Speakers and Headphones

Ghostnote

Producer
Battle Points: 52
Hey guys:)

I just got into beatmaking and currently using the philips spa7380 2.1 speakers and Logitech g430 headphones for mixing(links below).
Would you recommend buying studio monitors and better headphones or are these gears enough for a beginner like me ?

thx for helping

GhostChamberz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 128
Nothing you need to upgrade straight away, but it is definitely important to upgrade when you get more into mixing.
Other things also come into account and that is room acoustics. Its like my main problem. I have dope Genelec Monitors but the room i am mixing in acoustically is not the best. I usually make beats late at night also so a good pair of headphones is essential to me.
Have you played back your beats on different systems to hear how your beats actually translate to other systems?

GhostChamberz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yes, I think most likely because the speakers and headphones you are making beats on do not give you a Flat Frequency response and is not giving you a true representation of what is actually happening frequency wise in your mix. There are things u need to consider also when mixing and wanna make kickdrums more present on Laptop speakers. Usually you would have to try to raise a small notch at 700 hz to hear kickdrums better on those kinda speakers cause they dont have that 50hz ummmf. Try raise 2 db at 700hz and see if your kicks knock more on your laptop. Again the issues you are having is definitely because you dont have proper monitors. If you cant afford monitors at the moment i would maybe suggest a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro Headphones until you can get a set of monitors.

GhostChamberz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yea same here man. I usually make beats with my headphones then i will go through it the next day and tweak the mix through the monitors. What i really like about the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros are that they sound similar to my Genelecs

BezO

The Artisan
Also try using references. Find a few songs similar to what you're aiming for and add them to your check list.