The Black Album Production Opinions?

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 49
is it just me that is disappointed with the production from the album

2 neptunes tracks = eugh
wasnt feelin that rick rubin track

the others were just ok, i was feeling Lucifer, What More Can I Say and The Public Service Announcement tracks

but that was it

to be honest, i love jay, i think hes so ill but this album is a disappointment

thats just imo though

pz

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
am i da only one feelin dat 'change clothes' trck?

i aint heard dis album but since its jayz's last, i suspect he mus av had a mad line up of producers, aint da production sik?

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
encore, lucifer, my first song, what more can i say and public service announcement were the hottest.

i dont really like that lo fi ish timbaland got going on
the rick ruben one is kool, i like the second verse in that

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
actually afrique, that neptunes track is sort of growing on me

its not the best beat but its 'not bad. catchy and not the usual neptunes rubbish

i forgot about my first song, that beat is the hottes on the album IMO

i cant believe he didnt put the tracks from Dre and DJ Premier

that timbo beat is ehhhhh,9th wonder beat is mediocre - hes made siiiicker beats for little brother, eminem beat is typical eminem beat, average

out of 14 tracks, about 3-4 beats are nice imo

maybe im too picky

but this album lacks one of those raw sampled underground sort of beats that jay is reknowned for creating his amazing stories on

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I thought prem did: "What More Can I Say"

Jay says: "Let's go get em again guru"

Or does that mean guru did the beat?

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
no

the buchnanans did that beat

they are a new production team that jay found

but NO dre and NO premier...disappointing when he had them down in the tentative 12 track listing

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
u late sacred one we been,been knew that dude.lol

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
9th makes all his tracks in fruity...... threat was weak beyond belief. at least, for what he has done in the past, and the song itself sucks too if you ask me...

as far as the albums production, here are my thoughts..

1. intro- good for what it was, just an intro. i liked it.
2. december 4th great track, but can we get rid of the snaps? please? other than that, great track.
3. what more can i say, great beat, much better than the mixtape joint bggie did, although jay jacked yet another biggie line..."so them rings and things you speak about, bring em out/its hard to yell when the barr-els in your mouth" which was on the same song with the same sample on a tony touch album from years ago.
4. encore, right up my alley! love this one, its great, but that stupid cla snare again... very cheap sund for such a lush track. do we need this many click-sounding snares?
5. dirt off your shoulders..... catchy.... thats about it. very underwhelming as it is, and then when you realize that timbaland did it..... sounds bete rsuied for the clipse.
6. change clothes... cheesy, just cheesy. cheesy. very cheesy. thats all i can say.
7. clarity..... more wackness from eminems staff...... this man is a disgrace to the profession. the beat was average and not bad, but by "not bad" it means that it is not bad by soundclick standards, you know? if one of us went to an a&r rep with that we'd get told to come back when we were serious, and if this track was put in an illmuzik battle it would lose easily. sadly, some of jays best lyrics are on this cut. he does make it work..... sort of.
8.threats..... weak, unimajinative. how do you go from gods stepson's beutiful quality and then do this jays last album? and that character in the song is friggin lame.....
9. p.a. announcement... pure heat.... just dope... no complaints at all.
10. lucifer... not my thing but not bad......
11. allure..... i really dig this one. very nice. no complaints. i love the lush strings on it and the contrast with the gun...
12. my first song... dope, dope, dope, no complaints......

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Originally posted by afriquedeluxe
am i da only one feelin dat 'change clothes' trck?

i aint heard dis album but since its jayz's last, i suspect he mus av had a mad line up of producers, aint da production sik?

i agree wit u afrique... im feein that change clothes track... i think its a very nice and classy track... i could see that gettin played like at a fancy nightclub or a resturant ..

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
yeah change clothes is personally one of the better neptunes tracks... although nas ft. kelis - popular thug is in heavy rotation on my cd player at the moment...

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Im fealin most of the production on Black Album, although the Eminem proudced track annoys the shit out of me. I love that 99 Problems song though by Rick Rubin, its sick. lol

T

thumper 7

it's ok though I do only listen to a few tracks... not the finish I was expecting but ...it's not over anyway ...we'll here more from him just not solos...

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by berserk
I thought prem did: "What More Can I Say"

Jay says: "Let's go get em again guru"

Or does that mean guru did the beat?

Thats why I dont download music no more. First I have to guess who the hell produced each track, second the quality is garbage, third the songs aint in the right order how they were meant to be heard. Maybe thats just me tho. I like to train my ears to hear how music is supposed to sound.

Anywayz, what I'm most dissapointed with is the damn quality of the album. The engineering, actually probably the mastering job is wack. Everything is EQ'd weird and compressed way too much. Plus they clipped the album on purpose and it sounds shitty to me. I'm not feelin the quality at all.

As far as flows, nobody can deny Jay was doin his thing on this album. Flows are bananaz.

As far as beats, I thought there were some nice tracks on that joint. The worst is definetly Take off your clothes. That shit is average at best. The chord progression is boring and the drums aint nothin special. Its just weak period. I like the second neptunes track a lot more. Timbo's doing a lot of lo-fi stuff lately, I got his album too and its a new trend for him. Basically rolling off the hi-frequencies. The track on Jay's album is hot to me. To be real, I wasnt that impressed with a lot of the production on that album, I thought it was good no doubt, but I didnt think there was that many heaters on there. Its a good solid album as far as production goes, not the best, but good. The flows make up for a lot tho.

Just my $0.02

G

Gaz

1 of them neptunes beats was fire, i was disapointed with kanye's beats to be honest, hes 1 of my fave producers right now an was expecting some heat (maybe them beats was heat to you but not me)

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I dont think Kanye brought his A game either. They were solid beats but nothin to brag about. Just your average dramatic 70's sample loop. Nothin too special.