Second Attempt...

The drums are the wrong kind for hip hop, they are live drums more suited to a live band. It gets repetitive too, there isnt any variation. It needs some variation to keep it interesting, and the mix could use a bit of work too. Get yourself some drum samples and ditch the live drums for hip hop. Heres the drums I use....

Thank you for the advice...it will be used for sure. Yeah, I get stuck on 4-8 bars when I'm doing digital. I have about 4 years worth of those...just need to get them.yo go together. Haha

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
Let's see if this one does any better...I label it hip hop...that should give you an idea of what generation I'm from...

Cool little piece of music.
Musically it's good.
Like 2g said, wrong kind of drums. They are a vibe for the track, so you could use the same qualities but in more fitting sounds and it'd be great.
The mix sounds 'choked'. and things sound very thin from when that bass comes in.

If you were able to give like, 8bars of trackouts, excluding the drums, I'd love to show you how that song could sound.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
Honestly, I like the rock rap vibe, personally. Having said that, the music behind it doesn't work with the drums. It needs an electric guitar, particularly replacing lower frequency synth. The beat itself gives me 80s pop vibes with the higher freq synths (which is one of my guilty pleasures. I love cheesy 80s synth music) with a mix of 90s rap rock (which I also like).

I don't hate it at all. I agree though, it really could use some variation. Generally I do 8 bars for every loop, but I'll switch it up in the middle with individual melodies that I substitute the initial loop with to keep it interesting. Drops, and adding/removing instruments helps with that too. Theres a lot of tools at your disposal that don't require a huge amount of effort that can really keep your ear listening to a piece of music even though technically its just loops.

Cool little piece of music.
Musically it's good.
Like 2g said, wrong kind of drums. They are a vibe for the track, so you could use the same qualities but in more fitting sounds and it'd be great.
The mix sounds 'choked'. and things sound very thin from when that bass comes in.

If you were able to give like, 8bars of trackouts, excluding the drums, I'd love to show you how that song could sound.
Wow...thank you for that. I'll make some edits and get it to you

Honestly, I like the rock rap vibe, personally. Having said that, the music behind it doesn't work with the drums. It needs an electric guitar, particularly replacing lower frequency synth. The beat itself gives me 80s pop vibes with the higher freq synths (which is one of my guilty pleasures. I love cheesy 80s synth music) with a mix of 90s rap rock (which I also like).

I don't hate it at all. I agree though, it really could use some variation. Generally I do 8 bars for every loop, but I'll switch it up in the middle with individual melodies that I substitute the initial loop with to keep it interesting. Drops, and adding/removing instruments helps with that too. Theres a lot of tools at your disposal that don't require a huge amount of effort that can really keep your ear listening to a piece of music even though technically its just loops.
I agree with that electric guitar. Ive been using some stock Studio One 5 plugins and instruments...but my library is slowly increasing. Thank you for the advice.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
Ive been using some stock Studio One 5 plugins and instruments..
ngl, when I bought Studio One, that was my first step in going 'fully legit'. I made some bangers for a while solely off stock S1.

It's good when you go this way, because you get to understand truly 'what I'm missing', you'll hit a point where you go (for example), "I need a really high quality piano vst" or "I need a really specific type of compressor emulation" etc etc etc

You truly get to see what you need, but more importantly understand WHY you need it!

So especially when starting out if you just download like every single revered EQ/Compressor emulation. You'll literally have no real idea WHY to use one of the other --- I remember when I did that, I was like 'yeahhh I'ma use this API EQ' and I was like 'hm, I dunno, it just feels less easy to use than my visual stock EQ' and would end up using stock or some dif EQ(*).

(*)So when you start to get a lot deeper into it, following the path above, you'll be like 'I need a 'smooth sounding' EQ', or 'this EQ is very warm, but on this track I need a 'clean' sounding EQ', or 'this EQ adds depth, but I need an EQ that pushes things 'forward' in the mix.' Or 'this EQ is smearing transients'.
^THIS is that absolute subtle madness you've got to look forward to o_O in the meantime enjoy the journey and approach it humbly.

EDIT: continued from last paragraph... not to mention, coming to learn what those terms actually mean and sound like. :confusedphones:

Last edited: