So what is to be Hip Hop?

• warzone (oct 8-12) signup begins in...
So hip hop is a way of life?
Ive been having my doubts about this whole hip hop culture thing, Im starting to believe it doesnt really exist.
Being a fan of hip hop music doesnt necessarily mean you ARE hip hop.
It means you like the music or rhymes or maybe both.
Im starting to think that I bought into something that isnt even real, just something made up to try and create a hip hop community, that IMO hasnt really happened.
Getting people to buy into a genre of music just like grunge, rock, emo etc etc.
I think it was just a way to popularise a niche and get people into paying for not only just the music but also the clothing lines and other merchandise.
Id like your opinions on this, maybe Im wrong, but to me, modern mainstream hip hop has turned the hip hop I grew up on and bought into, onto its head. Everything is arse about face, I dont see much bling or designer clothing in the "hoods", so can it be considered hip hop.
To me being hip hop is about speaking out about the injustice of our governments, and trying to give a voice to the voiceless (the bottom of society) as well as a means to go out and have a good time to some really banging beats.

Please can someone define what being hip hop is?
Id like to hear your opinions on this. Thanks.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I have no idea, all I know is that I like the music. I have no hip-hop related posters, gear or anything identifiable as such (besides my record collection, which is hidden). I think hip-hop may in fact be different for everybody. I love the music, the lyrics, the beats, but I don't go out of my way to express my love of it and its message. I might sport the occasional hoody, and am fond of Timberland boots, but I can't say I'm hip-hop, I'm a pasty white boy from Canada.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
1st I cant allow todays music to BE hiphop. Hip hop inspired? yes. Hip Hop elements? Yes. But it isnt cultural hiphop. Its R&B and mainstream rap is now labeled "Urban" or "Urban Pop".

2nd. Hip Hop is in the streets and hearts of those that respect the beginnings and support/practice all the elements still. It hung around in the 90's, got pimped out, now its home, underground, detoxing and getting its strength up. The difference? The pimps are dieing from not taking care of the hoes...that they created (Ironically). The power is in each of us that believe and know what hip hop is. The responsibility is OURS now. The people we grew up on were cohorts to the ones that destroyed it. Fuck them. We are the future and the now. All the tools, resources, and knowledge is a search away. A download away. A click away. Its never too late to claim your spot in our culture. Scratch that, it will be if the next generation does the innovation we are meant to do.

LMAO @ Pug.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I'm not sure, but it appears to me that you feel in love with mainstream hip hop and when it feel apart, so did your expectations. IMO, hip hop was never meant to go mainstream. It was the story of urban streets but a few smart cats saw how much potential it had to be profitable and introduced hip hop to the world, at that point, it became a new entity. Mainstream hip hop was very clear, it was when the world watched, then the world got involved, then they dictated what they wanted hip hop to be, then they walked away and moved on. Now hip hop is back to what it was from day 1, the voice of the streets.

What is Hip Hop? Hip hop is that little kid that can't afford designer clothes but puts a twist on his clothes to make them appear better. Hip Hop is that dude with the cool voice and the ability to rhyme while spitting his own flava. Hip Hop is that mother who can't afford to buy a drum set so she gives her child 2 spoons and a old pot to bang on.

The only thing that changed is the world has gotten all that it can from hip hop, and thats not enough anymore so the world is looking for it's next endeavor, while hip hop is returning back to what it originally was.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Agreed Dac

"Hip Hop, and you dont stop"

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
funny thing is...when I opened this thread, the only post was the original post by 2Good yet you and I basically said the exact same thing. Thats hip hop!

I'm not sure, but it appears to me that you feel in love with mainstream hip hop and when it feel apart, so did your expectations. IMO, hip hop was never meant to go mainstream. It was the story of urban streets but a few smart cats saw how much potential it had to be profitable and introduced hip hop to the world, at that point, it became a new entity. Mainstream hip hop was very clear, it was when the world watched, then the world got involved, then they dictated what they wanted hip hop to be, then they walked away and moved on. Now hip hop is back to what it was from day 1, the voice of the streets.

