it. I'm not promoting my beats or even trying to get in the game anymore...I've been down that road with this guy...

I can't count the 'up until 4am in the morning' sessons we had, we had a manager from ATL, photo shoots, shopped demo's, booked live shows, the whole nine...then I got married and moved 4.5 hours away...lol. He has gone on to do the 'trip hop' thing and released 3 or 4 CD's. I got credits on a couple but those days are far gone for me now. We still keep in contact but thats about it.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I think I'm one of the very few that is doing this ish just for fun and for my luv of it. I'm not promoting my beats or even trying to get in the game anymore...I've been down that road with this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkfKhqJBq4

I can't count the 'up until 4am in the morning' sessons we had, we had a manager from ATL, photo shoots, shopped demo's, booked live shows, the whole nine...then I got married and moved 4.5 hours away...lol. He has gone on to do the 'trip hop' thing and released 3 or 4 CD's. I got credits on a couple but those days are far gone for me now. We still keep in contact but thats about it.

I can respect that completely! Knowing you dont want to is infinitely better than wondering "what if"