schools of sound recording

D

DJ Equity

there is a sound recording school near wher i live called the technics academy.

i was thinking about taking one of the cources thier. my problem is i dont know which one to take or if i should go to it at all. please help

Equity :booty:

B

Briellz

Yo EQ....Im currently in school at a Recording arts institute.

Peep it out.....Http://www.iprschool.com

They only offered 2 different programs. One was Recording Engineer, and Production...

Im pretty much set production wise...but I picked the Engineer program because i'll learn more about the studio...the setup...fixing problems within the studio...and just stuff like that.

If your really serious about this music stuff bro...follow your heart!

Hit me back if you got any questions!

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

What do you hope to acheive by attending such a school? Briellz seems to have a good sense of direction and picked a course which will suit his needs.

Beware, though: there are plenty of people who get degrees from these places and end up working at Guitar Center by day selling drums or patch cables, working at Denny's by night asking if you'd 'like fries with your chicken fingers'.

And this is just to pay off the $20,000+ for the courses!

Nick

B

Briellz

Well Im taking the Engineering Courses. I don't need the Production one because Im already good in that area ya know?

Its like $10,000 a year. After school im not really worried about where im going to be working, because the school gonna hook me up with a placement within there studios.

What I want to do is move out east...I wanna work at a studio in Jersey or NY. Or just be an ON CALL engineer/producer whenever somebody need me!

I highly reccommed a recording arts college...its very interesting, and you have a lot of hands on stuff. Plus you get to work with a lot of artist from all over.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Just make sure you stay away from those little engineer courses. Y'know, the ones that are like private courses with a small class, given in a regular recording studio. I got caught up in that shit back in '94. It was a ok course, but it was basically all theory, we didn't touch any equipment until we had to mixdown a song for the final exam.

If you're thinking of taking a course, make sure it's with a well known, legit school - not some small local thing given by an engineer who records country music!

B

Briellz

We have to mix shit like everyday....and some days we make our own track...and do all the mixin and stuff like that.

Im paying tooooo much money to not have hands on....I had to ask them before I enrolled there. :D

P

Prophet

it is a waste of your time and money. you must get into business another way, through connection with people.

B

Briellz

Prophet why you always gotta be sooooo negitive....

Its like if people don't do something like how you would....then they are wrong....they won't make it....Blah Blah Blah! :fuckyou:

You need to pull your head out ya ass bro!

Im happy with my school...Im happy with my career....im happy! so lets leave it at that!

(No hard feelings :rolleyes: )

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Prophet, I think, is right in saying that 'it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know', people's music doesn't get signed and airplay because of their talent necessarily, but because the label bosses get involved in shady deals with the radio stations (who are owned by big companies who also own the labels).

An example: if you listen to different stations that have similar format and content, you will notice that there are some tracks which are NEVER played on one station which are played to death on another, logically they should both be playing them to death.

However, because of some stupid deal that one artist has with the label (who has indirect ties to a station), the station will put that track into rotation until the label wants a different one played. And because there is some bad blood between that artist/label and the second station/parent company, the second station won't play the artist's tracks at all. It's completely political!

A problem with these recording schools is that they are SO expensive and they don't guarantee you any work in the recording industry. I've mentioned before that everyone I've ever met who went to such a school ends up working at music stores paying off their debts to the school instead of working in a studio. If you read about a lot of the people who do make it big in the industry, all the way from engineers and producers to masterers (sp?), they got their start by simply doing internships or acting as gofers in studios where they managed to slowly learn the trade and meet all the right people, eventually they get work doing small mixing/recording jobs for no-name bands and eventually make a name for themselves.

Certainly, as a graduate you may know a lot of stuff, but there are tons of others out there who know a lot more who never went to school, they just got stuck in and went for it.

In Briellz's defense, not everyone can be lucky enough to get into such lucky internships/gofer jobs, and going to a school is probably the next best thing. You get the hands on experience of working a real console, patch bay, mixdown deck, etc., plus you get to learn some audio and arrangement theory with all the latest gear and software. And who knows, with all that experience, you may be able to start your own production project instead of working for someone! It's just a shame that it's so darn expensive.

I'm not saying that people who graduate from these schools ALL end up working at McDonalds or anything like that, surely a percentage of the graduates do in fact get jobs in the industry somewhere or else these schools would go out of business; I just haven't met any!

Briellz, you're going to probably have a lot of access to all sorts of different facets of the recording industry, you may come across something in one of your classes that you'll truly be interested in and it will take you on a path that you may have never thought of before going to school.

I went to university to study French, my goal in life was to live in France and teach English. In a German class there was this guy who liked industrial music, he had me round to his place and showed me his little studio which had Cakewalk 3.0 running on an old Intel 486 with 8mb ram, MS-DOS 6, Korg MS1r, Alpha Juno 2, TX81Z, and some HUGE home-made speakers. After messing around with his gear, I was hooked and decided that I wanted to learn how to sequence my own techno music. I started buying synths, then I built my own computer, replaced all my Radium cracks with licensed versions...

After graduating I did live in France for a while teaching at a high school, but it was crap pay and the shops all close at 6:00 pm, I came back to the states and was able to use the knowledge I got from building and troubleshooting my own music computers to get jobs making training videos for companies, setting up small networks, audio transfers, simple database stuff, etc. Now I make pretty good money as an IT consultant for one of the businesses at the airport.

The point is that if I had tried to stick it out as a dj I may not have done so well as everyone and their mom is a dj now. Because I met someone in a German class who showed me his synths and sequencers, it sparked my interest in something I knew nothing of. I got more involved in that interest, and over time it developed into a pretty good career and a fun hobby. To think that I went to school to study languages, and now I mess with computers and synths...:D

School is all about opportunity, so stick with it Briellz, don't let anyone (including me) discourage you.

"Knowledge is Power"-Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Nick

B

Briellz

Im gonna put it like this....go to www.Iprschool.com. Look at the staff's background...........They been in the music shit for many years.....and they have the right connections with Artist & label's. We work with artist everyday!

LOL...You guys are makin me sound like im a dumb ass...gezzz I did my research before I enrolled people! I know for a fact that I didn't spit out $10,000 to not be working after that!

Hawla!

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

I meant absolutely no disrespect to you or your school. In fact, I applaud you for making a go for it!

I wonder, though, how all the staff there got to be involved with the music industry for so many years...did they go to school as well? I see that one of them went to Berklee, what about the rest?

Nick

B

Briellz

Umm....A lot of them use to work with prince....

Some said they went to this workshop place in ohio...a lot of artist go there for school....

Umm....Thats all I really know!

P

Prophet

I do not try to disrespect anybody but many of these school are give false hope to people in thinking that they can buy their way into a good position in the music industry. That is completely not the real.

members online