What is Hip Hop? Hip hop is that little kid that can't afford designer clothes but puts a twist on his clothes to make them appear better. Hip Hop is that dude with the cool voice and the ability to rhyme while spitting his own flava. Hip Hop is that mother who can't afford to buy a drum set so she gives her child 2 spoons and a old pot to bang on.

The only thing that changed is the world has gotten all that it can from hip hop, and thats not enough anymore so the world is looking for it's next endeavor, while hip hop is returning back to what it originally was.

I agree that this is what hip hop is meant to be, but it is not what its become.
The reason I say this is because there are a lot of kids out there that claim hip hop, but dont even know what it really is. I mean how much turntablism do you hear anymore?
Graffiti will never get the proper respect it deserves as an artform, and emcees can spit any boring drivel as long as
1} They are wearing skinny jeans halfway down their backsides
2} Talk about banging them hoes
3} Talk about selling drugs on the hard streets
4} Talk about the 24 Inch rims on whatever car they claim to drive.

And thats considered swag.
If you got swag you dont need talent.
But heres my problem, Im from the days of "No Biting" as a rule of thumb.
Everything above has nothing to do with being fly or fresh, its all about following and mimicking the crowd and trying to fit into the latest bandwagon.
Thats why I say its all arse backwards.

So from the point of view of hip hop originality....
Can there possibly be anything fresh to come out, or is hip hop played out?
Can there be any more originality?
I have heard dj's saying thats why turntablism died out, because everything that could be done had been done.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Yeah, there can and will ALWAYS be originality in hip hop in my opinion. I know plenty of undergrounds cats who are completely original, blending all their influences with a unique flavor of their own, thus forming their own style. This is exactly how every past great artist has evolved from their forefather influences, which can even lead to new genres of music. Originality definitely isn't near as important as it once was, but to purists like myself, I always tell myself "why listen to this dude who is trying to sound like ___, when I could just listen to ___ instead, who does that exact style better than anyone else could try to (because its 100% original). To make up something that is completely brand new is pretty difficult nowadays, but you got to take into consideration the possible types of combinations of all previous types of styles is pretty much infinite. Everyone has their own personality, so that can always reflect in the music they make.

As far as buying into hip hop as a lifestyle, I know exactly what you mean (about where its gone, how it used to be, etc). All I know though concerning myself is that I'm part of something I love, music wise, and I could care less about living a select "lifestyle" that others have created. All I know is I live my life exactly how I choose to live it, and there is really no need to define everything. Thats all it comes down to, just definitions people have created to categorize things. Why let definitions dictate how YOU live?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I agree that this is what hip hop is meant to be, but it is not what its become.

This is a result of mainstream interaction.

The reason I say this is because there are a lot of kids out there that claim hip hop, but dont even know what it really is. I mean how much turntablism do you hear anymore?
Graffiti will never get the proper respect it deserves as an artform, and emcees can spit any boring drivel as long as
1} They are wearing skinny jeans halfway down their backsides
2} Talk about banging them hoes
3} Talk about selling drugs on the hard streets
4} Talk about the 24 Inch rims on whatever car they claim to drive.

And thats considered swag.
If you got swag you dont need talent.

These are the rules and demands of mainstream if hip hop is to live under the mainstream tent.

But heres my problem, Im from the days of "No Biting" as a rule of thumb.
Everything above has nothing to do with being fly or fresh, its all about following and mimicking the crowd and trying to fit into the latest bandwagon.
Thats why I say its all arse backwards.

RULES
Mainstream hip hop is all about doing what sells...if biting Kanye West sells, by all means BITE!

Mainstream says...The only way for you to be fly or fresh is to wear what I tell you, I am the trend setter and either you're IN or you're OUT!

So from the point of view of hip hop originality....
Can there possibly be anything fresh to come out, or is hip hop played out?
Can there be any more originality?
I have heard dj's saying thats why turntablism died out, because everything that could be done had been done.

