Soundfont vs. Vst?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I like soundfonts

VST have a sythetic nature and if you are trying to achieve a more realistic sound closer to analog a soundfont is the better choice, also remember that a soundfont in essence is a sample its just been converted, so you can use real basses, instruments, strings etc not synthesized and there is a huge difference if you compare each one to one and if the sound that was sampled is of a high quality, but there are sounds like organs etc that in the first place in a lot cases are from a synth you might find the vst a better choice, or if you want some wierd organic sounds the vst again.

breal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This is not really a good question since some vsti plugins use
soundfonts too.

Vsti is not just synths.They can be samplers,add effects.
vst plugin like The Grand will sound better then any soundfont

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
breal said:
This is not really a good question since some vsti plugins use
soundfonts too.

Vsti is not just synths.They can be samplers,add effects.
vst plugin like The Grand will sound better then any soundfont

This is absolutely true, however the grand is based on samples (lots of them from and actual piano) rolled into a vsti, also I think the entire thing is on like 2 or 3 DVDs if its the same one I am thinking of, but yes VST can be a sampler also so maybe the question should be is a soundfont better than a vst instrument?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Soundfonts dont emulate, piano's dont synthesize by formant synthesis...just 2 different things although a piano sample can be treated as if it was a synth. The main difference is VCO/DCO vs. sample so it really depends what kinda sound you trying to use.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
A vst emulates anything audio or visual related, I in vsti means instruments so a vst is an effect ( dynamic or not ). A soundfont is like a wav file, a format used a few years back with soundcards ( terratec i.e. ) that could store soundfonts on the card ram ( making it a rompler on your soundcard, just like pcm formats on roland modules or roms in emu rack romplers ). Its a bit outdated unless you still work with a tool that uses soundfonts in general.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
that's what I said, 2 different things.

My question to you is why would you work with soundfonts instead of wave files ?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
^ prolly cuz the samples of a soundfont are already mapped across the keys

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well, all I know is that I'd use my rhodes soundfont I downloaded from the internet before the rhodes on sampletank all day nigga.

some soundfonts seem to have a thicker sound sometimes. although you could just eq a vst wave file.

and what's with that wave file stuff formant? My drums are ussually waves but do people use waves when they're producing melodic intstruments

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
A Soundfont is a compilation of wav that are mapped across the chromatic scale (the keyboard)...

if you take a normal wav file and use it in a program like FL Studio, different notes are produced by changing the speed the actual wav file is played, the faster it plays, the higher the pitch... when you stretch a sound, at a certain point, it sounds artificial and you loose the feel of the sound of the real instrument.

For a soundfont (for a good soundfont) they record different notes of the actual sound of the soundfont (a piano, a Rhode, a 404...or whatever sound...) ...and map those sounds. That means that, when you play a C5, there is a wav file that is played that is different than the one played when you play a C4 or a D7. That way, it sounds more natural...

mmmmh, reading this, I guess I'm not as clear as I'd like... english is my 2nd language...

(You can actually do a soundfont yourself with a program called Vienna)

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
sYgMa said:
For a soundfont (for a good soundfont) they record different notes of the actual sound of the soundfont (a piano, a Rhode, a 404...or whatever sound...) ...and map those sounds. That means that, when you play a C5, there is a wav file that is played that is different than the one played when you play a C4 or a D7. That way, it sounds more natural...

)

Using the "FL keyboard" and a real midi keyboard is 2 differents things..

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
You've been clear dude, reason I asked is perhaps there is a benefit to using them of which I hadnt been aware..still learing hehe

Right, so its a multisample...I never used them on the terratec, I've always been working with wav as it the best file format around and pretty used by any program and I dont mind samplism at all. Soundfonts were smaller but also limited to resolution and not as adaptable as compared to wav files.

In fl there is the new sampler which can strip a vst instrument in the same way, its a breeze to do it.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Producer_GyaL said:

....huh?

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I use a VST plugin (EXSP24) to get access to my library of Soundfonts.

For acoustic sounds, It's always soundfonts. For synths and electric pianos, always VSTi's.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Producer_GyaL said:

?

what do u mean, the 'fl typing keyboard' can still utilize the mapped out sounds of a soundfont intended for a midi controller.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
i chose soundfont because it takes less processing power. in theory anyway