"Sunset" Chill Beat. Feedback appreciated.

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
This sounds really good. But there is one thing. There is something wonky in the sub bass. first appears at :11. It sounds off pitch and throws off the whole low end feel. But other than that it sounds pretty good. I really love the sound selection and vocals. Also the switch ups are really excellent. Very creative arrangement as well. Excellent job man!

Phenri

Master Beater
This sounds really good. But there is one thing. There is something wonky in the sub bass. first appears at :11. It sounds off pitch and throws off the whole low end feel. But other than that it sounds pretty good. I really love the sound selection and vocals. Also the switch ups are really excellent. Very creative arrangement as well. Excellent job man!
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like it. I think I know what you're referring to with the whole wonky bass thing. Is it where the male vocal clip comes in? I think that's the culprit, unless I'm hearing something different. I might be able to fade it in or clip it to make it sound better. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm still getting used to learning how to catch the subtle details.

MichaelsLife

Created for a purpose
Battle Points: 5
Well done bro. I would say there's a bit much going on in certain parts. Sometimes it's better to choose a couple of melodies and support those with stacked instruments. The outro is a good example of a nice even flow of sounds, which would allow the vocalist to be the main melody, unless of course this beat is just for listening to as is.
That switch up was on point! The drums could use a bit more punch though. A clipper vst effect works really well for that. Overall very well done (y)

Hi @Phenri , few words from me about your beat. First thing that comes to my mind when I'm listening to it is that it's very progressive. As it was already mentioned in previous posts some parts are a bit too cluttered with sounds. There's too many things playing at the same time. But here comes the question whether you had an artist in mind when you were making it or not. If it was meant to be a beat for artist, then I would say you overdid it as I can't possibly imagine anyone singing over it let alone rapping over it. There isn't any space for artist. If it wasn't meant to be something for a rapper, then I would say it's nice to listen to but even then, there are too many sounds in some sections. As I mentioned, the beat is very progressive and that's in one way good, because I haven't heard many productions of this type, but you have to be careful when you make this kind of stuff. It's good that you try to tell us complex story, but it would be much better in my opinion if you just focused on three maybe four topics/characters or stories that make your story, instead of ten. :D

Mixwise, I'm not a fan of that bass that was already mentioned, but overall, your mixing skills are good I'd say. Especially that saxophone/trumpet that appears for the first time around 0:41 sounds great and very live. I don't if it's a sample or whether you played it yourself, but you did tremendous job with it as brass instruments are the most difficult both to mix and to make them sound like a human. Concluding, interesting music and you're definitely showed that you have something more to offer than copying the same patterns as most "producers" nowadays, but I think you need to work on your formula. :D Looking forward to hear more of your music. :)

Phenri

Master Beater
Hi @Phenri , few words from me about your beat. First thing that comes to my mind when I'm listening to it is that it's very progressive. As it was already mentioned in previous posts some parts are a bit too cluttered with sounds. There's too many things playing at the same time. But here comes the question whether you had an artist in mind when you were making it or not. If it was meant to be a beat for artist, then I would say you overdid it as I can't possibly imagine anyone singing over it let alone rapping over it. There isn't any space for artist. If it wasn't meant to be something for a rapper, then I would say it's nice to listen to but even then, there are too many sounds in some sections. As I mentioned, the beat is very progressive and that's in one way good, because I haven't heard many productions of this type, but you have to be careful when you make this kind of stuff. It's good that you try to tell us complex story, but it would be much better in my opinion if you just focused on three maybe four topics/characters or stories that make your story, instead of ten. :D

Mixwise, I'm not a fan of that bass that was already mentioned, but overall, your mixing skills are good I'd say. Especially that saxophone/trumpet that appears for the first time around 0:41 sounds great and very live. I don't if it's a sample or whether you played it yourself, but you did tremendous job with it as brass instruments are the most difficult both to mix and to make them sound like a human. Concluding, interesting music and you're definitely showed that you have something more to offer than copying the same patterns as most "producers" nowadays, but I think you need to work on your formula. :D Looking forward to hear more of your music. :)
This is the most detailed review I've received so far. Thanks for the input! I think my biggest mistake is forgetting that I'm writing an instrumental and trying to give the ear a lot of stuff to listen to. I'll try to pay more attention to that in the future. Thanks again!

members online