Ripping Vinyl with Traktor Scratch Audio 6

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
hey guys,

So my rane ttm56s decided not to work last weekend. (probably a fuse, but im too scared to open it up and make things worse. and cant find anyone to service the damn thing.)

Last night i had the idea of sampling vinyl using my Technics sl1200 connected to my Traktor A6 directly to my laptop running Traktor/Audacity Software. Tried it this morning and ran into a bit of trouble which I cant figure out.

I had input signal coming in, but i cant hear anything through my laptop, tried recording and it works, but i want to be able to hear what im recording through my laptop.

I want to be able to import that recording as well to Maschine.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Peace!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You should be able to record directly with Maschine, did you try that? I have the audio8dj and I record through that with Maschine. What kind of laptop and operating system do you have?

Bugsy

ILLIEN
You should be able to record directly with Maschine, did you try that?

No, I havent thought of that yet. was more concerned with the audio coming out of the laptop, wasnt really thinking about that yet. will try that now.

I have the audio8dj and I record through that with Maschine. What kind of laptop and operating system do you have?

Ive got an old HP G62 running on windows 7.

Im particularly concerned about the audio coming out of the laptop. there is a signal from the turntable to traktor, but the signal is more on the left side of the channel and a little faint on the right. BUT...there is nothing coming out of the laptop or the interface itself. tried everything i could think of.

would you be able to walk me through on how u set yours up?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well if you look at this photo:

traktorscratchpro_carac4.jpg

It's using the Traktor cables to go into the DJ mixer and also the interface. For you though, if you're just using 1 turntable into the interface, you should be able to go right into the input no problem. It's just an audio in.

Now in Windows what stumps me sometimes is the audio settings. So right now I have Channel D of my interface for both my input/output (playback/recording in the Windows mixer).

So with the A6 interface, it should be the same thing. Can you tell me how you have your setup right now?

audio_61.jpg

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Currently I have the Technics SL1200 > Input A Traktor A6 > USB Laptop.

Audio Setup: Traktor A6 as the Audio Device. (it is the only option that gives me input signal when i play a vinyl on the technics sl1200.
everything is as it should be. Phono on and Direct Thru off.

Ive been able to get sound out of the Laptop Speakers if i chose Realtek High Def, if i play an mp3 but doesnt give me the option to run phono .

Ive been able to get the input signal from the turntable, and have been able to record, but i cant get the signal to play through the speakers while its recording/playing.

It might be a setting on traktor that im not aware of.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
its just a normal pc speaker so its plugged straight into the laptop headphone jack...
So that tells me it's an issue with your Windows mixer setting. When you right-click the speaker icon in Windows, choose Playback Devices - what's there?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
What about the Properties of each of those output channels? I know there's something like "listen to this device" in there somewhere.
Also, what about the interface's mixer? What settings does it have?

And can you hear the output if you plug your headphones into the A6? Because I don't know what would cause your laptop's soundcard output not to work, it seems like you have everything setup properly. I'm not using a laptop but I use my Audio8 as my PC's soundcard, so maybe you should have speakers connected to the outputs of the A6. That should work no problem.

Do you have a mixer? Because you could have the output of the A6 go to the mixer, then output your mixer to your speakers.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
LOL, so it's fixed? What was it?

For Maschine it's probably in your Maschine settings. With my Audio8DJ interface there's a Channel A, B, C, D. I use D as the main output. So I have this:

maschine1.jpg

maschine3.jpg

maschine2.jpg

Check yours and see what's what. It's probably just that.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I don't have speakers hooked up to the interface, I have a mixer. But what about the headphone jack of the interface? Can you hear it from there? Do you have speakers hooked up to it?