Southern Music (Don't hate, just statin an opinon)

K

KrackaMack

I think southern music is dying. I think the whole crunk movement was working for a while, but now all this club crunk snap shit is just empty music. It's the same thing over every song, hi hat, little bass, and snap. Every chorus has the phrase "do it" or "lean" in it. Maybe i'm biased because I don't dance, but I think the creativity is steadily dying. H-Town music is getting a lot more original but still stays with the whole "candy paint & grillz' formula.
I dunno, i'm just kinda ranting, but unless the south finds more topics to rap on and lil jon stops using that damn synth, we're gonna fall off...and fast
Think about it, there's only a handfull of actual lyricists from the south. Ludacris, Outkast, TI, Weezy, BG, and Chamillionaire. If there's anymore please feel free to add to the list but I think the southern music was, sadly, just a fad in rap...

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
the only people i fuck with are outkast and i like some..... of ludacris shit. but good, all i can say is good, i am tired of hearing about rims, bitches and money, and it all sounds the same too me, just my opinion. i mean there is shit like this everywhere not just the south, and it is destroying hip hop, i want that raw shit again, like the early 90's, and barely any of them have any talant at all, so for them to make a serious rhyme, all i have to say is, hahahahahahahahahaha, lol

ill o.g.
I think its just a case of an area having their success cycle

if u think about it hip hop tends to transition from one area to another

New York to Cali to New York to Virginia to The South to St. Louis to Texas to probably coming back to New York like it always does cuz thats the birthplace

not to mention these record labels raping the culture and suggesting artists make something that sounds like whatever is poppin at the time (biting)=forbidden

and like everything else thats overdone it gets PLAYED OUT

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
crunk music is southern music, so what you said makes no sense

crunk originated in the south. and who cares if people make money by snaps and hi hats. Do your own thing and everybody stop bitchin! Make your OWN style of production. Dont try and revert back to the old days, or try and be like everyone else, just make what sounds good to you. Only us production cats can save the face of hip hop, personally aside from some of that Franchise and D4l shit I think rap/hip hop/crunk shit is pretty tight now. Ive also been noticing the quality of the new r&b thats comin out. I like new music, innovation is a must in hip hop and rap music as well as r&b

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
If you think crunk = southern hip hop, then yall obviously dont know much about southern hip hop.... It was around before crunk and will be around long after crunk....

Well said

Benny BuKu

BAD NEWS
ill o.g.
It always comes back to NY. A few of the acts will survive it though, and Outkast (Dungeoun Fam) will be one of em. But eventually it all comes back to New York. This happened in the early 90's wit Cali. Dre and Snoop and fam survived it. But Wu-Tang, Nas and BIG brought it back....and low and behold....Ghostface and Raekwon are droppin albums again....hot albums at that...Nas is comin out soon too....looks like history will be repeating itself. Not a moment too soon if you ask me.

Papadukes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
there's alot of good southern music out there but you just gotta make that extra effort nowdays, cause i think what's being pushed by record labels is that in club bounce, and also rappers are gonna follow trends because you know for alot of them its about makin that doller first. I just because the south is gettin spotlight, it means that some decent people might get more help tryin to come up.
also with shit like snap music, i can't see how it can evolve, and if thats the case then its just gonna end up like miami bass (luke and 2 live crew) and all that.

SketchUp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Elementree said:
crunk originated in the south. and who cares if people make money by snaps and hi hats. Do your own thing and everybody stop bitchin! Make your OWN style of production. Dont try and revert back to the old days, or try and be like everyone else, just make what sounds good to you. Only us production cats can save the face of hip hop, personally aside from some of that Franchise and D4l shit I think rap/hip hop/crunk shit is pretty tight now. Ive also been noticing the quality of the new r&b thats comin out. I like new music, innovation is a must in hip hop and rap music as well as r&b

Thats exactly it, whatever shit you make, if people love it or hate it, just get on wit it...

