Roast the New Guy

Jimulacrum

Battle Points: 2
Hi all. Just got into making beats and found this forum. I've uploaded 4 beats, all pretty different, and I'd like some feedback (a) in general and (b) specific to each beat. Whatever you feel like providing.

No need to hold back. Lovely if you have compliments, but I know I'm new and probably need constructive criticism more than anything.

Thanks!

Benjamin's Ballad:
Make It Count:
Four Little Birds:
He Forgets:

Jimulacrum

I think volume is a little too high on some of the sounds in each track. But overall u got good creative beats.
Thank you very much. The four I linked above are basically practice work, and I don't really plan on doing more with them.

This other track, I feel is better than those four, but maybe has the same weakness. What do you think? Any specific recommendations? I may do a revision of this one and re-release if it sounds substantially better.

Benjamins Ballad - Start using reverb and delay on your sounds, they sound very dry and pretty poor quality patches, they sound like stock sounds. To get more out of stock sounds reverbs, delays or some modulation like chorus, phasing and flanger can squeeze a bit of life out of shit stock sounds. Dont use reverb on kicks at least not yet, but definitely use subtle reverb on snares, claps and hi hats and instruments in the mid to higher frequency ranges. Bass frequencies dont respond well to reverb so I always cut below 400hz on my reverb eq, this makes the reverb more subtle, less is more with reverb, just like women with makeup. Get it to sound how you want it, then dial it back a little. Its easy to over do reverb, I speak from personal experience.

Now the constructive criticism is out the way on that, I think you show great promise for somebody that has just started, Id consider investing into some vst synths. Get BBC Symphony Orchestra Free by Spitfire Audio, its free and I use it all the time. Also consider sampling, I came here many many years ago as a composing producer and learned pretty quick that in hip hop that sampled sound can be very important, plus the art of sampling is an invaluable weapon to have in your arsenal.

Jimulacrum

Benjamins Ballad - Start using reverb and delay on your sounds, they sound very dry and pretty poor quality patches, they sound like stock sounds. To get more out of stock sounds reverbs, delays or some modulation like chorus, phasing and flanger can squeeze a bit of life out of shit stock sounds. Dont use reverb on kicks at least not yet, but definitely use subtle reverb on snares, claps and hi hats and instruments in the mid to higher frequency ranges. Bass frequencies dont respond well to reverb so I always cut below 400hz on my reverb eq, this makes the reverb more subtle, less is more with reverb, just like women with makeup. Get it to sound how you want it, then dial it back a little. Its easy to over do reverb, I speak from personal experience.

Now the constructive criticism is out the way on that, I think you show great promise for somebody that has just started, Id consider investing into some vst synths. Get BBC Symphony Orchestra Free by Spitfire Audio, its free and I use it all the time. Also consider sampling, I came here many many years ago as a composing producer and learned pretty quick that in hip hop that sampled sound can be very important, plus the art of sampling is an invaluable weapon to have in your arsenal.
Thank you so much for all of this.

I've been listening to hip-hop since I was a kid, so I'm familiar with sampling and know the first four beats don't have enough. I've just been enjoying composing things note by note as I've gotten accustomed to using a DAW.

"Blunted with the March Hare" has a short sample that repeats throughout, but all the rest is composed music. My current project is much more sample-heavy; the entire background loop is made of sounds I cut up and stitched together from a longer sample.

Hopefully I'll have the inspiration to get my current beat done in time for the next battle. I'll keep what you've said in mind as I work.

Thank you so much for all of this.

I've been listening to hip-hop since I was a kid, so I'm familiar with sampling and know the first four beats don't have enough. I've just been enjoying composing things note by note as I've gotten accustomed to using a DAW.

"Blunted with the March Hare" has a short sample that repeats throughout, but all the rest is composed music. My current project is much more sample-heavy; the entire background loop is made of sounds I cut up and stitched together from a longer sample.

Hopefully I'll have the inspiration to get my current beat done in time for the next battle. I'll keep what you've said in mind as I work.
Im equally at home composing and sampling, composing and the theory behind it gives you a great platform to build upon, its worked for me personally.
Banging away on the keys is a great way to learn how to play too, how to train your ears for pitch matching is essential for matching a sample and playing along with it. Thats why I think its a great platform to start from. I can compose a beat without sampling, but I cant sample a beat without composing( I probably could by thats far too much hard work, im fucking lazy)

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 7
Well I won't be able to give any better feedback that you already received but let me tell you that we all been there once and the fact that you are willing to hear the sad hard truth to be better it the best thing you can do ! Keep going mate !

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Your beats sound better than 90% of the guys who win beat battles on this forum

Neo Magazin Mic Drop GIF by ZDF Magazin Royale

inflated sac

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 1
I see what youre going for, great start. a lot of these with just some basic music theory behind them and a little variation in the melodies could easily get you to the next level. Keep going, if youre looking for some awesome free pluggins, i would recommend Labs by spitfire audio, they also have another pluggin called bbc orchestra that has some really high quality sounds.

inflated sac

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 1
I see what youre going for, great start. a lot of these with just some basic music theory behind them and a little variation in the melodies could easily get you to the next level. Keep going, if youre looking for some awesome free pluggins, i would recommend Labs by spitfire audio, they also have another pluggin called bbc orchestra that has some really high quality sounds.
also looking for better drum packs couldnt hurt

members online