This is a result of what happens after mainstream says "ok we've made our money, you can have hip hop back now". The true face of hip hop has NEVER changed from day 1. It was dressed up here and there, it was given a facelift in other areas and it was capitalized on from a marketing point of view. Now that the LIMELIGHT is no longer shining on hip hop, her face is gradually fading back to it's original face. Thats what you are experiencing right now. The "Glory days" of hip hop are gone so to speak, now it's time for everybody caught up in the mix to remember what hip hop was before the glamour. Some will remember and keep the true hip hop alive, others will forget and wait for the next BIG TREND. Hip Hop was a passion to make a light in the dark when all else looked hopeless. Exactly what you're feeling right now.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
So hip hop is a way of life?
Ive been having my doubts about this whole hip hop culture thing, Im starting to believe it doesnt really exist.
Being a fan of hip hop music doesnt necessarily mean you ARE hip hop.
It means you like the music or rhymes or maybe both.
Im starting to think that I bought into something that isnt even real, just something made up to try and create a hip hop community, that IMO hasnt really happened.
Getting people to buy into a genre of music just like grunge, rock, emo etc etc.
I think it was just a way to popularise a niche and get people into paying for not only just the music but also the clothing lines and other merchandise.
Id like your opinions on this, maybe Im wrong, but to me, modern mainstream hip hop has turned the hip hop I grew up on and bought into, onto its head. Everything is arse about face, I dont see much bling or designer clothing in the "hoods", so can it be considered hip hop.
To me being hip hop is about speaking out about the injustice of our governments, and trying to give a voice to the voiceless (the bottom of society) as well as a means to go out and have a good time to some really banging beats.

Please can someone define what being hip hop is?
Id like to hear your opinions on this. Thanks.

Uh dude I just finished reading your OP..

lol, you must be going through some shit cuz I never question what it is.

When I got into hiphop my very next experience after elation was racism, which then took me on a VERY serious journey which was shared by millions to say "FUCK THAT" and take part in a cultural revolution spearheaded by dope ass music to try and change minds and educate people.
Now I know that it is all very dumbed down now , but I seriously feel that there is about to be a resurgence of real and underground GOOD hiphop.
Hell you need the RAW NATURE LP , because you will at least smile when you hear it.
All music changes, rock aint Chuck Berry in fact it isnt even the blues it stemmed from .
Part of what has made it possible for any of us older heads to have studios in our cribs sorta helped destroy what we were trying to do because it literally cheapened everything lol. You had kids makin what we call garbage but they like it in that generation.. I dont buy into the whole "Industry " controls "everything" as you can find some good underground sound still.
Whether I make money or not this is who I am.

But someone owes me some money...

BTW if you were BORN in the 90's get the new Midas FREE DL, and buy RAW NATURE's new LP as this is the way that it(hiphop) is supposed to be.
Some young dudes get back to the essence please.

2good your part of the hiphop pillars , at leats around here and you dont realize who you influence, so stand strong during the earthquake.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Okay 2Good, you have forced me to take this route with you...

The Red pill is Hip Hop... The Blue Pill is a false reality!

lol

Okay 2Good, you have forced me to take this route with you...

The Red pill is Hip Hop... The Blue Pill is a false reality!

lol

LMAO.

And Relic, this was more a hypothetical question, I know full well what hip hop was/is meant to be. But I dont see it being like that anymore, its like the cornerstones of hip hop have crumbled away, so what holds hip hop up now.
I would have liked to hear from some of the newer hip hop heads and get their take on it. I already knew that most of the participating memebers here are hardcore hip hop heads, many have educated me to things I didnt know along the way, especially on how to make beats bang.
I used to be religiously into hip hop, it resonated within me, but now nothing new I hear makes me feel that way. Sometimes I think that my tunnel vision and focusing on my own music has made me drop the ball a little and lose touch with hip hop, but then everytime I get new stuff from some of my favorites Im usually very disappointed.
Im at a stage now that Im starting to question whether what I bought into was EVER what it was portrayed as.
This is personal opinion so I dont want Jay Z fanboys jumping up to attack me, but how did Jay Z ever become the Superstar he is today, his whole career is based on following trends and being a mainstream artist(sellout), but yet hes at the top of hip hop right now?
I played my Sadat X remixes to some people and they said hes an old man and should stop rapping, but then the same people are hanging from Jay Z's nutsack?!?
I just dont get it. And how did hip hop get infiltrated by so many fags that its become accepted, call me homophobic or to get with the times but FUCK THAT, Im oldskool.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Jay-Z is at the top of pop rap/urban. Like I said, you gotta differentiate the two. Jay, was also a survivor of a generation, that capitalized on a clear path to the top.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
But I dont see it being like that anymore, its like the cornerstones of hip hop have crumbled away, so what holds hip hop up now.

