sampling multiple songs

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
aside from drums, how many people here will sample sounds for one track from different songs? I always just use one track for one track, i have only a few times used multiple sources for samples to make one beat. i wanna know how many of you guys will use samples from different songs in one beat, and how often you do this, and what kinda problems you encounter with that shit (everything in key) etc. I'm very curious, cus im wodnering whether its a good way to step my game up, you know what i mean. SO WHATS UP

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I have been sampling one song myself for a long time because it seemed the easiest, but lately i have been trying to use different samples from different records, i will use like 5+ records to make a beat, and honestly you have a lot more room for creativity. When i do it i just make a drum pattern, and just get on the turntable to sample some this i think i is ill, and i will just try to find sounds that fit with the beat. The only problem is making sure all of your samples are on key, can get frustrating.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
To Frustrating and Time Consuming IMO unless its a few stabs here and there then its do able though

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
It's gangsta as hell when 5 or 6 different artists do the same song, and you sample each version. It makes for one hell of a challenge too.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
x\SoopaD/x said:
Imagine how much it'll be to clear a sample using 3 different songs in one track.

yeah thats the only problem, but if you make some ill shit and sell it to a big time artist, it can be done, but just put the responsibility on the artist to clear the samples, thats what i do, ain't my problem

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
I usually got one track for the main sounds, and often one or two for drums.

Then I throw on a couple of James Brown grunts for a couple of his songs.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
artist like DJ shadow and RJD2 do it all the time sample multiple records to make 1 song. I usually sample a lotta my strings sounds from a 101 strings record instead of using keyboard presets. But one way is to organize your library of samples. Like instead of looking for some groove to sample make folders with diffrent types of stabs, hits, guitar parts, stings, horn etc. That way you can have something already to use when you have that main sample you want to build aroud. Getting the sample to fit in key is another story. Most times you have to keep trying till you get close then you can pitch it up or down to get it to lock in

Vell

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i love samplin from multiple songs. if u can get them in key good but sometimes u cant and u still get a sound that is great. most times a sound that u havent heard before so its some most people like.

WhoDoneIt?

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
ive done it a couple of times it requires alot of work i can get like 20 sounds of 1 vinyl record without alot of brakes though i just have that ear

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it makes me feel a lot better about my beats when i do that, so i try to throw in at least a few little sounds from other places. gives you some more atmosphere and sometimes you come up with something really ill.

sometimes, even things that are way out of key can sound tight together. THATs reallly gangster.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
sampling from multiple songs is the shit. Depending on the beat though, it shouldn't be too difficult to get stuff cleared. Hopefully some of the samples won't be recognizable at all and you only have to worry about one. Thats how I try and keep it anyways.

Using multiple samples opens up a whole world of creativity and infinite possibilities.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
When making beats neva think about clearance just think about making the music, otherwise u will stifle ur creativity needlessly.

Plus im guessing that ur not currently working with multi platnium artists so its not even an issue yet so dont sweat it.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
JPeg said:
When making beats neva think about clearance just think about making the music, otherwise u will stifle ur creativity needlessly.

Plus im guessing that ur not currently working with multi platnium artists so its not even an issue yet so dont sweat it.
I respectfully disagree and believe the opposite.
I always think about clearence and as a result it has forced me to be ultra creative by being original.
I work everyday on getting this stuff out here and the last thing that I need is to have the Harry Fox agency knocking at my door talking about it'll cost 100 grand to clear an obscure riff after I have gotten it on the radio and put money behind it.
I think if you are truly serious you need to always keep things like clearence in mind.
Thats just me.
If your going to sample then I suggest such small snippets that are then manipulated to the extent that if anyone can identify it they deserve whatever is commin to em plus bonus.
Dont get me wrong tho I see your point.
*Ducks to avoid the comming critisism of the pro sampling crowd*

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Don't duck lol. Take it!

ha, na not at all. You have real valid points though. My thing is I agree with both of you. I try to avoid buying or even listening to records I think would be popular or possibly hard to clear. I'm talking real popular ones mainly. It's not worth listening and then hearing something that has potential and then finding out later that you need XXX amount of money to clear it. You can make original and creative stuff from lesser known samples that bangs much harder, it's all possible.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's the way the forefathers did it. I think all this technology got us lazy to be honest. And i can't front, I've fallen victim...

It is hard to get samples from different records and different keys to work together. I think it is a good approach to find a good ten or so records with dope drums (to give yourself a consistent sound) and then lift vocal samples and instrument samples from another song - one for one.

Its easier to make a beat from multiple records if you're not sampling phrases, but single notes instead...

members online