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Excluding the fad snap ish, but worthy southern lyricists:
Scarface
Devin the Dude
UGK
D.O.C. (pre car crash)
Big Pokey
Young Bleed

Funny story,
Was at my boyz house the other day and the franchize boyz video came on and he's like man I love it when he catches his foot... I'm saying to myself WTF?!?!?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I've BEEN tired of flashy cashy music.
I dont think its gonna die or anything(crunk) and southern music is NOT all crunk music.
I highly recommend that everyone go to Atl and catch a Luda show or TI at the Georgia Dome.
Atlanta is much like NYC but in the south so folks are friendlier.
Atlanta supports their hometown groups like nothing I have ever seen.
Its beautiful and amazing.
Even if we would call it garbage these cats ALL rock with it because its THEIRS.
I thought the top balcony of the Georgia dome was gonna collapse because everybody was bouncin all at the same time.
I dont care if I blew up tomorrow and went 500 platinum my city will NEVER represent like that I dont think.
So if the rest of the world starts hating crunk today and rips it off the radio ATL will still bump the crap out of it.
Yall should go and check it out.

ill o.g.
the most popular hip hop if thats what u want to call it in the south is that CRUNK or SNAP shit lately

all it does is perpetuate the stereotype of Southern people being perceived as SLOW

cuz those types of music have no type of intellectualism in them at all

shake ya ass, drop to the floor, what what what, beat this beat that,

beat they ass in the head for sayin all that dumb shit

ill o.g.
Relic said:
I've BEEN tired of flashy cashy music.
I dont think its gonna die or anything(crunk) and southern music is NOT all crunk music.
I highly recommend that everyone go to Atl and catch a Luda show or TI at the Georgia Dome.
Atlanta is much like NYC but in the south so folks are friendlier.
Atlanta supports their hometown groups like nothing I have ever seen.
Its beautiful and amazing.
Even if we would call it garbage these cats ALL rock with it because its THEIRS.
I thought the top balcony of the Georgia dome was gonna collapse because everybody was bouncin all at the same time.
I dont care if I blew up tomorrow and went 500 platinum my city will NEVER represent like that I dont think.
So if the rest of the world starts hating crunk today and rips it off the radio ATL will still bump the crap out of it.
Yall should go and check it out.

thats the same way Go-Go is in the DC/Maryland area

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Elementree said:
crunk music is southern music, so what you said makes no sense

No, ur dead wrong, crunk music is just one aspect of southern music. Just like punk rock is one small aspect of rock &roll

Crunk music is more of an ATL thing then a "southern" thing, in florida we like our music fast,in lousina, they like that bounce....etc.. etc..

so yea, what i said does make sense if u know the history of southern hip hop

B

Burna

classic said:
No, ur dead wrong, crunk music is just one aspect of southern music. Just like punk rock is one small aspect of rock &roll

Crunk music is more of an ATL thing then a "southern" thing, in florida we like our music fast,in lousina, they like that bounce....etc.. etc..

well put, southern and crunk are in the same genre of rap, but each part of the south has its own style of beats so to speak, I only say this i was born in TX, and rasied in AL. I always use to study the 'styles' of the beats in the south, and as I said each and every beat has a diffrent style. As Classic said, "Crunk" is more of an ATL Vibe per say. The whole "Club" bounce type thing originated from the south, as for the fast rappers(some not all).

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
classic said:

your right it is an aspect. sorry for takin shots. I know what you mean by "Southern HIP HOP" now. two totally diff. things

O

open mind

well fo me its like dat I DONT GIVE A SHIT where music comes from or what music is from or WHAT STYLE OF MUSIC.there is good music out there and bad music to my personal ear.and thats it ! okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay? YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaH!

man that outkast ATliens album was the bomb i smoked my first shit hearing that "babylon" track from that album.i will play that shit now to remember those good dayz because for now i finished smoking tha bong and all the blunds.