If you feel that hip hop has lost something, then once again, I think that you had your eyes on the wrong hip hop because it hasn't. It's returning to what is was before the glamour. We hold hip hop up now, the true heads who never lost the true face of hip hop.

Im starting to question whether what I bought into was EVER what it was portrayed as.

Same thing...if you bought into the re-constructed hip hop, then you bought into what others said hip hop "should be", you didn't buy into the real hip hop.

This is personal opinion so I dont want Jay Z fanboys jumping up to attack me, but how did Jay Z ever become the Superstar he is today, his whole career is based on following trends and being a mainstream artist(sellout), but yet hes at the top of hip hop right now?

We talked about this in the "staying relevant" thread. Jay Z is playing the game to it's fullest. Not only has he capitalized and endured the mainstreams rules, but he has kept the persona of "keeping it real with hip hop and being true to the game".

I played my Sadat X remixes to some people and they said hes an old man and should stop rapping, but then the same people are hanging from Jay Z's nutsack?!?

Once again, it's the persona/relevancy thing in full effect here. A lot cats don't give Sadat credit nor do they know that Sadat is very relevant behind the scenes. IMO, Sadat has made more of an influence than Puba yet Puba is the one everybody thinks of when the Brand Nubian name is mentioned.

I just dont get it. And how did hip hop get infiltrated by so many fags that its become accepted, call me homophobic or to get with the times but FUCK THAT, Im oldskool.

I've been wanting to open a thread about this for soooo long but as you know there are some sensitive thugs on illmuzik who WILL be offended if "certain" people say certain things....lol. So, to keep the peace, I decided not to bring this up. Modern day society says it's OK for things to be accepted that we NEVER would have accepted only a few years ago. "We are smarter than that nowadays", "We're smarter as a human race nowadays", hell, we can even say that we're so fugging smart nowadays that we have to "dumb it down" for those of you who aren't on my level...KMMFA! If you think this way, you have been fooled! nuff said...smh

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Slightly OT

My Opinion:
I doubt the number of gays (ratio wise) have risen at all. Society has changed to allow them to be who they want to be. I'm sure you know some gay people that you wouldnt know they're gay. Hip Hop, ironically is FULL of them. I dont have a prob with it. I did, but then I realised they arent living how they want. They couldnt express themselves. I may not need to see it, but how Hip Hop is it to sensor someone expressing themselves? Thats when I got over it. Another persons actions dont affect me, if it does? its a weakness in my heart, something I need to fix. MO. and I'm out.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I dont think oneself decides he's "hiphop", other wil be the judge of it. And you'll be judged upon what you do (pointing to the elements of hiphop), imo clothes/image isnt a factor but if do grafitti, mc'ing, dj'ing, breaking, beatboxing or beatcreating then regardless what you look like... you're "hiphop" in my book. If fashion is your thing...awesome except thats not an element of hiphop.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
To some degree it is...Hip Hop is a lifestyle and everything involved but not limited to. Hip hop is not the name on the clothes, its how you rock whatever you wear. It's not walking, it's how you walk, it's not speaking, it's how you talk.

Now here's where it gets tricky...wearing your pants half way down your arse doesn't make you hip hop...nor does wearing them the right way make you NOT. So Hip hop is a mentality more than anything. We have visual images of what hip hop is but what it really is.....is a state of mind and a way of life.