Showcase SHOWCASE: September 29 - October 6, 2024

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 11
@Memento Beats

I like the synth intro. It's crazy how much dynamics you can add to a song just by opening and closing a filter. Sounds like you layered the intro synth during the verse which adds a lot weight. The start and stop would definitely sound good with someone rapping over it. Trap drums and 808s drums are really not my thing, but I think it fits the style and the genre you were going for - there are cool variations and ratchets.

The only critique would be, it sounds a bit too repetitive. With quickly moving lead lines sometimes less is more. I think that's what you were trying to go for with the second verse.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Here's another beat I started on the MPC 1000. Started with getting a simple drum groove going then sampled little lines in using Kontakt instruments. This (as the date suggests) took me a while to get to a point I was happy with, particularly:
  • Drums
    • Original snares didn't have enough crack
    • Kicks - I still feel like punchier, weightier kicks would serve this track better
  • Horns
    • First horn line was repeating too much and became a bit too annoying. But, I needed something to fill space and work as a "melody"
  • Bass
    • Getting the bass guitar and sub bass balanced took some time with several revisits. Also, getting just the right amount of Side-chain compression was a exercise in trial-and-error and patience lol
  • Piano
    • This was the solution to the overly repetitive horns. I used the piano line as a call-and-response to add a bit more variety and melodic content. I was trying to go for a Havoc/Mobb Deep type of piano line.
I brought everything back into Logic for final arrangement and mix. I tried a couple new things in the mix and would be interested to hear feedback on the mix specifically.

Otherwise I do like the dark and gritty feel. Would love to hear some feedback and critiques!

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Here's another beat I started on the MPC 1000. Started with getting a simple drum groove going then sampled little lines in using Kontakt instruments. This (as the date suggests) took me a while to get to a point I was happy with, particularly:
  • Drums
    • Kicks - I still feel like punchier, weightier kicks would serve this track better
  • Horns
    • First horn line was repeating too much and became a bit too annoying. But, I needed something to fill space and work as a "melody"
  • Bass
    • Getting the bass guitar and sub bass balanced took some time with several revisits. Also, getting just the right amount of Side-chain compression was a exercise in trial-and-error and patience lol
  • Piano
    • This was the solution to the overly repetitive horns. I used the piano line as a call-and-response to add a bit more variety and melodic content. I was trying to go for a Havoc/Mobb Deep type of piano line.
I brought everything back into Logic for final arrangement and mix. I tried a couple new things in the mix and would be interested to hear feedback on the mix specifically.

Otherwise I do like the dark and gritty feel. Would love to hear some feedback and critiques!

Very clean mix. Digging the snares with that slight reverb.

Battle Points: 43
This ones heavy: Old project. Dark beat. Tell me what you guys think.
Didn't do the mastering myself. But i kinda have the weird thing if i master my beat it always comes out louder than these automatic master AI's of soundcloud or any web..
Dope beat... Cool intro, the beat switches were done real nice too. Everything flows flawlessly. Overall it has an original sound that I really like. Good work!

Livewire is really a track that takes you back in time like good memory's and Havoc is that type of beat you would hear between tracks on a album. Both dope production i like havoc i getted what you where trying to do. Havoc is more the type to get a good rap on it.
Thank You So Much GIF by MultiversX
Glad u enjoyed them

Last edited:

BiggChev

ILLIEN
@TjombaBeats

First impressions - I like the dark/creepy vibe. The industrial type drums really suit the track. The slight asymmetry and groove was well done. In fact, the over all sound selection is very cohesive and work together to creating and elevating that dark aesthetic. That grainy synth with the portamento that comes in at 1:21 is very cool. I really like the back half of this beat with that dub style synth.

There's a lot of intricate interweaving of multiple lines that gives the beat a lot of texture and movement. Unique, mixed well, and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

@Fyyn3stSymphoni

Livewire:

The melodic elements of this track are great. Serene, sweet, and delicate. While I don't typically care for trap style drums, I think the juxtaposition of the drums against the saccharine nature of the melody creates something very interesting to listen to. The mix needs work however. It's a bit too quiet and a strategic static mix would certainly help to balance all the elements. I like this beat!

Havoc:

Great sample choice! Sounds like there is some sort of harp/guitar arpeggio going on in the background. Works well to create atmosphere, but I think I'm hearing some dissonance. Sound selection is good - there's just a bit too much harmonic clashing in other areas. The arrangement is good as it builds and fades eliciting emotion. A skilled vocalist could really use those dynamic cues to make a great tune. Again, the mix takes away from the finished product. Otherwise, there are some cool things going on here.

• Drums
  • Horns
  • Bass
  • Piano

Last edited:
  • Drums
  • Horns
  • Bass
  • Piano

Nice beat. It's definitely got a dark, but mysterious tone. The piano and horns are dope. The tones and placement of the instruments work real well together too. There's a part tho that gets real low around 1:20 and it takes several seconds for the beat to come in at full volume. Maybe bring in the instruments at 1:35 at full level instead. Other than that, I really love this. Sounds like u worked hard on it & it came out dope