The Secret Behind My Scratches Revealed!!!

• warzone (oct 8-12) signup begins in...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
The transition from vinyl to cd's was tough! For me anyway... I think that I will always love the feel of my 1210's over anything else. However, the advantages of running CD decks are by far superior to turntables. No more needle jumps, scratches, dust and digging for rare vinyl copies of popular songs.

In my prime, I got pretty wicked on wax but I'm getting much better on CD decks now (mainly because you can cheat with decks). Lately, I've been trying to cut back on my scratching in a sense of making them more subtle. I've gone from scratching "in ya face" vocals to scratching instruments like horns or guitars into my songs. I've noticed a big difference in the two. Vocals definitely say a lot more in terms of scratching than scratching an instrument does. With an instrument, it's almost like it's just a part of the song without losing the art.

There are some pretty wicked programs out there but they don't even come close to whats possible doing it manually. I use fl's scratcher for some of the basic stuff but once again, for more complicated stuff, nothing beats some good cd decks. In the near future, I plan on setting up a cam so I can videotape and show you guys how much fun I have when I'm on my decks. Scratching is still an artform within itself, after Serato and Torq (which are both awesome programs), manually doing it is still the ish.

Ok, now for my secret... there is no secret. The only thing that I do is record my scratches, then I go back and chop them up just like a sample. That way I can perfect them before I add them in my beats. Very simple! As I get better with cd decks, I'm doing less and less editing of my scratches but you guys get the picture. I'll do 3 or 4 different scratches and then use them where ever I want in my songs. Thats it.

Any Questions?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's a unique way of doing it. My preference is the traditional way with vinyl but I understand that things change and the way you're doing it has its definite advantages too. You should hook up a cam and show us...

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I do the same, and so do many others , even Premier. You have to think as a producer when you incorporate your cuts into a track, nothing wrong with that.

Ok, now for my secret... there is no secret. The only thing that I do is record my scratches, then I go back and chop them up just like a sample. That way I can perfect them before I add them in my beats. Very simple! As I get better with cd decks, I'm doing less and less editing of my scratches but you guys get the picture. I'll do 3 or 4 different scratches and then use them where ever I want in my songs. Thats it.

Any Questions?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Also arent you the one who says I should not get rid of my vinyl ha ha

And I still feel that way, I'm not getting rid of my vinyl as a matter of fact I'm about to acquire about 700-800 more disc - all wax. So much of the original culture is being lost now.

@ Fade - I'm working on that...

@ Ex - Well said...